• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My puppy's going a bit bald!

mishmosh

My puppy is going a bit thin on the top of his head, above his eyes and aroud his neck. His skin looks a little dry in these places but he isn't scratching. The skin is not discoloured in any way.

I'm going to take him to the vet this week. I wonder what it is? He's 13 weeks and Ive only noticed it over the past 10 days, but it's getting more noticable.

I would get him to the vets, it may be an allergy or something like mites or fleas, have you spoken to the breeder to see if they know.
Claire

Definitely worth getting him to a vet. Could be one variety of mange:

Demodectic Mange

Demodectic mange is caused by Demodex canis, a tiny mite that cannot be seen without the aid of a microscope. This mange strikes puppies from three to 12 months old.

The demodex mite is commonly present in the pores of puppy skin and usually does not cause symptoms, and it not at all certain what causes them to activate. The mites can produce a substance that lowers the dog's resistance to them and make use of an opportunity to multiply.

It's also possible that some lines of purebred dogs carry lowered resistance to the mites, and that stress can trigger an active infestation. In any case, demodectic mange symptoms include thinning of the hair around the eyes and mouth and on the front legs that evolves into patches of hair loss approximately one inch in diameter. This mange may correct itself within three months or may require treatment.

However, demodectic mange can also begin as a localized infestation and develop into a generalized case with multiple hair-loss sites on the dog's head, legs, and body. This is a far more serious condition and requires veterinary attention. The dog's skin is sore, crusty, and oozing; the hair follicles are clogged with mites and debris. Treatment is extended and requires bathing in medicated shampoo and application of an insecticide to kill the mites.

Sounds like it could be an allergy. Jake had several bald spot on his head as a baby from where he would scratch so bad he'd tear the hair out. Turned out he had a strong reaction to flea bites.

Good old Jake also had demodectic mites. He had a couple of places on his front legs that were bald from chewing. We were given an ointment to put on it and it did clear up.

If it is in circles then it could be ringworm. This sin't a worm by the way but a fungal infection and easily treatable - it is also contagious and can be transmitted from animal to human - make that Vets appointment!

Back