Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darby Is Being Neutered/Very Low Platelets

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Darby Is Being Neutered/Very Low Platelets

I feel dreadful, I have been trying to hold off on Darby's neutering until he was closer to a year.
    He will be 9 months on Dec 29th, I just feel that his hormones have kicked in with a vengeance and although he doesn't bother any of the children he seems to be pretty hyper lately.

I called the Vet this morning and they just happened to have a cancellation this coming Friday, so I have gone ahead and booked the bloodwork, hernia repair and NEUTERING.

What a Christmas present I am giving him, my husband is flipping out on me and he keeps telling me we should wait.

He said but he is such a beautiful boy, daaaah I keep reminding him that we are not breeders. This is coming from when we first brought Darby home my breeder showed an interest in using Darby as a stud. This really is not something that I want, yes in our eyes he is a beautiful boy
    but I also reminded hubby that poor Dudley was done before his testacles even dropped.

Wish him luck, for some reason I am shaking.
    I want him to be able to enjoy the snow and play this winter. I am also sticking with my own Vet, I don't feel comfortable with another Vet I spoke to who wants them to stay overnight with absolutely no one in the office overnight.
    At my Vet's you drop them off before 9:00 a.m. and pick them up after work the same day. This will give me this coming weekend to cuddle and care for him, they say he will be fine within a few days but they recommend keeping him quiet for 7 Days. I cannot imagine me keeping Darby quiet for 7 days.

Please, please tell me he will be fine.
    They said if they find anything in the bloodwork they will give him IV Fluids and call me, if for any reason his bloodwork is not okay they will not do the surgery.

What could show up in his bloodwork to prevent them from doing the surgery. I am not going to sleep all week now.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

He will be fine Linda. He is a beautiful healthy boy and he will be bouncing around in the snow before you can turn around!

Blood count will check for any abnormalalities that could indicate renal(kidney) function problems, blood counts, any signs of infection.

He will do just great! And you will have a great weekend snuggling that beautiful little ruby boy.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I am sure everything will be peachy!

Good luck... I know how it is to worry! Just remember to keep breathing... everything should be fine!
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]We[/COLOR] [COLOR=plum]Love [/COLOR][COLOR=yellowgreen]Cicero[/COLOR]![/B]
    [B][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Suum Cuique"[/COLOR][/B]
    (To Each Thier Own)

Post Thanks / Like

good luck!

We've got to decide wether to get Bertie done at 6 mths when he has his hernia operation.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are getting his hernia repaired, then I would definetely get him neutered at the sametime.

My Vet advised to wait to fix the hernia until he was being neutered no reason to put him under twice.

Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Linda,
    You have read how worried we all can get about putting our babies under for surgery, but you have also read that everything always turns out just fine.

We got Arthur done on a Friday also and stayed in to cuddle him that night. By Saturday morning, he didn't even know what happened and was doing everything he could to get out of his onesie and see what the big deal was 'down there'.

It will ease you mind to know that my avatar of the boys romping on the beach happened the Sunday after his surgery. They said to keep him as quiet as possible for 7 days, and we tried, really....but the best we could really do was make sure he wasn't straining to jump up and down off of the couch and bed.

We only let him run a little each day (see avatar) and always under our supervision. His stitches came out 7 days later and all is well.

Your husband will get over it....Darby is gorgeous but you need to do what you think is best for your baby...

We will be thinking about little Darby this Friday.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Ashley

Have you noticed any difference in Arthur since he was done, Dudley was only 5 /12 months when he was done and he was no where near as active as Darby is.

So is a onesie better than a cone.
    I still have Dudley's cone, Darby is always checking himself out down under.

I really hope he does not lose his spunk for life but just in a calmer fashion.
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Linda,

After being around Darby I would not advise putting him in a cone!! haha that little pistol will be running into walls and everything.. poor little guy!

I think Darby will be fine - just take a deep breath and relax. I didn't notice too much of a difference in Kos when he was neutered, and he was neutered @ 5 months. I couldn't take it anymore, it had to be done. I must say Darby is sure a gentleman for being able to hold out this long though!

Kos was just a horndog!!

The vet I took Kos to thought I was nuts !! I brought his food, a bottle of water, his dishes, and even bought him a new booda bone for when he got out. .oh yea and his blanket, harness, and leash. Although they didn't even let him out to pee!!

They didn't use anything but they said they might have to keep him overnight .. thank God he got to come home because that poor boy was bursting and i was soo angry with them!!

Will Darby need some get well treats???
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Linda, we all understand your worries but you know they will take extra good care of your boy and all will be fine. Again if the hernia needs to be repaired better to do it at the same time. And you know how quickly dogs recover from surgeries, it's all you can do to keep them quiet during recovery!
    Darby will be fine and we will all be sending out the positive thoughts for everything to go well. He will be okay Linda and we will be here for you.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

Jolly J(h)umper gets neutered on Wed. Dec 13th !
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)