• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Name Origin

Lindsay

Out of curiousity, are there any good stories out there on how you came to what you named your dog?

I wanted English or Irish names for my dogs (as I am half English, half Irish), and I have always had a fascination with Princess Di. Hence Spencer's name, and it just so happens that Izzy's mom was named Diana, so we incorporated that in her name (Lady Di's Princess Isabelle). Any Izzy came from a character on Grey's Anatomy. I was looking through a list of all the English royalty names, and at some point there was a Matilda, so that is the new puppy's name, Tilly for short.

:flwr:

Our dog is called Flynn which means "son of a redhead". We looked at two puppies. The first ones father was a ruby which we thought was a good omen. As it happened we went for the second puppy whose father was a blenheim just like Flynn. However my husband was a redhead before he went bald and grey :lol: so son of a redhead still suits him.

We spent the week before we went to see Daisy Boo emailing each other back and forth suggesting names. I had been reading an article about Jamie Oliver and his little girl is called Daisy Boo so I suggested it to Kelvin and he thought it was great. It's the perfect name for her, it really suits her. We stole Twinkle's name from a rescue dog we met at Dog Training Ireland.

I wanted to pick something Irish that would match his Ruby color. Clancy means "Red Warrior" and it seems to fit his personality too well!

:roll:

When we originally decided to get a dog, John really wanted a flat-coated retriever. If you aren't familiar then look here:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/flat_coated_retriever/index.cfm

After a few months I finally convinced him that we just didnt' have enough house or yard for a dog that size. I asked him to look into the cavalier because I knew that was what I wanted and I really didn't want a black dog. He was afraid getting a little dog meant it wouldn't "act like a dog". He wanted a pup big enough to play with. Anyway, when we were planning on a flat-coat we settled on the name, Duncan, because it meant dark-skinned warrior. When we found our Duncan...it just suited him despite not fitting the dark-skinned or warrior aspect of the name.

Arthur was decided on because of King Arthur and knights of the round table. We discussed Merlin,etc but thought Arthur fit better with Duncan. Both being typically names you would here for a person.[/url]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny you should ask about names..

Kosmo's named after a cartoon character! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever seen Fairly Odd Parents on Nickelodeon? He's named after the fairy God Parent, "Cosmo" that watches over a little boy named timmy all the time. He's incredibly hillarious @ times and I LOVE that cartoon!

8)

I was going to guess after Kosmo Kramer! After the events of this past week, I bet you are glad it is after the cartoon! icon_whistling

Monty is simply named after the lovely Monty who was my childhood springer.

The second name hade to end in an 'ee' sound, not start with M nor have second letter O, to be clearly different from Monty, so playing with sounds gave Dizzy, whaich I changed to Izzy. (Monty for Montgomery and izzy for Isembard Kingdon Brunel )

Joly (following the rule fior Izzy ie now no I etc)is after both Jolyons in The forsyte Saga; both lovely gentle characters.

Teddy had no name, so I looked at his photo and he told me he was Teddy Edward. It fitted the rules, so Teddy it was.

Thank God Lindsay - Poor Kos - People come over and call him "krame" ALL the time. I still don't know what that guy was thinking.. :sl*p: Oh well cartoon characters are always better anyways..

Avi wanted to name him after the dog on star trek.. "porthos".. :yikes

My family background is english, so I wanted names from that heritage. Also because the cavalier is from England. So Pippin & Merry are from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

My future female cavalier will be named Daisy for Frances Evelyn "Daisy" Greville, Countess of Warwick. This is because my Capwell family lived in Warwick before leaving for America in the 1600's.

When I got Luke this past spring he was 3.5 years old and already named Luke. I didn't want to confuse the poor guy, so I tried to make the name my own. I found a Belgian comic book character called Lucky Luke. This character is an American cowboy. We had a Belgian live with our family for a year, so that was a good angle for making the name my own. Also Luke's dad and brother had western cowboy names. Woody & Jesse James respecitively, so this fitted Luke's past too.

So when I obtained Lucky Luke's son, I decided to select a name from the Lucky Luke comic strip and selected Jolly Jumper as his name. There is also an episode of the comic strip that takes place in Daisy Town. So when I get that next female cavalier. I have another connection to the name Daisy.

