• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Darby Is Being Neutered/Very Low Platelets

Linda

I feel dreadful, I have been trying to hold off on Darby's neutering until he was closer to a year. :(
He will be 9 months on Dec 29th, I just feel that his hormones have kicked in with a vengeance and although he doesn't bother any of the children he seems to be pretty hyper lately. :jmp:

I called :blabla: the Vet this morning and they just happened to have a cancellation this coming Friday, so I have gone ahead and booked the bloodwork, hernia repair and NEUTERING. :cry*ing:

What a Christmas present I am giving him, my husband is flipping out on me and he keeps telling me we should wait. :bang:

He said but he is such a beautiful boy, daaaah I keep reminding him that we are not breeders. This is coming from when we first brought Darby home my breeder showed an interest in using Darby as a stud. This really is not something that I want, yes in our eyes he is a beautiful boy
but I also reminded hubby that poor Dudley was done before his testacles even dropped. :dogwlk:

Wish him luck, for some reason I am shaking. :cry*ing:
I want him to be able to enjoy the snow and play this winter. I am also sticking with my own Vet, I don't feel comfortable with another Vet I spoke to who wants them to stay overnight with absolutely no one in the office overnight. :shock:
At my Vet's you drop them off before 9:00 a.m. and pick them up after work the same day. (y) This will give me this coming weekend to cuddle and care for him, they say he will be fine within a few days but they recommend keeping him quiet for 7 Days. I cannot imagine me keeping Darby quiet for 7 days.

Please, please tell me he will be fine.
They said if they find anything in the bloodwork they will give him IV Fluids and call me, if for any reason his bloodwork is not okay they will not do the surgery.

What could show up in his bloodwork to prevent them from doing the surgery. :huh: I am not going to sleep all week now.

He will be fine Linda. He is a beautiful healthy boy and he will be bouncing around in the snow before you can turn around!

Blood count will check for any abnormalalities that could indicate renal(kidney) function problems, blood counts, any signs of infection.

He will do just great! And you will have a great weekend snuggling that beautiful little ruby boy.

Oh, I am sure everything will be peachy!

Good luck... I know how it is to worry! Just remember to keep breathing... everything should be fine!

good luck!

We've got to decide wether to get Bertie done at 6 mths when he has his hernia operation.

If you are getting his hernia repaired, then I would definetely get him neutered at the sametime.

My Vet advised to wait to fix the hernia until he was being neutered no reason to put him under twice.

:( :( :( :( :(

Linda,
You have read how worried we all can get about putting our babies under for surgery, but you have also read that everything always turns out just fine.

We got Arthur done on a Friday also and stayed in to cuddle him that night. By Saturday morning, he didn't even know what happened and was doing everything he could to get out of his onesie and see what the big deal was 'down there'.

It will ease you mind to know that my avatar of the boys romping on the beach happened the Sunday after his surgery. They said to keep him as quiet as possible for 7 days, and we tried, really....but the best we could really do was make sure he wasn't straining to jump up and down off of the couch and bed.

We only let him run a little each day (see avatar) and always under our supervision. His stitches came out 7 days later and all is well.

Your husband will get over it....Darby is gorgeous but you need to do what you think is best for your baby...

We will be thinking about little Darby this Friday. :flwr:

Ashley

Have you noticed any difference in Arthur since he was done, Dudley was only 5 /12 months when he was done and he was no where near as active as Darby is.

So is a onesie better than a cone.
I still have Dudley's cone, Darby is always checking himself out down under.

I really hope he does not lose his spunk for life but just in a calmer fashion. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Linda,

After being around Darby I would not advise putting him in a cone!! :yikes :yikes haha that little pistol will be running into walls and everything.. poor little guy!

I think Darby will be fine - just take a deep breath and relax. I didn't notice too much of a difference in Kos when he was neutered, and he was neutered @ 5 months. I couldn't take it anymore, it had to be done. I must say Darby is sure a gentleman for being able to hold out this long though!

Kos was just a horndog!!

The vet I took Kos to thought I was nuts !! I brought his food, a bottle of water, his dishes, and even bought him a new booda bone for when he got out. .oh yea and his blanket, harness, and leash. Although they didn't even let him out to pee!! :x :x :x

They didn't use anything but they said they might have to keep him overnight .. thank God he got to come home because that poor boy was bursting and i was soo angry with them!! :( :( :(

Will Darby need some get well treats??? ;) ;) ;)

Oh Linda, we all understand your worries but you know they will take extra good care of your boy and all will be fine. :flwr: Again if the hernia needs to be repaired better to do it at the same time. And you know how quickly dogs recover from surgeries, it's all you can do to keep them quiet during recovery! :sl*p:
Darby will be fine and we will all be sending out the positive thoughts for everything to go well. He will be okay Linda and we will be here for you. :)

Sorry it has been over 2 years since Dudley was neutered, I know once they are done you have to really watch that they don't gain too much weight.

Anybody experienced this, I don't recall Dudley gaining weight.

What is the reason for them gaining weight anybody know.

