• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Huey is getting fixed on Friday!

Donald Duck

I've read through several of the recent postings on the site and I still have a few questions... I've heard rumors that I'm hoping to clear up... is it true that his coat will lose his softness? If yes, what should I feed him or use to help it maintain the softness? Will he lose his sweet puppy nature? Huey is such character, I'm afraid he'll totally change!! Should I feed him anything special afterwards? Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

We've noticed no change whetever in our two, who were both neutered at 6 months. Just as soft, just as playful, just as loving as before. Elvis spent some extra time licking after his, but he had a stitch or two... Beauregard had no stitches. As I recall, they neither one were particularly interested in food that night, but were back to eating in the morning.

KC

I have two neutered boys. Maxx's coat is really thick and fluffy but Charlie's coat is getting silkier all the time. I really wouldn't worry about it :flwr:

Flynn had his op when he was 9 months old. His character has not changed at all nor has his coat.

I was told that they are more likely to put on weight once they have been done so we have watched Flynn's diet and he has not put on weight. Everything will be fine don't worry :)

My fil is a vet, and he says that neutering is really not that big of a deal, surgery wise... :D 8) :p

They don't even use stiches... they do some kinda powder or durabond or something i guess...

As for change in the dog, I have heard various things, but what my friends (who have 2 boys) experienced was that there was no change in the boys, and the one who was having "accidents" on the fridge corner (his territory icon_whistling ) stopped it all together... it was like magic... so I guess you can count that as a blessing!!

Good luck and we'll keep the little guy in our thoughts as he becomes an it... lol (that's what my hubby likes to call the two boys, he says they aren't boys, so Macy has two It Cavaliers and a Girl). :sl*p:

Both of mine kept their same lovely personalities. Jake's coat is probably a touch coarser than it was but I put that down to an adult coat vs a puppy coat. Shelby's is just as silky as ever...although her coat is much shorter and thicker than Jake's.

Chester was neutered at about 6 months and there was no noticeable change in his coat, attitude or anything else. His coat has always been super soft and silky although it did get straigher as he got older. His puppy coat was rather curly at first but the adult coat came in longer and straighter. He has always been a huge love bug and a HUGE kisser and has always been that way before and after the surgery.

Best of luck! Huey will be fine.

Just got Henry neutered today.

He's been sleepy and we've had a few whimpers but he managed to eat some fish and rice and after a lot of lying on my lap he's settled to sleep now at bedtime, in his crate downstairs with Lucy in the crate next door to him, and no doubt by tomorrow he'll be bouncing around. We'll probably have to try to keep him more still. Also if Lucy keeps on trying to lick him "there" we'll have to put him in his babygro (onesie). He's in a buster collar as he's been trying to lick his little wound.

Good luck for Friday - I'm sure all will go well for you. lots of cuddles for him!

Talking babygros, I *know* I'm going to have to get one for Amber. If that pup doesn't try to chew her stitches I'll be very surprised. So... How do you measure which size to get? Do you cut the bottom out of it (for girls) so they can still go to the loo? Obviously with boys it would defeat the purpose! How much of a struggle are they to get on and off? Amber's not too keen on having things put on her- probably because her old puppia was just that bit too snug, poor baby.

I got the babygro in a charity shop for about £2, size 12-18 months and it fitted! I cut a hole for the tail to come out and cut the arms and legs to very short. Not very glamorous!

I take it off for going out for wees but it's fairly easy to put on and off if you just undo the chest poppers and leave the lower end ones still done up. It's like putting a pair of trousers on them then, easy to pull the paws through as the legholes are short. Then just do up the chest poppers.

316604752_1e6c9fc3ea.jpg

I also used it for Lucy's first walks, just to keep the wound clean, then washed it while she had the buster collar on in the house. She didn't mind the collar once she got used to it. When she had fully recovered I was amused when she saw the collar on the table and pushed her head into it herself and walked around proudly with the buster collar on.

316607139_228dec15da.jpg

Here is Henry in it. He's smaller than Lucy so I used a towelling hairband with velcro as a waist belt so it doesn't hang down under his belly. He wears his buster collar sometimes and the babygro other times so Lucy can't lick his little wound. He's been great today - playing happily, just the day after his op.

MathisGreen said:
My fil is a vet, and he says that neutering is really not that big of a deal, surgery wise... :D 8) :p

They don't even use stiches... they do some kinda powder or durabond or something i guess..."

Its tissue glue, to castrate a dog it takes about 5-10mins (not including the anaesthetic). Castrating a dog when it’s young shouldn’t change the dogs coat or personality. If a dog is aggressive it often helps reduce that and it help reduce peeing EVERYWHERE and humping (..not always icon_whistling ).
Castration at a later stage in life I noticed in our dog did result in some changed however they weren’t so much the castration itself but the reduction in hormones. E.g. Less testosterone meant he couldn’t eat the same amount of food and stay slim he turned into a giant fat blimp and it took us 2years to get his waist line down hahaha!! :lol:
The only other difference I’ve noticed is that males when castrated young don’t get that big boofy male head. :lotsaluv:
It’s a fascinating surgery to watch as its ridiculously quick and like you said, no stiches, a bit of tissue glue and bam! It’s over!
:rah:

Henry has a dissolving stitch in his little wound. He and Lucy are OBSESSED with trying to lick it. He is full of his usual bounce so the surgery is really very minor for him.

I went out of the room for a few minutes yesterday and when I came back they had managed to pull the babygro off Henry - joint effort I think - and they were both licking away!!!

So today he is in babygro with puppia harness on top......get out of that one if you dare! I shall have to seperate them for some of the day.

Our vet said to not let him lick it as it might make it swell. His scrotum is a little bruised already.

We usually dispence a bitter liquid to put on the wound it tastes HORRIBLE (yes i've tasted it :lol:) i'm using that on my cat atm, it works really well

Fingers crossed...and legs crossed....for you Huey!

You'll do fine and soon be bouncing around again.

Back