• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Australia, Cesar and poop!!!

Cathy T

Better you're wondering where this is going?!!! :shock: The latest issue of Whole Dog Journal is packed full of good articles. The editor finally makes her views known on Cesar Milan....and it ain't an endorsement!! I liked her column. She didn't slam anyone but very matter of factly made some very good points.

You Aussies sure know how to treat your dogs!! Pat Miller, the trainer, went to a symposium in Australia and did some site seeing while there. Sounds like she was very impressed with the Australians view on training. No choke chains!!! She also commented on the number of Cavaliers there. Interesting, huh?

And this one for many of us....what's going on with our dog's eating poop??!! Their own and others. Some really good info. I think I'm going to stick with the part of the article that advices manging the situation. Shelby gets an enzyme and a probiotic and still eats her own. I guess she figured it tasted so yummy going in the first time...maybe it twice as good the second time :yikes Luckily she only eats her own and I almost always pick it up before she gets to it. A quick "ah ah" and she will leave it alone.

If you don't get WDJ...I can't recommend it stronly enough. Always has such timely and informative articles. Go to http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

Cathy T said:
......I guess she figured it tasted so yummy going in the first time...maybe it twice as good the second time....

:rotfl:

Thanks for the tip about the articles. I do subscribe to it buy haven't seen the new issue in my inbox yet.

I agree, no better way to spend a few bucks than on a subscription to the WDJ. We got ours yesterday, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

Okay.......CHa CHING.....Just subscribed and now downloading the Dec. issue.....Uh and yeah......sweet little Katydid um, well, eats her poop....ewwwwww! :yikes

Oh and Cathy, please forgive me but I forget when Katy will be allowed to have probiotics......I'm thinking after she is a year old? She will be six months on the 8th and she is a whopping 10 pounds. ;)
Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little katydid

i don't know any reason that a puppy could not have probiotics. they're pretty harmless, though you should get some guidance for an individual dog from someone with experience. Zack had colitis when he was 4-5 months old and he took a couple of kinds of antibiotics, which is one of the reasons to take supplemental probiotics. I got Baby Jarro Dophillus, or something like that (from the Jarrow company), at the health foods store, it was in the refrigerated section of supplements, i've been told (at the homeopathic pharmacy) that the refrigerated kind are more potent, or retain potency better, than the kind that don't have to be refrigerated. The kind i got, according to the label, was for babies and small children up to 4 years. There were detailed directions on the container. I mixed it in water in a syringe and gave it to zack by mouth, following the directions for a small baby, just going by weight. I have also tried putting this mixture around the eyes for tear staining on zack and belle, because if the staining is a reaction to yeast, probiotics are supposed to help get yeast in check, and sometimes it has seemed to work, other times not.

i just realized i got the December issue back on November 16. i hadn't read that column about cesar milan, i agree, it was well said and balanced, while making her opinion clear.

Thanks Cathy! Yes we Aussie do love our dogs and Cavs are pretty popular here. I'm not sure that everyone is really that well informed on the breed though. There have been those lifestyle shows that have featured Cavaliers and I guess that makes them popular as they are always highly recommended, especially for families. Dog training... means TREATS :D
Julie and the girls

Back