Ah, Linda and Charleen. Little Jolly and Darby will be like new so quick. Our Casey was done at 7 months and we just kept him from jumping. He was fine and was acting like himself as soon as we brought him home the next day. Also didn't even bother with his stitches or anything. IT will hurt you and your OH more...ouch! Hugs to both boys.

Having had Barney done at 9 mouths old he still has daft as before and I did not ues a collar thing---Aileen

I will think of your both on Friday, but I also know all will be fine! Although my experience was 15 yrs ago and with a female, I remember in the end our dog was a little groggy and slept when she got home (like you morning drop off and evening pick up). But the next day although quieter for a few days she was her happy self. You'd never know anything had been done.

The problem was me! I was a nervous wreak, I was the one that needed the sedative and to relax. Its the same with my kids now, they may be 19 and 21 but if one of them is hurting I feelit 10x worse! I am such a sap that way.

We didnt use a cone, but for the little cost, I would buy one and have it available. It really is an individual thing - he may be bothered by it and lick it or he may ignore it. We were given a cream to help with healing that also dubbed as a not nice taste - that deterred any wanting of irrating it so the cone was never used. Besides both my brother and sister have cones hanging around their house because both dogs have needed them the odd time for other things (cuts, skin rash etc) so why not get it now because you never know when it can come in handy.

Oh and I know he will feel fine after the surgery as I sit here typing a little drugged myself this morning as i just got back from an endoscopy and my my if he feels like me, he will be in a nice fuzzy state icon_whistling

Not to steal your post - but I am confused as to why people are discussing when to do this. I thought 6mths was standard. Is it better to hold off or is it just a matter of 6mths but if you want you can wait? Also since I am reading lots of posts going back ages to get info and refresh my puppy memories... I remember I read a post last night from this sites moderator which exlained weight gain. You'd be better to search for it, but if i interperted it right - it said the weight gain was due to some slow down after therefore their nutritional needs should be adjusted if weight gain is noticed. Its not that they gain weight because of it, but because they might not be as active.

linda, i relate to your anxiety--i made appointments for neutering and cancelled 3 times. :yikes :yikes :yikes

it was hard. (on me, not on him).

after i dropped him off i was crying in my car, driving to the market. it was because i didn't get to say good bye, there was a misunderstanding.

i really like my vet, i think she did a great job. she used self dissolving stitches which meant there was no follow up, once he healed, it was over. it was just a tiny wound, in the shape of an X, maybe an inch, it looked pretty superficial, kind of gross of course on the first day (i actually have a photo of it becuase i wanted to see how it was healing), but it healed really fast, each day it got smaller and she wanted him to heal for 7 days. i did it on a saturday, i took off work on the monday just to keep an eye on him but he was fine by then. i didn't have a follow up appointment. on the phone, the vet said it was fine for him to go to the dog park on the following saturday, even though he gets into some rough and dirty activity there. she was not worried.

but she adamantly wanted him to wear the cone. i used the onesie when i was home but put the collar on when i wasn't home. but zack liked the collar. he likes anything i put on him, sweaters, raincoats, collar/harness. i don't know why. he did run into walls or door frames, and struggled with it to get into his crate, but he did not seem to mind at all, he acted like it was his normal condition, didn't seem to realize there was anything different.

the worst part was when i picked him up. they had given him a pain shot during the surgery in a addition to the anaesthesia and he didn't look good at all, i was distraught to see him so uncomfortable looking. he went into his smaller crate at home, in the living room, and slept for most of the 12 hours following the surgery. he got up a couple of times and found that he wasn't right, and went back to sleep. Then, suddenly he got up and wanted to play and seemed to feel fine, it was 1am. :sl*p:
i was happy even though more than ready to go to sleep myself at that point, but i played with him. he seemed to be careful in his movements but psychologically he seemed happy and back to normal. The next day, the day after the surgery, he was his normal self/activity level/mood. The vet was not terribly concerned about activity but she was quite concerned about infection, and about the sutures being disturbed by him licking them, so she strongly urged me to use the cone. but zack didn't lick, hardly. i did use the cone though. she scared me, she said both times that i talked to her on the phone soon after, "I would hate to have to bring him back into surgery and put him under anaesthesia again."

but the main thing is, it was such a minor thing for zack, except for those hours he was still under the anaesthesia, and i think the pain shot complicated that situation. I'm not sure why they gave him the pain shot, i wish i had asked. i dont[ know if that's very common, but they charged plenty for it.

Since the neutering, Zack has been more active than ever if that's possible. He doesn't sleep much when i'm home, though more lately because my liftestyle changed and im less fun than i was before. :(

He did not gain any weight after being neutered at 7 months, until around 12 months. then he gained about a pound and a half, and he is now two pounds more than he was when he was neutered.

The increased frenetic excitment he had before the surgery went away. He still gets excited, but before the surgery, he woudl freak when he got excited, barking in a high pitched way, arf arf arf, like if we would get near the dog park. and even arfing while playing witht he other dogs, he was beyond excited. that stopped. The leg lifting frequency went down noticeably. that was about it. i have seen no decline in activity or weight gain, just a normal expected weight gain, and always active and exuberant still.

