• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Timing of major shedding periods?

Daisy's Mom

Hi,

Daisy is shedding right now like there is no tomorrow for shedding and it must all be done NOW! She will be a Chinese Crested hairless soon. I am kind of surprised that she is shedding so much given that it is just now getting really cold outside here. I would think she would be adding hair, not shedding it. Is there any predictability to the heavier shedding periods? My SIL said that she is losing her summer coat and getting her winter one, but I've never heard of that.

Daisy's Mom

Maybe she's losing her puppy coat? How old is she?

Both of mine are getting thicker coats right now--not much shedding.

I don't know too much about shedding, but I found the GREATEST invention ever to minimize it!

I got this little rubber brush called a zoom groom and if I brush Kosmo when he's still damp and not completely dry with it then hair flies off like there is no tomorrow!! He doens't seem to mind it as it doesn't pull his hair either!

i have one of those. i use it to wash brady with too, it make him all bubbly from the soap and if gets a lot of dirt out.

She's 7 months old, and she definitely went through a MAJOR shedding period a couple of weeks after we got her at 10 weeks old. So I assumed that was her puppy shedding.

I'll definitely look into the Zoom Groom. It sounds good. I have a grooming mitt that's pretty good at grabbing hair but it seems like she sheds at exactly the same rate after I use it, no matter how long I do it. Ditto with the other brushes I have. I think I'm going to invest in the lint remover industry! :roll:

It sounds like a first new winter coat but to be safe, be on the look out for any itching or reddness. Our lab was allergic to.... grass, (how cruel can Mother Nature be!) Every spring starting in late may it slowly began and by mid summer I could brush out 10 handfuls and still end up being able to wipe it off her back. It lasted till mid Oct. It started with the shedding but within the first 2 yrs went on to include a rash with it. She was given allergy pills which helped the shedding a tiny bit but more important prevented the rash stage.

Back