• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how swollen is too swollen?

mt0382

Henry just got fixed 2 days ago, and im a bit worried about how his wound is healing. his behavior is getting back to normal, but the area itself is pretty red. Also it appears to be swollen where his old friends usted to be. What should i really be looking for? hmmm,
thanks for reading.

ps- it didnt stop us from going to petco and getting his photo with santa,,, who henry was terribly frightened by. he thing he is such a big shot too!!

I don't recall alot of redness or swelling when Tucker was neutered, it was however, a year ago, I may have forgotten. The vet should be able to tell you over the phone if he needs to be re-checked.

Does it feel hot to touch? I would definitely get him back to the Vets for a check over. It sounds like it could be an infection brewing. Hot to touch is definitely an infection.

Easily solved with some antibiotics and no, it won't have been anything you did wrong! :hug: good luck :D

I would get a vet checkup. It could set your mind at rest.

My Henry was done on Wednesday last week. He had one stitch put in although often they manage to not need a stitch. He automatically had a checkup at the vet's at 3 days post-op and was declared to be coming along excellently. His stitch comes out at 10 days.

His scrotum was very slightly bruised - just a tiny bit of redness which has now gone. His wound is clean and the minimal redness has gone.

We have had to take loads of measures to make sure he doesn't lick it as he and Lucy were desperate to get at it. Just today we are letting him out of his buster collar and babygro while we are there watching him. In his crate he will be back in the buster collar.

Has your Henry been licking it on the sly maybe? If so then a buster collar could sort that. The vet said that if they lick a lot it can make the area swell and be uncomfortable.

Poor Henry. I'm sure he will soon be better. And at least when the "bits" have gone they've gone and can't grow back!!!

where his old friends usted to be
:lol: :lol:

I'd just give the vets a call -- they will let you know if he needs to come in. Some dogs end up more swollen and sore than others -- depends a lot on the individual as well as how involved the surgery ends up being. It probably isn;t a concern but the vet will let you know. Often they get swollen for several days and thus look like the 'friends' are still there, but it all settles down eventually.

Yep, I'd give the vet a call just to make sure. I seem to recall that Jake was a bit pink and puffy down there for a few days. But, like Cathy says, he was never hot to the touch so he wasn't infected.

Back