• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

boric acid solution to clean under eyes

PamH

Maddy has little brown areas under her eyes. The breeder said we have to clean under her eyes every day with a boric acid solution. We are so paranoid about making it too strong that we made it very weak and it is not removing the stains.
Can anyone help?
Pam

I just use cooled bolied water on kitchen towel {not cotton wool as the fibres can irritate the eyes} or I have some special cleaning pads made by Love the Planet - more environmentally friendly and they just go in the washing machine.

http://www.lovetheplanet.co.uk/shop/index.html

If you clean them every day and also feed a sensible diet, they shouldn't get stained.

i use contact lense solution or optrex eye wash solution to clean lady's eyes and that works quite well, i got the idea from an old thread.

Regarding the contact lens solution - it might be important to note that you want to use a variety that is safe to actually go inside the eye (in case it winds up there by accident ...). I think Renew was the the kind that was mentioned because it is both a rinse and a cleaner and is safe for the eyes.

Anything with the word acid in it would scare me especially near the eye.
I have always cleaned the boys eyes everyday and they have never had stains. I just use warm water.
My own nutty thing is if ever i'm not sure about something I try it on myself first. (within reason). My men were prescribed malacetic wipes to help keep there lip folds clean and it says these can also be use around the eyes so I had to stick it in my eye to see if it stings first and of course taste it as I was using it near their mouth. All I can say is Yuk ! but it did not sting my eye. :)

Lani didn't think of that my contact soltuion says cleans, stores and lubricates its amo complete moisture plus so that should be ok to use.I did use Reneu but had to stop when my optician told me about the whole problem with reneu moisture loc not getting rid of all of the germs on the lenses effectively. And they had to recall the products back because someone had a fungus infection in their eye :yikes But they have reformulated it now so its safe.

I often see an ad for EyeEnvy in the New York Dog magazine... is this product along the same lines?

Has anyone used it? Is it any good?

EyeEnvy is a great product and I used the liquid and the powder when Chester was younger and had bad staining. Here's the website: http://www.eyeenvy.com and here's the $20 starter kit: http://www.eyeenvy.com/Detail.bok?no=12.

It's not cheap, but it works very well and if the staining is really bad I suggest you use the liquid to clean the area and then using your finger rub the white powder into the stained area to help dry and absorb the protein "goo" that causes the staining. The powder also acts as a bit of a coverup for the stains.

When I had been using it for a while I called the company to tell them how much I loved it and I had a really nice conversation with the customer service woman and to make a long story short...she went to my website and saw my pics of my Chester and asked if I would mind if they added him to their gallery. So now there are 3 pics of little puppy Chester on their site: http://www.eyeenvy.com/gallery/Chaz-EE-Model-(Cavalier-King-Charles)?page=2

Good luck!

P.S. Boric acid is a nice eye wash and is perfectly safe but I personally don't know how well it will dissolve the protein stains. I'm going to check into it myself!

eye envy is a great product to remove tear stains ....would highly recommend :flwr:

Cute pictures of Chester. And hey...those are Marilyn Mayfield's Cavaliers. Oh she has the prettiest dogs!!

I use Eye Envy for Shelby. We use the liquid every couple of days and if she starts staining I will use the powder for a few days. As long as there is no medical problem causing the staining (like Linda's entropian) eye envy works great.

Back