• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi everyone

coconut

Hi only got my little puppy today, he is so cute and i love him! Quick question did anyone have trouble with feed for the frist day and tummy noises?????

icon_welcome
Congrats on your new puppy!
I personally didn't have trouble feeding my new pup on the first day, but I was warned by my breeder that this can happen while the puppy is adjusting to the new environment. The puppy may not eat much or may have loose stool because she is frightened being without her siblings and mother all of a sudden. Nevertheless, keep a close eye on the puppy's condition, and contact your vet if it seems excessive. I know others on this site can offer more advice- I'm not an expert! Check out the search feature too.
Have fun with the puppy! :paw:

My breeder sent home with me a little bit of food that he was already eating so that I could combine it with what I intended on feeding him. If you know what your pup was on I would advise not changing it cold turkey as this could cause a very upset tummy.

Good luck and welcome!!! :flwr:

yeah they have given me food and all for freddie but he is not interested think it might just be cos of it being first day and all!

If it's moist food, try dipping your finger in it and putting it to his mouth. Congratulations on your new baby. I can't wait to see a picture.

So happy he is back eating this morning and he has being having a good bit of water and lots of sleep, so lazy but so cute!!

Can anyone tell me how to put pic's up??

:oops: I forgot to say ...

icon_welcome The first day with a new puppy is SOOOO exciting!!!

Well, to let you in on a not very well kept secret ... every day just keeps getting better and better actually!! :jmp2:

Is his name Freddie??? Congratulations & enjoy this site! There are lots of great people here and it is a good place to come to get advice too, as well as seeing lots of pictures of lovely Cavy babies!! :flwr:

Can't wait to see pics of your little guy.

hey all here is my little man he is a cutie pie!! he is trying to key the keys at the moment!!!

IMG_0685.jpg

Just a quick question is there any way i can help freddie at night, last night was his second night and he was not happy at all he cried for over an hour in the carrier that we are getting him to sleep in, i left telly on and even left him in my room in the end, so i am up since 6 this morning :( and when i left after bring him out for a walk he was asleep on the sofa!! :)

Any idea's for night time? :yikes

I gave in after Busta was crying for about 40 minutes, but he was downstairs on his own (no excuse I know) - now I have three in the bed with us... if you can ignore the crying then it will work eventually, and he will get used to being in a crate.....

Just a quick question is there any way i can help freddie at night

Try leaving an item of your clothing in his bed (something that has your smell on it) and it might help him to settle.

I've also heard of people getting toys/pillows that have a heartbeat sound so the puppy thinks he is sleeping beside his mother. I've never tried it because we mostly had more than 1 dog when we had new puppies but maybe someone else on the board has tried it?

If you can ignore him it is probably best (for you!) if he sleeps in his own bed. He will get used to it but I know it is hard to leave the little baby crying :flwr:

Let us know how he gets on tonight!

Thanks for that casshon, i have actually heard of that pillow before!! will let ye know how tonight goes!

Freddie was as quiet as a mouse last night! :lol: left him in the sitting room asleep and when i got up this morning he was awake sitting in the corner barking at me as if to say "u left me"!!

i have being bring freddie outside for walks and he has never once done his business out there! is this usual?? he is going in the house on papers that i have done, as we are in an apt at the moment and it is to far to try and get out with him! we are moving into our new home in 3 weeks! :)

I'm so glad he slept for you last night - he's such a cutie.

I know how you feel with the toilet training. I'm trying to train my 2 new little girls (they are around 4). They are doing very well, just a few accidents here and there but they don't really go to the toilet on walks either. When we let them out in the garden it takes them ages to go (not really a good idea with the gale force wind and rain we are having the moment :D ). I think patience is the key, they will figure it out eventually!

Freddie is still very young and because you don't have a garden yet he probably doesn't know that he is supposed to go to the toilet outside!

Best of luck in your new house :flwr:

Coconut - Tucker came to me paper-trained @4.5 months old. I continue to use piddle pads/training pads for him in the house when the weather is bad, or it's very late at night, or very early morning. This works for me. He goes on the pads. No other place. I keep a spray bottle filled with half-vinegar, half-water, usee to wash the floor if he splashes or pees too close to a corner and it rolls off a bit. I reward him with a treat if i'm awake/home when he uses the pad. I keep two pads down in the same corner all the time. Otherwise he goes outside, which is his preference, because he waits by the back door when he has to go, if I don't take him out, he uses the pads. Last winter in Tucker's first snow storm I took him out and he dove into a snow bank. Thank God he's black and tan, as he was in well over his head!

OH yeah, I bring treats outside with me too, especially in the beginning and each time he went the bathroom outside I gave him a treat too.

casshon- thanks for that tell me about it- we nearly got blown away on sat night and freddie is so small, he is starting to walk on his lead and he is so cute!!

Joanne m- thanks for the tip about vinegar and water i am going to use that this evening!

What treats can i give freddie as he is very young!

Back