There really isn't a fun story with Wesley and Cody. I love giving my animals people names but we just couldn't figure out the right name for Wesley: first it was Romeo, then Bently then Duncan. The poor puppy didn't have a name for two weeks!! Finally I made the call and Wesley just fit.

Cody was such a precious little boy scout as a pup, he just looked like he needed a cute boys name. When you look into his face, it just fit. There was no back and forth on that one. :flwr:

My shih tzu Stewie was evil from day one so he was named after the baby on "Family Guy" who is plotting to take over the world and kill his mom. lol!! It is pretty funny because their personalities are VERY similar. I love the gay overtones of the cartoon's character and Stewie is definitely a frilly little dog with a BIG attitude. icon_whistling :lol:

Jack's name was originally named Luke - my 6 year old son wanted his full name to be Luke Skywalker Jenkins (you should have seen the breeder's face when my son announced that to her!).
We brought him home and every time we called him our Golden Retriever was thoroughly confused because we had never even considered that "Luke" sounds amazingly like "Blue" (she was named after the character from Blue's Clues when my son was 3). By day two we had a family meeting and discussed new names. My son said that if the puppy couldn't be called Luke Skywalker then he would settle for Jack Sparrow.

Willow is named after a character on what is probably my favourite TV show ever - Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Willow is Buffy's red headed best friend. Hubby and I are both huge sci-fi fans, so we wanted a sci-fi name - it was down to Willow and River, and after we met her, we decided Willow just fit - her little red ears were the key! :D

Julie J - My breeder did name a dog that. My Luke's real name on his AKC papers is "Luke Skywalker etc." When she sold him to me, I hated the Star Wars connection, but since he was 3.5 years old he already knew his name was Luke. That is why I worked so hard to make the name my own & got rid of the Skywalker portion of his name.

No fun story really - I just thought of Bella one day in the bath and when I saw her, well it fit totally. It's cute and mischievous just like my girl. Her nickname is Boo by the way :)

Max is just max, always was going to be and he really suits his name. Bran, when he first got here had been named Lucky because it was lucky he was found when he was, we called him rory which lasted all of two days, no-one could remember it and was calling 'Red', 'Ruby' etc so a vote was taken and he's now Brandy but we call him Bran for short which was one of Fionn MacCumhail's hounds, (hero in irish folklore).

Max's name on his papers is Odubghaill Classic Punch!!!

And just before I posted this I just did a search on the name and came up with this web site

http://www.k9info.com/doginfo.php?id=kcs_tp00882001

Can anyone tell me anything about it?? The sire listed 'Bold Future' is Max's dad.

After growin g up with Goldens who always had their names derived from their Kennel Club names we foun d it quite difficult to come up with a pet name from Snuggle Bunny :lol: Merlin was named after the balack and tan cav we met at the first breeder we went to as Joel had never seen a cav so we went to a breeeder who hall all the colour variations. merlin was their stud dog and was very handsome. So thats how Merlin go his name and he can count to 100 with "gimme 5, gimme 10 etc" and can give hugs on command - so their his tricks.

When we were getting Oakley (who is Ragged Ragwort Robin), he was going to be called Tarka - after the otter b ut then realised this was too girly for my boy. I didn't like any other wizard names - i couldn't imagine shouting Gandalf out! :lol: I liked Rufus but this was for a big dog, I liked Bentley or at least a lee ending name, so ended up with Oakley as he is a cool dude and really quite suits it. We have to have names that you can baby fi. Merlin gets Merly whirls, mergits smergit, schmerls whilst Oakley gets Oakley pokely, oaks, augustus gloop and ratbag! :D

Love the nicknames! Too cute! :flwr:

Spencer is 'Boogie' because he is such a little booger, and Izzy is 'Manittle' and 'Deedee' which just came from us baby-talking to her too much (Manittle is from saying My little girl, Deedee is from Izzy). :roll: I'm sure it won't be more than an hour before Tilly is TillyWilly icon_whistling :flwr:

Names

Alfie named after Alfie Moon.From a charactor of Eastenders.His name at the vets or to anyone is Alfie Moon.

Back