• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

White bits in his stools, what is it??

Harvey

hi everyone

My puppy Harvey is 10 weeks old - Since we got him he has had runny stools which appears to be the food that the breeder had him on (Beta Puppy) We started to feed him just boiled chicken and rice for about a week and his poo returned to normal but now there is tiny little white bits in it the size of pin heads - Does anyone know if this is just the rice not digesting properly or is it something else??

I started adding a small amount of JWB into his chicken and rice for a couple of days and his runs came straight back so we're back to chicken 'n' rice!!!

Has anyone got any suggestions as too what we can feed him on that won't upset him tummy and what the white bits in his poo might be???

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

hi and icon_welcome to the board.

Has Harvey been wormed? it may be that.

Sarah Xxx

hi Sarah

He was wormed by the breeder and i am in the middle of worming him again this week - so yes he has been wormed i guess - not sure how long it takes for the wormer to take effect?

The white bits only started 3 days ago!

*****Warning Gross Description of Poo********

Just a venture, but when a friend of mine's dog had worms and they dewormed him, it took about 2 or 3 days for the med to kick in and then it was gooey and stringy with little white flecks....

so they could mean the meds are working??

White bits could be worms or could just be bits of rice.

When worming this can also upset the tummy and make the stools loose so don't be alarmed but it should only last a few days at max.
I don't think a diet of chicken and rice is anywhere near nutritionally balanced enough to be feeding a puppy on. I realise you are only using it as a temporary measure but I would be making it a priority to get your pup onto a complete dry good quality diet that is highly digestable.
I am afriad I don't have any tips on how best to do this but you can always ring the vet and ask.
If it were me I would not leave it another 2 weeks till you go for the 12 week immunisation to discuss with vet as that is a long time to be lacking nutrients at an important time of growth. Also watch for dehydration in your little one as loose stools can really take it out of them.

Best wishes to you with it and here's to happy healthy pooing :)

Poor little Harvey! :hug: I'd watch for improvement in the next 2-3 days after worming. I know there are UK members who feed 'sensitive biscuits' to their pups - I think Claire knows a good brand to use. Maybe you could try it.

MathisGreen said:
*****Warning Gross Description of Poo********
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry! We all talk poo here! :lol: :lol:

We have all ours on Royal Cannin - Sensitivity when they have poo problems - even when they were puppies.

Your vet should be able to order it for you - it has an image of a westie on the front, one of the other suggestions by the vet was Chappie meat - which we bought but they would not touch it - it smelt horrible though. Let me know if you have any problems getting it - if so I have some left and can get it in the post to you.

Hi Claire,

Can you buy Royal Cannin Sensitivity in the shops or is it a vet order only??

I was told to try Royal Cannin by a friend as thats what they feed their dogs on without any trouble...

Hi Inca

We are just outside Southampton in the New Forest I shop in Jollye's Totton and sometimes Pets at Home in Southampton.

I went to Jollye's today and they didnt have 'Sensitivity' so i brought Royal Canin Mini Dogs 1-10kg Junior for 2 - 10 months its got a picture of a little Jack Russell on the front.

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/default.aspx?page=845

Is that the same thing???

[/img]

hi

no its not the same but its still good food ...ask the manager to order it in for you they have deliveries every other day....my local is waterlooville he orders it for me all the time

Thats great thanks - i will go back in there tomorrow, i know someone who works in there so they should be able to help!

Thank you very much for your help!!! :D

I have never seen it in any of the shops here, the vets always have a few bags in stock.

The stuff you have got - I would try that just a few small amounts per day - little and often and then see how he is what that, if no good then if you have the other stuff on order that is plan B.

Wesley's poo has that too and he's on the Innova puppy food. It can't be worms because the vet said he didn't have worms, but still had given him the deworming stuff. I'm thinking it's the food. But is it actually bad? He doesn't seem to mind.

I have a Shih Tzu that seemed to have allergy problems and switched to Royal Canin Shih Tzu and his licking subsided quite a lot, I was impressed so I stayed with Royal Canin for the puppy food and am feeding the puppies the Mini Puppy 33. Has a little Dachshund on the front.

8) One week later - how's the poo looking? The vet tech in me says worms (my first thought was actually tapeworms because of the rice-look to them and they require a different kind of medication - you would also see them around the pup's rear end).

Hope all is looking normal now. It's so frightening when your new baby has a problem! When I got Wallis, my oldest Cav, she had to have water that came from the breeder. When I ran out she began to have symptoms that looked like parvo - talk about a fright! Now she eats any and everything so we're okay.

Good luck!

It did turn out to be worms - which did surprise me as Harvey had already been wormed just pior to me spotting it.

We wormed him again and as if by magic the white bits disapeared!!

:w**h**:

8) Worms are just a puppy thing, and thank goodness they can be treated quickly and easily in most cases. And it usually takes worming them twice.

Glad all is well and you can get on with the other joys of puppy-hood - like house training, shoes getting chewed up, etc.

Back