• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Darby Is Being Neutered/Very Low Platelets

Linda, He is going to be fine. The vets know what they are doing and if he is having a little trouble taking in air, it sounds like they have already identified it and are doing what they need to do.

Just try and stay calm for your other little boy, he can probably sense that you are upset.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you Everybody for being so concerned about my little boy. :flwr:

Just called the Vet again, as hubby called and wanted to know if he could go get him. They said Frank can pick him up in another hour. :D

They said he is fine now, although he does have some swelling and has been given some meds for the pain. :|

They will be sending home instructions with Frank, the house feels so empty without him. :( Then in another few days he will be running around here like a pistol. :yikes

He usually follows me everywhere I go, Dudley is just laying around sleeping everything is so quiet.

I am sure he will be back to himself in a few days.
They did just take him out to do potty.

So Darby does not usually sleep in his crate, he usually sleeps with me in my bed.

I don't think after what he has been through that I should make him sleep in his crate.

I just want him to come home, it is better that he arrives after the house has quietened down anyway, so he can :slp:

oh Linda Kosmo didn't want to sleep at all when I brought him home.. He said "to hell with you woman" and destroyed a few paper things and ran around like a nuthouse.

So glad the vet took him out to go potty!!

See I told you he was fine. :) My little guy Darby you're such a strong little red-headed man!! Don't worry about losing the "family jewels," most every dog has to go through it! :yikes Kosmo says he doesn't miss his (even though I think it's cuz he doesn't remember them!! :yikes :yikes )

We look forward to seeing you next Saturday - maybe you and Kosmo can compare scars.. LOL :lol:

oh so glad wee Darby is ok...

TedBear was very cold after his anaesthetic too and they wouldn't let me have him back for a while...but he was fine later.

Thank goodness Frank can go and get him now...you will feel better once he's home and safe with you...

He might be better in the crate next to the bed...maybe raise it up so it's on the same level as the bed, so he can see you. He will be a bit sore and will be safer in the crate, just in case you accidentally bump him.

Dudley is prob missing his wee brother...he will be happy to have him home.

Maybe try giving Darby a very small meal...perhaps some boiled chicken and rice, just a couple of spoonfuls Don't worry if he doesn't want it though, he might still be feeling a bit sicky and will prob be hungry in the morning.

I am so glad he is ok! Poor little fella. :flwr:

I think Spencer would go through it again because he got so much extra love and attention and TOYS! :yikes

h*lp h*lp :cry*ing: :cry*ing:
Okay now I am worrying, sorry you guys are really gonna thing I am a big wuss.

I just called them to see if Frank had arrived yet, I spoke with the nurse who assisted in the surgery.

How they don't tell you things to worry you, but I am now sitting here crying, I am sure that some of you have mentioned this before and it is normal for cavaliers but somebody please respond.

His platelets count is very very low they checked it twice and she said she was very concerned as they can bleedout, his pressure dropped during the surgery. They inserted IV Fluids for safety and they are sending him home with

Arneca Homepathic Remedy.

She could automatically hear the worry in my voice but she said the Vet re-assured her that this is normal for cavaliers.

Nicki/Sara help. :cry*ing: :cry*ing:

Sorry just re read your post, yes sounds like your vet is aware of this in Cavaliers...

:oops:

I'm sure he will be fine - they wouldn't be sending him home if they were worried...

Linda, very low platelet counts are definitely normal for cavaliers. I'm not sure what the tech meant--did she mean that even for a cavalier it was low? But then later she said it was normal? one thing for sure, cavaliers normally have platelet counts that are so low that in another breed, it would be pathological and worrisome, but not in the cavalier.

I expect the drop in blood pressure isn't uncommon either. It sounded like the main reason for caution in discharging him was the reverse sneezing, which i am guessing could be because the anaesthesia relaxed the muscles and caused that part of the pharynx or whatever it is to fall down over the opening further than usual, but if they're ready to discharge him, he surely is fine now.

Your vet earned my highest respect for giving him arnica to help with healing.

