• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Skinny Rubies

duncans_ma

Linda said:
Lisa

Darby is long and thin, I actually just increased his food a little bit as he is always hungry he has gained 1/2 lb over the past couple of weeks.

I don't think he will get very big, Dudley is 17.2 lbs at almost 3 years old Jan 12th he needs to lose 2 lbs as he is not very tall and I can see that extra weight is slowing him down a bit. Hopefully by the spring he will have dropped a few lbs.

Dudley is 14.2 lbs at almost 8 1/2 months old. I think he will sit around the 16 lbs.

I know Arthur has been a little sick recently, likely preventing him from growing as much as he should, but I am beginning to think he is going to be really tiny.

At 4 months he was 9 lbs
At 6 months (when he was neutered) he was 10.5 lbs
At 7 months (and two bouts of colitis in the last month) he is only 11 lbs

Should I be worried...he is really skinny and always just attacks his food? Should I increase the amount?

My vet hasn't said anything, but after reading this I wondered...Linda, has Darby gained his last few lbs only recently?

Our ruby Katie is only 12 lbs. at 2 yrs. old. She is much smaller bone wise than our others. Casey on the other hand is a big moose. So I think the weight is dependent on overall size.

He is tall and lanky...I haven't measured him but I will and post...he is just so skinny and everyone comments on it.

I swear we feed him and he eats but I am beginning to get a complex.

Ashley,

Honest to God, if you think he's ok, and if your vet doesn't say anything, I think you're alright. For some reason society has this stereotypical image that all dogs need to be fat, and if they aren't fat then they are too skinny.

I had trouble with people telling me Kosmo was too skinny recently. He doesn't eat much, but you know what, the food is there if he wants it. He gets about 1/2 cup per day and sometimes doesn't even eat that. I've come to the realization that that's just him. He'll eat when he's hungry and as long as he's energetic and looking good, then he's fine.

As long as his bones aren't obviously sticking out and he doesn't look malnourished I would say he's OK. I am a little sensitive on this subject too still (apparently.) lol :p

Maybe Duncan is just going to be small forever.. some dogs will just stay small, and some will grow. If duncan is meant to be 12 lbs, then it is what it is. :) If he's meant to be 17lbs, even if he's not growing much now, I am sure he'll catch up.. :flwr:

Sara - that's why there are so many overweight Cavaliers out there. People just don't realize they are supposed to be slender. Ever seen a fat chinese crested? :D People know that is how they are supposed to look.

duncans_ma said:
Linda said:
Lisa

Darby is long and thin, I actually just increased his food a little bit as he is always hungry he has gained 1/2 lb over the past couple of weeks.

I don't think he will get very big, Dudley is 17.2 lbs at almost 3 years old Jan 12th he needs to lose 2 lbs as he is not very tall and I can see that extra weight is slowing him down a bit. Hopefully by the spring he will have dropped a few lbs.

Dudley is 14.2 lbs at almost 8 1/2 months old. I think he will sit around the 16 lbs.

I know Arthur has been a little sick recently, likely preventing him from growing as much as he should, but I am beginning to think he is going to be really tiny.

At 4 months he was 9 lbs
At 6 months (when he was neutered) he was 10.5 lbs
At 7 months (and two bouts of colitis in the last month) he is only 11 lbs

Should I be worried...he is really skinny and always just attacks his food? Should I increase the amount?

My vet hasn't said anything, but after reading this I wondered...Linda, has Darby gained his last few lbs only recently?

Ashley

Darby was sitting at 13.8 lbs for a while I just increased his food slightly
he still gets 1/4 of a cup of EVO twice a day with either chicken/fish/hamburger or something mixed in with the Solid Gold Seameal & Prozymes. Instead of leveling the spoon of kibble I am letting it heap a bit.

I don't want him to be fat, he is not big boned at all, but I can see that he is starting to spread in the middle which is about right for his age.

After having 2 bouts of Colitis Ashely he would of lost a bit of weight.

How much are you feeding him and what are you feeding him, do you give Vitamins. ???????????

I also give them both a Multi Mineral Complex Vitamin from www. monicasegal.com 2 to 3 times a week.

Somebody posted on another board that they thought Darby was too thin I will find the post and copy and paste it for you.

I also used to think Darby looked long and thin but until they start filling out Ashley the will look this way because they have no coat. I will try and snap a shot of Darby looking down.

I think Darby was about 11 lbs at Arthurs age, I need to pull out be Vet Info I will let you know.

He is fine, don't worry just increase his food a little not too much as I imagine you are still giving treats.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Molly some say that females are suppossed to be smaller, but I think it depends on the parents too. Dudley is not a big Cavalier either and at his weight of 17.2 lbs he is too heavy.

What are we feeding Arthur?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

At this point only what has a solid return!

