• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

it hurts :(

bonniepirate

On Friday morning, my beautiful 13 month old baby ran out in front of a car and died instantly.

I am heart broken, she was staying with my parents while I was away (I got back Sunday) and they too, as you can imagine, are devastated - it wasn't anyone's fault, she was just hyper all the time (in a great way) and decided to run off in the wrong direction (not so great)

Anyway, now I don't know what to do.. I don't want to 'replace' Poppy, but at the same time, my husband and I loved having her so much that thoughts of getting another one cross my mind. We travel a lot and perhaps we shouldn't have a dog, I feel so guilty that I had left her (not because of what happened, my parents loved and treated her so well, I just wish it had been me playing with her every day for this last week or so)

I'm sorry I haven't posted here very often, I just came back cause I knew you'd all understand

Oh I'm just so sorry for you...you must all be devestated :( :( :(

Sadly accidents do happen, I know there are several other similar stories on here, so you are not alone.

You can't ever replace a dog, but it can help to fill the dreadful hole that they leave by having another fur baby.

Would your parents still be willing to look after another one whilst you are away if you travel a lot? Or would you be able to take the dog with you?

Give yourselves time to grieve and then have a very long think about the right thing for you...and for the dog...

Thinking of you... :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

:cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing:

Thinking of you and your family. I am so sorry that this has happened. Little ones are never replaced so to speak. I think our hearts just grow larger to make room for another love.

Take time and think. You will make the right decision.

Let us know if there is anything we can do. :flwr:

Thanks Nicki and Lindsay

My parents would be willing - although I don't know if I can risk putting them through the pain again, if you see what I mean? I trust them with everything, but they are so devastated it makes me feel even worse.

A great option is we're moving house soon and are going to live about half a mile away from my sister - she and her husband are thinking about getting a dog but have always resisted because they work all day

My husband and I work at home, so my sister and I may go and get new puppies together and we'd watch hers during the day, and when we needed to travel, they could stay together at their house

Poppy was a few months away from having her passport to come traveling with us.

I don't think I can live without a fur baby, but I want to do the right thing for the potential new one we could bring home

Oh how awful!! I am so sorry for your loss.

It sounds like you have a good plan for the future though. I think I would go with this plan. I knew I was going to lose my kitty (she had lymphoma) and began planning for a new pet. That's how we ended up with Jake. She lived much longer than anticipated and when she finally passed it was such a comfort to have Jake. I couldn't stand an empty house.

Bonnie Pirate-
Im SO sorry for you and your family. As I dont know exactly how your feeling I can just imagine- yesterday I was out on my way to a dog "howliday" party. Ginger saw a feather flying on the street as I was trying to hail a cab and she jumped out of her bag and into oncoming traffic. By some miracle there was a lull in the cars passing and 2 girls walking by started screaming so the other cars started slowing down. I ran after her and grabbed her leash. It was the most awful thing ever and my entire body was shaking. The girls were nice enough to stand with me a moment and ask if I was alright bc clearly Ginger was doing fine, barely affected. I felt so guilty and as if it was my fault. I can imagine you are having the most terrible feelings but know that it happens and its uncontrollable.
The first person that I told what happened (another cav owner at the party) was like Yeah petey here got hit by a car a few years back. Its much more common than I had thought.
Im sorry for your loss and I think that you and your sister getting new pups will be a wonderful thing. Of course it wont replace poppy but it will fill the void in your and your husbands hearts. I think your parents will even be delighted as well.
The devastation probably never goes away as it is a helpless thing.

I am so very sorry for your heartache and feel ever so badly for your parents. I know they must be heartsick.

Your story hit way too close to home. I know exactly how you are feeling.
I don't think I'll ever fully recover from losing my sweet Beatrice, a little over a year ago, in nearly the same way. I feel your pain. But the dear people on this forum helped me so much. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't had this as a place to pour out my grief during those first few days. We all grieve and deal with loss in our own fashion. If you need time, take it; if you need to scream to the heavens, be loud enough to be heard; if you need to be alone, disappear for a while - what ever it takes. Use all of us to vent and help you heal. Only you will know what will make you feel better. Although time will help, don't be surprised to come upon Poppy's little face from time to time in the days and months to come. Bea came to the back door just a couple of weeks ago. . . sounds nuts, but I know what I saw - she was there. Sometimes I think they know you need the sight of them to get through the day, their spirits are so strong. And before you send the men with nets, I'm not the only one that has "seen" her. Hang in there, go to a shelter and hug a baby in need, Poppy will be watching. My sincere hope you will someday have another furball to love.
JaneB

I am so sorry for your loss.