Good luck and let us all know how he is doing when he gets home.
He really should be pretty normal by tomorrow if not sooner. i hope so, for your sake, poor baby, how stressful.

:xfngr: :flwr:

Judy the tech was not aware of low platelet counts in cavaliers but my Vet was very well aware of it.

I spoke with the Vet Tech so she informed me that she was shocked at how low they were until my Vet re-assured her this is totally normal in Cavaliers.

I just feel so bad for him, and I am such a emotional person I get upset so easily. I am trying to let all me tear out now as he should be home any minute.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for caring about my baby and me so much.

She said I am to give him Arnica 3 times a day, she would right everything out for Frank.

Will let you know how he is when I see him.

Linda, I'm glad that the surgery is over and I'm sure Darby will be happy to be home. Everything should be just fine. It sounds like they just wanted to make sure the little guy was doing alright before going home. Don't worry yourself too much. All will be well soon. :flwr: Darby might be a little sore and ouchy and may just want to rest or sleep. That is normal after neutering. By tomorrow he will probably be trying to do everything he usually does.
Hang in there Linda, it is not as bad as it seems. He will be back to his old self before you know it, and you can relax a bit. We will be thinking of you. :paw:

He is home, OMG I feel so awful for him he is swollen and I have never seen my baby boy like this before. :(

He is so calm, not moving at all.
Poor Dudley does not know what is going on, he was so happy to see him and he can't figure out what is wrong with him. :? :?

I am going to get a towel and the peas and let him sit on them for 10 minute intervals twice in a hour.

We gave him the Arnica as instructed by the Vet, please keep good thoughts for him.

Frank said this morning he was literally shaking like a leaf this morning.

I hope to see my baby back to himself.

It is so strange to have him not move around.

We've been thinking about Darby today. Glad to hear Darby is at home with you again. I'm sure he will be back to his normal self in a few days. Hang in there. :flwr: Sending you both good thoughts and hugs. :hug:

Best wishes for Darby's recovery... When Holly was spayed she moaned a whimpered the day after, but then the day after that she was romping on the beach. I didn't know you were supposed to keep them quiet :oops: I'm sure Darby will bounce right back so fast you won't know what hit you...

..and what the heck is a onesie?!
*puzzled*

I just read this now and I am so sorry you had to go through a scare like that. You must be emotionally drained! But thank goodness all is well, you both need a nice snuggle and to rest tonight. I'm sure you'll both feel much better in the morning. Your vet sounds really nice and knowledgable - I am hunting for one before Kody arrives. I used the same vet for 12 yrs, but with stories like yours here, I want to be sure I have one that knows cavaliers well. Too bad Thornhill is too far! Take care.

linda...i can just imagine how sad it is to see him being still. :( that was the worst part for me, zack is like the energizer bunny and after the neutering, he went into his crate where he never never goes, and the expression on his face looked to me like he was suffering. it turned out to just be the effect of the anaesthesia and pain shot rather than the pain itself, although i didn't believe that until the meds did suddenly wear off and he looked happy again and wanted to play. you will get through this, soon. but this part is very hard. The thought of having done this to the poor helpless trusting little thing. :( i dont' remember if zack was swollen but i do have a photo of the wound and it looks scary and gross. good thing you have those peas!!! and arnica. :xfngr:
xoxo

Linda (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

I am just now able to get on the boards for today and read everything . First on the swelling ....... thats EXACTLY how Colby was , I kept calling my vet and asking of this was normal and she assured me it was ( I still didnt believe her :lol: .......but I guess it was bc it went down finally and he is normal !) . His sack was PURPLE when we got home and he was in alot of pain for 3 days . They always said a boys neuter was a piece of cake but that was NOT our experience . I have had 4 girls spayed and none of them were swollen and painful like my poor baby boy . You really know how much you love them when your heart hurts bc they hurt .

Darby will be fine in a couple of days , Try not to worry and just enjoy his quietness .........bc he will be spunky again before you know it.

Hope Frank isnt still giving you a hard time .

Call me tomorrow if you want/need to ;)

and give that little rehead soft belly rubs and kisses from me and my gang .

Back