One of the most important things to me in the neutering, that made me feel better, was to use the homeopathic remedies that Nicki used with Jack. i don't remember what they all were, i think phosphorus was one--the thing is, there is something to give them for anaesthesia effects (which i forgot to give him, though i bought it) and stuff for surgical wound healing, and stuff for genital wounds, giving Zack those things, arnica was probably one of them, made me feel better, i've had great experiences with homeopathic stuff for infections and for wounds so i felt like i was really doing something helpful.

my vet also gave him pain pills and antibiotics, i think. i'm not sure about the antibiotics. i gave him one pain pill, not because he acted in pain, on the contrary, he never acted in pain, but because the vet said to give it to him whether he acted in pain or not. but i ended up only doing it once even though she said to do it for a day or two or more, i dont' remember.
i'm guessing she may have prescribed pain pills around the clock to keep him from wanting to lick the incision. but he didn't do it anyway.

i know that if i go through this with a second dog, it will be easier for me. but it was hard on many levels. Not that i wanted to breed zack ever, but there was something about altering the natural perfection of his body, and unknown health risks of doing that which went against my instincts. but the social/behavioral reasons for doing it became strong enough for me to choose to do it.

was dudley a quieter puppy before the neutering?

Judy

Thank you so much for your detailed post, I just actually called the Vet again to confirm that the stitches are dissolving and they are.

She said if he is more comfortable in his own crate then to bring that along too along with his leash, it will be just like my husband to forget everything.

I have called to make appointments Judy and find out the waiting list and said okay I will call back. I never actually made the appointment, Darby is not a marker or a humper he just gets really excited when we go to the park and sometimes at home too. I figure since I am also awaiting surgery I better get him done while I am okay, not that it will take him long to recover.

My husband will be the one crying, he has to bring him and when he brought Dudley all the girls in the office had assure him Dudley would be fine. I am sure they will have to do the same, I feel like I have given Darby a much longer time that I did Dudley and I really don't think he is going to be such a big boy. I would guess him around 15 to 16 lbs full grown.

I have emailed Nicki, not sure if her broadband is down again.
But I really haven't seen her on the boards over the last few days.

I like my Vet too and it is the same Vet who did Dudley just for some reason I am thinking it is going to hurt Darby more since his testacles have dropped and Dudley's didn't as he was much younger.

My son claims that Darby has a deeper bark than Dudley because of this.
Who knows, if hubby had his say then Darby would never be getting done.
We have the cone still from Dudley, but like Sara said I can't picture Darby keeping that on, I will most likely ask one of the parents for a old Onsie from the kids.

We'll Judy we will all one day get together so that you can just be as much fun for Zack as you were before.

Dudley has always been pretty quiet, he was more playful as a puppy but since we got Darby he plays more now.
Luv
Linda & The Boys

Here is a thread where Nicki talked about the remedies. Scroll down to the second to last post, she gives details of her homeopath's remedies for the surgery. There's lots of other neutering info on the thread too.

CLICK HERE

btw the blood work is mainly looking for liver and kidney function i think. maybe they are also looking at those are the organs that will mostly process and eliminate the anaesthesia.

Charleen said:
Jolly J(h)umper gets neutered on Wed. Dec 13th !

Charleen I am thinking of Jolly today, please let me know how he is.

Funny I found one of the kids Baby Undershirts, put it on Darby last night and is perfect as a onsie. I cut a hole for his tail.
I will take a pic later and let you all have a look, it is so funny. :D :D :D :D :D

HUbby is really making me feel guilty about neutering him early.

I think it is also because he is dropping off, but he was going on and on about it the other night I had to end up going upstairs.
You would think it was him that was being done. :yikes :yikes :yikes

[quote="Linda]You would think it was him that was being done. :yikes :yikes :yikes[/quote]
Now there's a thought :badgrin: :badgrin:

Just posting to wish you all the best for tomorrow darling, don't worry, he will be fine.

He's young and will bounce back really quickly - the hardest thing will be keeping him quiet afterwards :D

Thanks for posting the link Judy - glad you found it helpful, I always give remedies before adn after surgery, I make up the remedies in a sterile bottle with some cooled boiled water, and that makes it easy for the vets to give 3-4 drops asap afterwards, and a couple of times later that day if the dog is to be in for a while. My vet isn't interested in homoeopathy but has been impressed by how quickly they recover...

Many vets would rather you didn't take in lots of your pets own things...it's very easy for them to get lost :(

Tell Frank to remind them about the hernia just in case it's not been written down to do....

and will be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for you and for darling Darby - and special cuddles for Dudley, he will miss his wee brother...

The reason they tend to gain weight after neutering is that the metabolism changes, and they do tend to be less active too. as long as you reduce his food a bit - perhaps by a 1/3 and see how he goes...and keep up his exercise, he should be fine. You are aware of it so he's not going to put on pounds without you noticing. TBH Jack has actually lost weight since neutering...

Back