Currently, he is on Hill's prescription diet (i/d) getting 1/4 can twice a day.

When we transfer off of that we are going to try Blue Buffalo. We are working on switching Duncan to it because the Pro Plan we were feeding just isn't working to Arthur. We supplement with treats, of course, and raw veggies then occasionally some of what we are having for dinner before it is seasoned, etc...(chicken, usually)

Here is the compare between pro plan and blue buffalo:

Pro Plan
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn bran, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, dried egg product, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Blue Buffalo
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye , Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement , Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

So far, Duncan loves the new stuff...has started eating around the pro plan and even leaving some of it.... :lol: Picky little guy

We have been giving Duncan a little less than 1/2 a cup twice daily and Arthur a HEAPING 1/2 cup twice daily.

Lily is a Blen, but she is tall and skinny too. Just weighed at the Vet Tuesday at 10 lbs. She gets 1/2 cup Royal Canine twice a day with a few treats in between, but she always seems hungry. Goes back and licks her bowl several times per day looking for more food. Should I be feeding her more?

At 18 months, Tucker only weighs 13 pounds. Because his coat is thick and lustrous (sorry to brag) he looks heavier. I'd like him to gain a little weight too. His brother from the same litter weighs even less. I think Tucker will start to gain some weight as I've switched his dog food. Now he scarfs down the food he's given and looks for more, before the only thing he was ever excited for was people food.

Any reason for me NOT to give Tucker a little steak today?? Just picked up a nice delmonico and thought I'd share my supper with him. How about potatoes, baked/plain? Since rice is good, are potatoes?

My Dad calls Daisy Boo a runt :roll: She is really small and lean weighing in at about 13 pounds. She eats well though so It's just her build I think.

In the picture below you can see a recent photo of my three. Twinkle is about 15 pounds but is physically a much bigger dog than Daisy Boo. Brandy is just over 15 pounds but he is very much underweight for his size - we are trying to build him up.
IThink.jpg

Ashley I snapped a few body shots of Darby for you, don't worry yourself sweetie Darby is not big boned either.

He is much better off to be thin than too heavy.

I will post after lunch.

You are feeding Arthur more than I feed Dudley he is getting plenty. :D :D :D :D :D :D

This is the best I could do Ashley but it kind of shows you, that he has a very defined waistline.
IMG_3420.jpg

This one was taken about a month ago.

IMG_3018-1.jpg

Ashley I went through Darby's records

At 2 months he weighed 4 lbs 8 oz.
At 3 months he weighed 6 lbs 5 oz.
At 4 months he weighed 8 lbs 5 oz.
At 5 1/2 months he weighed 11.1 lbs
Today he is 8 1/2 months and weighs 14.2 lbs
He just gained a 4 oz over the last week or two like I mentioned otherwise he has been pretty steady at 13.8 lbs for over a month now.

My Vet never said anything to me either about him being underweight she just told me to continue feeding him the way I was he looked good and was not overweight.

Don't Worry you will most likely notice in the next couple of months he will gain a couple of pounds. Then hold at that weight.

I have no intention of giving him anymore than what I am now, I see what a few pounds has done to my darling Dudley.

Now I need to work to get that off him.

Sounds like my little man is just going to be tiny or after we get his tummy settled he will fill out and gain..thanks for the piece of mind!!

Just thought of something the vet told me long ago, you should be able to feel the dogs ribs through his coat, but not be able to see the impression of the ribs. If you can, he's too thin.

Holly is like Tucker- very small and fineboned with a hideously luxurious coat.

Amber is tall for her age, I think- she's nearly as a tall as Holly, and she's not five months. She's a slender thing though, and really hasn't filled out much at all. I hope she doesn't grow much taller though- as long as they're healthy, I like 'em small. She was one of five, I think, so hopefully she won't grow too much more.

I would say that Barney still has a waist but when he is laying down you cannot see it I would say Barney is not thin at all He is so BIG well I think so----Aileen

Lisa,

Alas, I have no aptitude for photography. Nonetheless, I purchased a couple of Kodak disposable cameras today. Soon as I've taken the pictures, I'll get them developed, scan them, and email you updated photos of Tucker. Lord knows how long it will take me to get them in the gallery.

Hogan is also very small compaired to my blenium, and frankly I just think rubys are prone to be smaller~ Unless your vet is worried, I just stay the course and watch him. I also believe that rubies may be more prone to upset tummys than their multi color counterparts....no solid evidence on this but just a hunch, as tonight Hogan had two drops of blood in his stool and I brought him in for a fecal float and exam and they found nothing.......Ill try and snap a few photos of hogan tomorrow to add .... at 6 months he weighs 11.8 pounds, so a bit larger than some but still on the same small path considering my blenium weighs in at 24 pounds...a very large boy.

Back