JaneB, you have said it all. Thank you! Probably you are right . there are some special dogs and special events, from what we can never totally recover. I am working home at my computer on this time of day and meanwhile just popped here reading. I could not contiunue... Now, after walking around my apartemeny, making some tea etc, I am still in tears. I lost my dearest puppy some months ago. She showed in every way, that she was going to be the most special dog I ever had. Why the best ones have to leave so early? For me the hardest time must be over (and I kow it is), but I still find myself in these moments. And in tears, which is not my normal behaviour at all.
I am looking for a new puppy now. New friends can not replace those we have lost. But thats true - our hearts just grow bigger!

Someone told me a story I like to share with you. Young girl grow up with a big dog, who was very special, smart, protecting, trustful. The dog had a long life and when he finally passed away, he was burried under the big tree, where had been his favourite place, when he was still alive. The girl, young woman now, came to the tree every time, she felt she had to speak with her old friend. After some time she asked her friends spirit, if he could pick a new dog for her - who can know better than her old friend, which dog is the the best for her. She has had two dogs after that, one of them has also passed away. Nether of them has been a copy of her old friend, but both of them had something alike. And on the first walk she has always brought her new puppy to the grave of her old friend. And she has felt deep satisfaction when the puppies went straight to the place and lied down like the old dog had used to do. She was sure, her old friend had approved the new ones.

Some day you will meet your new furbaby and Poppy will be happy for you!

That's terrible, hope you and your family are doing ok, it's never easy to loose a loved one especially when its an accident.
My thoughts are with you

That's so awful. I feel so bad for you and your parents. :cry*ing:

A couple of years ago I was looking after my parents' dog, and he ran away. Luckily he was OK, but I've never been as terrified in my life.

I hope you start to feel better soon - I can't imagine how hard it must be for you all :(

Pepsi x

I have only just seen that - I am so sorry for your loss, there is no planned way of dealing with this kind of thing, all I would like to say is that your beautiful fur baby had a special life with you and your husband and your parents and that you should remember the funny things you did together, she is now over the bridge and will always been watching over you.

I am so sorry for you loss, many hugs to you :hug:

take care and think of those fond memories, i'm sure there are many even for such a short life :flwr:

I am so sorry to hear about your tragedy. My bassett hound was 14.5 years old and getting very sick. I started researching new dogs 6 months before she died, because I knew I couldn't live without a dog in the house. Too quiet. No one to love you unconditionally.

It sounds like you have a good plan and arrangement with your sister. I really hope you find the puppies you are looking for when you want them. I also pray that you will be comforted by all the great memories Poppy gave you.

Destiny is sometimes very cruel. I'm so sad to hear of that terrible accident.

You know, persons need to have the gone-dog with them, buried in the garden or with ashes in a box.
Others prefer incineration.

Some persons cannot have another dog immediately. They need time.
Other have imediately another dog.

We are different, and different in front of the death, and our pain is told differently, and we need different quantity of time to accept.

It is no rule, do as you feel.

Personnaly, 1 week after Wendy has flown away, I had Ester on my knees.
I was unable to live without a dog to love :( I became completly mad.
Ester was the best medecine for my heart. And we go ahead together.
When I look to Ester, I see attitudes of my Wendy. Ester is "my black Wendy".
My incredible Nidou has a lot of same attitudes as my so loved Jessie.

My angels are still alive, a part of them is in my new loves.
Love never die. I'm sure about this.

You will not "replace" your baby, you will have a dog, another dog.

Do as your heart will guide you, only that.

A big kiss to tou

Maminou said:
My angels are still alive, a part of them is in my new loves.
Love never die. I'm sure about this.

You will not "replace" your baby, you will have a dog, another dog.

Do as your heart will guide you, only that.

This is sooo true!

My heart goes out to you and your family. The time to get a new puppy is when it feels right to you. That's a great idea to get puppies together with your sister.

I think I caused myself extra suffering when I waited 6 months to get another dog after my Tasha died.

I am so very sorry. I am only just catching up on here, that's why I didn't see your post sooner :(

Go with your heart, if your heart is telling you to get another baby then get one. You won't be relpacing Poppy but opening your heart to another little one :flwr:

Back