• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how long..

only for walks. i can't think of any reason to keep his harness on him other than that.

Sally and Sam wear theres nearly all day as we go on 4-5 short walks aday. They get so excited that it safes a lot of hard work.

Only for walks or rides in the car .

Mine wear collars all of the time with their Id tag ...........when we go for walks or rides I put their Puppias on ( I still leave their collars on )

Only for walks.

They sit and "give paw" well so only takes about 10-15 seconds to put Puppia harness on, 10 seconds to take them off. They wear collar and tag all the time.

If we are going for a short car ride before the walk I put the car harnesses on over the top of the puppia harnesses. The car harnesses take maybe up to 20 seconds to put on. They have 2 sets of straps to close but I have marked one of the pairs of straps (the round-the-neck-ones) with a black blob so it's easy to match them up and click them first. Then when we get to our destination it's quick to get them out of the car and off for fun as they are already in their puppias.

On a longer car ride we may use a crate and then they would probably wear their puppias so they can come straight out and leads clipped on.

But in the house they just wear collars. The puppias are often muddy after a walk so I would not keep them on them all day. Oh...and the puppies are often muddier!!!

But it's easy for us as they can go out safely in the garden in between times for wees etc so they are not going out for walks as often.

If I am there I sometimes leave them on between a walk or two as I also have to walk the dogs about 4 times a day -- no garden for them to do their business. I wouldn't leave them on if I am not there, as Jaspar and Leo both have gotten a leg out of one side and the harness twisted around once or twice when playing and I'd be concerned about that if I weren't there to fix it. Also the harness could catch on something when they are alone. One harness that is popular here is shaped like a figure eight and could easily choke a dog if it caught on something while the dog was alone, as it can tighten if the dog pulls hard against it.

I find the harnesses seem to take hair off their chest at the very base, where their ribcage ends, if they are left on too much of the time, so it is probably best to mostly use them for walks. I used to leave them on a lot more during the day when I realised the abrasion was wearing off a bit of their hair. This might not happen with others' dogs; mine have fairly fine coats.

thanks for replies everyone.... i guess i'll have to get a collar to because by the time i get her harness on for her 1st pee on a morning (as i'm starting to take her out as shes had all her vaccs) she'll be to late......

there are some things zack is not that sharp about, like learning to roll over, and then there are things he's a genius about, and one of them is getting into his harness, or collar, or whatever. He has always tried to help get it on, i think he knows it means he gets to go out. The harness i use, the easy walker, is not the easiest to put on, they make it a two tone color to help you know which strap to put where, it's kind of confusing, but Zack makes it as easy as possible, he waits patiently while i fumble with it, and he lifts up his little foot to try to put it in the openning, and on good days, i have it right so he doesn't have to take it off and do it over. :? before i got the easy walker, i used a harness where they put their head through first, and he was brilliant at that, couldn't wait to get his head in it and was very cooperative in allowing it to be fastened.

belle's breeder told Lisa not to leave a collar on except when necessary for walks because it would have a bad effect on the fur, and the coat should be free of the chaffing of a collar. That's where i first got the idea not to leave a collar or harness on. Zack never wears a collar, his ID tags are on his harness. i have a back yard so he gets walked only once a day, plus trips to the outdoor mall, the dog park, pet store, other shopping trips on leash, so the harness goes on about once a day.

Back