• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

cleaning teeth?

emmawright

when should i start cleaning daisys teeth? she is now 5 and a half months old, and has lost several of her puppy teeth. i do have a toothbrush and toothpaste for her but not sure when to start...

I'd start with one of those tooth brushes that is actually a soft plastic finger cover with rough bits, as it's just a step from putting your finger into the puppy's mouth.

Despite doing this , two of mine absolutely refuse to haev their teeth brushed and they are the ones needing more dentals.

I would start brushing her teeth right away to get her used to it. I started brushing Coco's teeth almost as soon as she came here. I think it's more important for the permanent teeth to be brushed regularly but it's a good idea to start early.

Here's how I did it: (I posted this earlier).

I started out slowly, and later graduated to a toothbrush.

First of all, I didn't start teeth cleaning with a brush or finger stall, which I think you are referring to. I began introducing Coco to my wet finger in her mouth, gently massaging her gums. No toothpaste.

Next, I used a little piece of gauze wrapped around my index finger, dipped in water. Again, I massaged her gums and tried to brush her teeth with it. Really she was just biting down on it. You are just trying to get her used to having your finger in her mouth. (I did this for a while, but it paid off.)

Then one day, I put a little doggie toothpaste on the gauze, and she went nuts! She loved it. So the next day I took out the toothbrush, but it looked huge for her tiny mouth. I had a baby toothbrush in the house, the kind for a human baby- it had a nice small head. It worked better. She really looks forward to having her teeth brushed and she's very cooperative!

It takes patience and time. I wouldn't rush into using a toothbrush yet. Get him used to having you put your finger in his mouth. I've heard a lot of dogs hate toothbrushing time- so you aren't alone.

I would not start cleaning her teeth until she is finished teething, because her mouth will be sore in places, and she may see it as a very negative experience.

I would just put a small amount of dog toothpaste on the brush and let her lick it and put it into her own mouth if she wants to. After her teething is finished, she will already like the toothbrush and it will be easy for both of you. :flwr:

Back