• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Face SwellinG!! take to emergency vet??

Nisha

Hey guys,

just about 1 hr ago Milo's face swelled up...actually just all around his eyes swelled up and the rest of his face just looks swelled....i tryed calling the vet but theyre done for the day...should i call the emergency vet??? its been an hour since it started...the swelling is the same maybe a bit less and Milo seems totally normal...so should i go 2 the emergency vet??? or just wait for it 2 go down?

Always go to the emergency vet immediately when there is facial swelling! There is the danger of the dog's airways swelling, just like in humans.

Oh absolutely...always go to the vet for something like this. Sounds like a possible allergic reaction. We keep benadryl on hand for things like this in case of bee stings, etc.

How is he?

Yeah i thought about the allergic reaction too..thats y i wasnt too worried...but i realised it could be serious so i took him down...its all fine now...they said that even though the swelling looked bad it was just an allergic reaction to probably some bug that stung him or something.. i think it was a bee as i keep seeing 1/2 dead ones outside and the boys just HAVE to put their nose in it! :roll: ill have to look out for that benadryl..thanks for that...

the vet thought it would die down in a couple of hours but said to come back if anything got worse..

it did die down...and now he's back to normal...thanks everyone :D

Yipes!! Poor little guy! I am glad he is all better now though.

That worries me because Wesley and Cody love to chase moths and my Japanese Plum tree in the back is LOADED with bees right now because it is flowering... :yikes

Silly Bees!

Tell those pups to mind thier own Beeswax or they'll all end up with puffy faces.... LOL!

Glad to hear everyone is back to "normal."

I'm glad your little one is ok now. It would have been very scary.
As your little man has had quite a severe reaction I would ring your vet and ask your vet what antihistamine they might recommend. You can keep them in your first aid kit and give to him yourself even if on the way to the vet if it happens again. I have had to use these a couple of times for bee stings. Make sure you find out the dosage for weight. I use phenergan but you really must check with the vet before giving anything like this.

Nisha, that's so good to hear. I was thinking about Milo. Poor guy. Glad he is all better. :)

I better get some antihistamines just in case too. Thanks for the reminder, Luvzcavs. :flwr:

Thanks heaps for your concern everyone :) ...i went in and bought some antihistamines today ..ill have to enquire about the "phenergan" but i think what i got will suffice..atleast next time ill be prepared!

Tell those pups to mind thier own Beeswax or they'll all end up with puffy faces.... LOL!
:lol: ;)

i think luvscavs made a good suggestion--because he had an allergic reaction to a possible bee sting, he's almost certain to have one if he gets stung again and you are seeing them around so it's a possibility. The way it can work with bee stings is, the next time the allergic reaction can be worse, and these are nothing to play around with, the throat can swell up and suffocation can happen very fast. Under these circumstances nothing can be given by mouth. I think it's a good idea to have something injectable in your first aid kit--this kind of reaction can rapidly worsen to a life threatening point.

remembering macauley calkin in My Girl :cry*ing:

i too have half dead and fully dead bees stumbling around my backyard. i'm going to ask my vet about having a first aid antidote on hand.

Hi Nisha, sorry only just caught this thread. I'm glad Milo is okay though. One of my dogs was stung by a bee once and she ended up in the vets in anaphlactic shock. She nearly died. So needless to say we watched her like a hawk for the rest of her life. And our lawn was always kept very short so the flowers wouldnt come up. We had fenergan I think it was about 1/2 ml but she was alot smaller than a cavy. We also tried to get the injectable stuff from the vets but they wouldnt let us have it. I guess they wanted us to keep paying them an arm and a leg every time we went there. :lol: And yes he will have a stronger reaction the next time he is stung.

Selina,

I think the reason that Vets don't like people having injectables for their pets is a simple one. Most vials have to be stored in a refrigerator at a certain temperature. All pharmacy and Veterinary fridges have to have their temperatures recorded & logged every day. even a slight change in temperature has to be monitored and rechecked a few hours later.

If the Vials aren't kept at the nominal temperature then they can easily become unstable and therefore useless. I don't think that Vets even use anything like an Epipen for animals and if they did they would be prohibitively expensive. this is more than likely why they just provide you with anti-histamines.

Nisha,

I'm really glad that Milo is OK, bless him. What a worry for you though.

I'm really surprised that Maxx has survived so long without being stung - he treats bees as a delicacy and eats them :yikes It really upsets me to see my usually placid baby chomping on a poor little bee as if his life depended on it :( He's usually really good at his 'drop it' command too - except for when he eats bees :yuk: :roll: :yuk:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Selina,
I don't think that Vets even use anything like an Epipen for animals and if they did they would be prohibitively expensive. this is more than likely why they just provide you with anti-histamines.

Epipens are hard to get even for a human. I don't think that they make them for animals?? I think because epinephrine can be abused? It's kinda like an amphetamine. And it'd be really easy to overdose and kill an animal. I'm not sure, but I think it may be a controlled substance which is why they don't hand it out. I don't think they're doing it so you have to come in and pay for it... ;) Plus - if your dog had such a strong allergic reaction in the past, he'd probably need more than just an epipen injection so he'd need to go to the hospital anyway.

You can always get good ol' Benadryl (diphenylhydramine) at the drug store to have on hand in case of emergency to give yourself time so you can get to the vet for epinephrine or other drugs if necessary.

Nisha - So glad that Milo is OK!

Maxxs_Mummy said:
I'm really surprised that Maxx has survived so long without being stung - he treats bees as a delicacy and eats them :yikes It really upsets me to see my usually placid baby chomping on a poor little bee as if his life depended on it

Perhaps Maxx has built an immunity to bee stings. Whe I was at college one of the lecturers, a hobbyist bee keeper, gave us a talk on them. he siad that if a bee stings, don't shake it off, but let it get its sting back, so it has a chance of survival. If it stings and you knock it off, leaving the sting behind, the bee dies. We said we didn't think we could hold on for this, as the natural reaction would be to flick away the pain, but he said he no longer felt any and never had a reaction.

Wasps are different. They inject with their sting, which stays part of them, unlike that of a bee.

Back