• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sick puppy again

Hollyowner

Hi All,
I posted a mail there about 10days ago. It was about my sick puppy Holly, she has had an on/off dose of diarihea with specs of blood in it since we got her 2 weeks ago.

I followed some of the suggestions made (much appreciated by the way!)
and with the supervision of my vet. we gave her less food, had her drink plenty of water. She was put on antibiotics and had pro-kolin suringes.
It cleared up for the best part of 3 or 4 days and we thought she was over it, but last night it came back.

Eventhough she has been like this since we got her she is growing at a steady pace, growing from 1.2kgs to 1.8 in 10 days, she is filling out everytime we look at her. She is a lovely little thing always willing to play, or relax with my parents.

Due to her being on so much medication the vet, has recommended that we do not give her her remaining booster injection, or her last dose of worming tablets.

She has developed a habit of dragging her bum on one of the mats we have for her. which is leading me to think it is worms. does anybody have similar tails - no pun intended!!

In the 2 short weeks we have had her, she has been the centre of our home, and while we are sure it will pass over, we are nervous of it getting serious.

Thanks
Jim

When Wesley drags his butt, that's his sign that he needs to go poop. I've only had him since yesterday though. I'm wondering if he'll keep it up.

It might be worms- some people here have had nasty tummy upsets that carried on and on and turned out to be worms. I'm sure they'll confirm that though! Thankfully I've not been through that myself, but hope your little Holly feels better soon!

My pup who is 13 weeks was having the same problems with blood in hers runny poos so I just reduced the ammoun of food I was giving her and it is fine now no problems at all!! She drags her bum along the floor too to clean herself I thought it was worms but my vet checked her out and told me she was just cleaning herself!

Hope this is helpful

Hi Hollyowner.
I have a tri called holly too. Same problem for the first few weeks. The breeder told us to give her milk and wheetabix :yikes
She had the runs for days.. with blood also. Vet said plan food only, like boiled chicken and rice till it cleared us. Pups should never be given milk. She was on the syringes also. Holly still drags her bum on the floor. Think it's a cav thing. Best of luck. I'm sure she'll fine before long.
Yvonne

My 9 week old puppy lady does this she hasn't had any runny poo or worms, we also wipe her bum with a baby wipe after she has a poo and she still does it but only on carpeted floors and sometimes on her puppy pads but never on the wood floors. Must be the friction she likes. I think it's just a cavie thing as my mum's cav did the same thing. The only other thing i can think is many it's something to do with her anal glands?

I think it's especially common in pups too. Amber does it quite a bit (and she's just wormed, so it's not that- no tummy trouble of ANY kind for her either)- and Holly did too when she was little. Now Holly scoots only occasionally.

Back