• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Marking ??

Baileyboy

I went to my mums yeasterday as I do every weekend and Bailey had a pee up her curtains...... I saw him do it and ran over to him, firmley said no and took him out side, he did another wee so I brought him back in.

15 mins later he did it again up the other curtain...... My mum doesn't have any animals so there is no other scent there and he's never done it before.. Any idea's ?????? :sl*p:

Has he been fixed? Spencer was terrible about doing that in everyone's house except mine until we got him fixed. It has majorly helped in him not marking everything that would hold still long enough. :flwr:

You just have to watch boys. Jake will mark in the most unusual places. When I take him somewhere new, the first thing we do is go outside to a potty place. Then I have to watch him like a hawk...the very moment he does that sideways move (telling me he's getting ready to mark, or before if I see him doing a suspicious sniff) I'll say "ah ah". Luckily on our last trip the only place he marked was on the bathroom tile floor...easy to clean up.

Thank GOD Kosmo doesn't do this. I think he knows that if he tried it he'd get in SOME trouble. He's not much of a "marker" though I don't think.. but then again he was fixed @ 5 months? He's just starting to try the lifting now but if I ever seen him doing it in someone's house he'd first get in trouble then I'd most likely kick him outside and then when I felt like he understood he'd come back in on a leash with mommy holding him.

I've already devised a plan and nothing's even happened yet. :yikes

Good luck with Bailey.. I really hope Kosmo never even thinks to try to start that.

Tucker has done this twice at my sister Maura's house. She has a dog. The first three times I brought him there he never lifted his leg. Suddenly Maura gets a new carpet and Tucker decides to pee on it. I haven't brought him back since. Unfortunately as a family we gather at Maura's home for most holidays, and I don't like keeping Tucker all alone on Christmas day (especially). I'm considering getting something like this for him, only for when I take him visiting.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14457&N=2001+113858

I would of course make sure he goes before we go in and take him out periodically depending on how long I stay. I don't think he's doing it intentionally, he loves going to Maura's house, he loves seeing all my family. He runs around like the rest of the kids do. I think it was his excitement or something. It was like he didn't even realize he was doing it. Fortunately I was right there and immediately soaked a cloth and believe I got the spot out. He didn't go that much.

Here's another product too:

http://www.dog.com./itemdy00.asp?T1=320906+SM&QTY=1&More+Info.x=66&More+Info.y=16

Maybe tying a cloth wrap around them would work too. It's not like he's going lots when he lifts his leg, and since they're not unattended when they do it, we'd see it right away and check the cloth for wetness. I'm thinking as I'm typing because I haven't resolved this issue for myself yet and Christmas will be here soon.

hmmm, I'm of no help I'm afraid. I was wondering the same thing though earlier on today though when, after dragging all the christmas decorations in from the shed, Max, my 17 month old Max who hasn't had an accident since he was fully trained way back when promptly cocked his leg and peed all over the bags th one kitchen floor.....!
I mean, what was that about? I wondered then if there was a scent of perhaps something else off them - the shed I guess perhaps has something else living in it.....??? :yikes - anyway - just in case - promptly removed dogs - and cleaned everything up with an anti-bac spray as well as an odor/scent remover and dumped bags - perhaps someone has an idea on this...

An unfixed male is very likely to mark in new places unless you work to train him not to and also keep a close eye. Neutered males will also sometimes mark -- neutering doesn;t always get rid of that urge but does more than half the time. They'll mark things that have an interesting or new smell sometimes and especially are prone to marking inside a house they don't know. Every single unneutered male rescue I have had in my house always tries to lift a leg -- every single darn one! :lol: This is one of the main reasons people neuter males. It doesn't really have anything to do with the dog being housetrained in the main sense of housetrained, though it does in that it is a behaviour associated with housetraining that you don't want. Most will not start doing this until at least 6-8 months of age and are more likely to mark as they mature. Females also sometimes will mark but that is rarer.

My boys mark but only outside on walks. Leo occasionally will try to mark in a house full of other dog scents but this is very rare. Jaspar never does. However outside he marks paper bags and empty crisp bags -- maybe the oil smell is interesting to him, I don't know. Leo doesn't mark such things!

Here's an excellent article about why male and female dogs sometimes start to have accidents, and what to do about it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=127&A=2284&S=1

I have to add in on this post, Dudley was neutered before 5 months of age, and when ever I take him to somebody's home that has a dog he marks. Darby on the other hand is still in tact at 8 months and to-date has not marked.

I am trying my best to wait until Darby is a bit older to have him neutered, but I ordered these classy bellybands to take with me just in case.

Here is the link

http://www.tiabellas.com/boutique/belly-bands-click-more-styles-p-438.html

I hope this helps or Dudley will not be going to visit Kosmo. :( :( :(

This is precisely why I decided against boys. I know bitches sometimes mark, but as Karlin said, that's rarer. Ditto with humping- although again, it's something some bitches do, but thankfully neither of mine have show such proclivities so far :badgrin:

Karlin said:
Neutered males will also sometimes mark -- neutering doesn;t always get rid of that urge but does more than half the time.

Leave it up to Jake...neutered at six months....we're the half it didn't work for :roll: But, the good thing is that if I correct him before he does it (just takes an eagle eye when we first walk in somewhere new) he won't attempt it again.

This is not good....... He's doing it alot now and in my house :sl*p: :sl*p:,

Thanks for the link Karlin, I've had a read and will try to do what it says...

Back