• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fractured Tibia HELP!!!

Harvey

I am so distraught and dont know what to do - My puppy Harvey was on the bed with me this morning for are morning cuddle, I got up to go to the bathroom leaving him still curled up on the bed. All of a sudden i heard a thud and Harvey started screaming!!! I ran to him he was holding his right back leg up - I straight away called our emergency vets trying to explain to the lady on the phone what had happened (not that she could really understand me through my crying on the phone) on her advice i rushed him to the Animal Hospital, they examined him and said they wanted to X-ray and that i had to leave him :(

They called two hours later to explain that he has fractured his tibia and needs to have a cast for a few weeks and that not to worry he should be fine and grow normally and that it was a fairly straight forward fracture.

I miss my baby so much i feel ill, i'm not allowed to collect him until Monday evening after he's seen the main vet.

Can anyone tell me about the cast he has to have?? Will he still be able to go to the toilet, walk etc etc

I have no idea how this will effect him for the next few weeks???????

:(

Oh - poor Harvey and poor you. I have had one or two frights with my puppy Jolly doing the same thing, but he didn't break a leg. :(

Sorry to hear this and glad he's OK.

This will probably be a few weeks of needing to give him mostly crate rest and keep him fairly confined. I'd guess this is going to be somewhat similar to patella surgery -- there are a few threads on what to expect regarding this in this section oif you search through them. You'll probably need to carry him out for potties for the first while. I'm sure some of our 'patella' people can tell you about their experience of a puppy in a cast and offer some help and advice. (y)

Generally keep in mind puppies don;t have the ability to jump easily up or down from anything like a kitten would nor the flexible limbs that can absorb shock-- so need to be watched if they are on any place that is raised up. This is a breed that will not like to be left alone and is likely to try and follow you and hence jump pff beds, chairs, sofas. Getting a special doggie steps would be a help as he grows. :)

Thank you for your kind words - makes his upset tummy problems seem not much of a problem.....

I cant wait to bring him home!!!! :luv:

Poor little man! :( Hope he feels better soon!

Hopefully we'll hear from JeanKC - their puppy fell off the bed and broke his leg. They had him in a puppy playpen for awhile when he had a cast.

My India had patella surgery, but didn't have a cast or even a bandage, so I'm not much help! We had to carry her outside to go potty, because there were steps involved. We kept her in a roomy crate and 30 inch tall x-pen for 9-11 weeks to protect her from injuring herself.

Poor little Harvey...and poor you! I'm sure you felt horrible. Yes, KC, pipe in. And I'm drawing a complete blank but someone's hubby stepped on puppy and broke it's leg. While they were on vacation!! Everything turned out just fine. Just give him lots of love when you get him home :(

I think I'll get some puppy steps. This thread is scaring me. Is it still a potential break at Tucker's age? 18 months? My bed is pretty high up, I keep a leather ottoman in my bedroom, I use it as a seat when I sit to blowdry my hair, put on makeup, etc. When it's not in use that way, I slide it along side my bed for Tucker to get up or down, however, if he's on the bed, while I'm getting ready and he wants down, he'll jump down and land on the floor, i'm guessing it's about 3 feet. Is that okay? Or could that kind of jump cause a broken limb? There's no carpeting, it's a hardwood floor he's landing on.

It's a terrible feelling isn't it?

Elvis was in the playpen for maybe an hour or two when we first got home from the Doc. He hated THAT idea. He was in a very tightly wrapped splint instead of a 'proper' cast, but it really didn't slow him down much. He drug it around behind him and used the doggie door just like always. Obviously he didn't do any jumping, and was limited to some extent, but other than having to pick him up when he wanted to sit with us, we didn't have to accommodate him much. They make the best of it.

KC

Joanne M said:
I think I'll get some puppy steps. This thread is scaring me. Is it still a potential break at Tucker's age? 18 months? My bed is pretty high up, I keep a leather ottoman in my bedroom, I use it as a seat when I sit to blowdry my hair, put on makeup, etc. When it's not in use that way, I slide it along side my bed for Tucker to get up or down, however, if he's on the bed, while I'm getting ready and he wants down, he'll jump down and land on the floor, i'm guessing it's about 3 feet. Is that okay? Or could that kind of jump cause a broken limb? There's no carpeting, it's a hardwood floor he's landing on.

Both elvis and Beau CAN jump off the bed (and have), but they use the steps. I think the wood floor is slick to begin with... and they've got hairy feet... so they don't really like jumping. When Elvis got hurt he was falling, and wasn't 'prepared'.

Thank you JeanKC thats made me feel better to think that it might not bother him too much.

The night before he fell was the first night Harvey went ALL night without asking to go out to the toilet - I was so proud of him!!!

Last night i kept waking up thinking does he need the toilet and then realizing he wasnt there! This morning i called my cat Harvey haha

The sooner he's back the better i think, then i wont keep doing silly things!!!

I booked our first family holiday with Harvey for between Christmas and New Year for a few days in a Scandinavian Log Cabin in the forest - beautiful time of year to go there, its quiet and peaceful - but i'm guessing Harvey will not be able to go as thats only in 3 weeks?? :sl*p:

As I recall, Elvis had his splint on for two weeks. The day after it came off, we went on a road trip with him and Beauregard. He limped for several days, but he got around. There was an obvious boo-boo on his pawpad that I think might've been a rub from the splint... and THAT contributed to the limp as well. It was several weeks before he was convinced he could jump on the couch by himself. It was interesting to observe him as he went through the process of deciding it was 'fixed.

Soooo.... I say take him and go.

KC

Counting down till i can bring Harvey home tomorrow!!!!

Thank you all for your kind words!!!

:thnku:

Bless him he is making the most of it and hobbling around!

He's been outside to go to the toilet - i put a plastic bag over his plaster so as not to get it wet and dirty on the grass.

He is at the vets for his last injection and a quick check up on wednesday, then they want him back for a plaster change on friday - they said he will need a new plaster every week!

I just hope he heels real quick and can get back to doing what puppies do best and run around!

Back