• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

litter pan training?

Karoube

I was wondering if anybody have train their cavaliers to use a litterpan while indoor alone (or when it's cold outside or on rainy days) and to go outside the rest of the time. The breeder I will buy my puppy from believe that it would not be a good idea with cavaliers as they are proned to digging (but I would use paper in the pan) and they are maybe too large as a breed for this kind of potty training... What do you think? My husband's parents are owned by yorkshire terrier and they go in litterpan, that's why my husband was interested by this. The first breed we were considering was the papillon and they too can be litterpan train.. what about the cavaliers? are they really too big? did it's impossible for them? did some of you used it or use peepee pad indoor?

thanks

Nancy

My current litter is litter box trained and it is the best! Also , my 6 month old puppy came to me litter trained. During the day, I trained him to go outside but he always had the option of the box or a pee pad , because he was getting a little large for the size I had. There was no confusion and he's perfectly housebroken now. But when he was 12 weeks old and couldn't make it the whole night , when he'd cry, I would have him go in the litter box and I didn't have to let him outside in the middle of the night. I am not sure it would be very easy to train him now to use it but it's possible. The puppies that have gone home already are using it too and the people love it! Some people chose not to, but the ones that did think it's fabulous, especially for the cold weather.

thanks! and if the breeder dont train the puppy that way? my breeder will train her puppies to go outside. She told me that the puppies will be 60% pottytrained when they will leave for their new home. Will it be still possible to train the puppy to use a litter pan after all? the puppy should be 10 weeks when we will adopt him. I believe it's easier for both the dog and the owner mostly when it rain or when it's very cold outside. We will ask for a puppy in spring, but during the nights, it could help a lot in my idea.

thanks

Nancy

I'll be the usual broken record here and say, Shirlee Kalstone covers this option Housetraining a Dog in Seven Days -- very good guide with schedules for housetraining.

Another guide to buy!!!!! :sl*p: thanks! :D this will be my fourth dogs related guide this month... I hope I will be able to find this one in French..

thanks!

Nancy

Are these litter boxes like cat litter boxes? I use piddle pads/dog training pads for Tucker. But when the weather is good he goes outside. I'm trying to figure out something I can use on the porch for snow/rainy days. What do you use for litter?

Nancy your English is excellent.

:)

thanks, lol...so many Nancys! The box is called second nature and it comes in sizes, it's made for dogs. I buy wood pellets , 40 lbsfor $5

My sister's 35lb English Cocker uses a litter box. He mostly goes outside, but if he really has to go when he's inside, he uses the litter box. She trained him to use it when he was 6 months old.

Also, my parents Cavalier uses the litterbox with paper in it. He also mostly goes outside, but during the day if they are gone he'll go in the litterbox.

Back