• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grr. Why does he keep barking??!

Pepsi

Hi there,

My boy is going through a phase of barking the neighbourhood down whenever he goes out in the garden! It's driving me (and probably everyone else) slightly mad :x

As some of you will know, he's very old (14) and his MVD and arthritis are not good. But other than the barking he seems quite happy at the moment. Do you think that maybe he's barking cos he's unhappy?? I don't know. He's been barking lots since his medication changed a couple of weeks ago. Can a change in medication make him bark?? But then he seems to be doing better on the medication. I'm very confused h*lp

Thanks,
Pepsi x

Old dogs can go a bit odd. My 15 year-old springer did. She'd always been gentle, though her barking at strangers coming to the house scared them. One day she wabndered up the drive and went into the semi nextdoor-but -one (ie the same layout and kitchen as mine). There she plonked herself down and proceeded to send off the lady of the house. I'm sure she thought she was home.

Yes older dogs do get a little odd at times. This post has reminded me of my childhood dog, a black lab. Cinder was quite old, a little - ok a lot - blind and a little senile, but healthy! One day while attempting to find the front door she walked straight into the evergreen bushes and fell into the window well while i stood with my mouth open. I had to jump in and lift one big over weight dog out!

We always just let her out on the front lawn as in 12 yrs she never left it. but one day i let her out and the phone rang. when i came out she was gone and trust me she moved slower than a turtle so she couldnt have gone far. I walked a little around the corner of the street and there she was sitting at someones door and barking to be let in. I walked up to her and called Cinder? she turned around and sunk her head as if to say oh i'm so embarrassed as we walked home.

She may be heard of hearing and living in a more silent world causes her to bark more as she does not even hear herself. She could also have Canine Cognitive Dysfunction which is similiar in many ways to Alzheimer's. They can wonder aimlessly, bark at nothing, get "caught" in corners and not be able to figure out how to get out, lose their "housebreaking" skills, etc. I had an English COcker Spaniel who had this. There was at least one drug which was somewhat successful in helping some canine patients (at the time my Abby was treated the success rate in providing relief was about 50% only and unfortunately did not work with her). You might want to talk to your Vet about this if you think she has more than one of these symptoms to see if he/she can provide some relief. Best of luck to your sweet girl.

Oh you little sweetheart....these stories of oldies and challenges just moves me. Poor babies....so glad you all love them so much. How many people will dump their older dogs when they no longer want to care for them? That's what kills me. Sweet baby at 14. How beautiful. It's obvious how much they are loved. We should care so much for everyone as they age and face challenges and difficulties.

Thanks very much for your replies. I think his hearing has just about gone, and also his eyesight is not great. So I guess he's living in a pretty insular world at the moment :(

Charlie will also bark at strangers who come in the house sometimes, but they're not usually scared - just amused :)

Your stories about the strange things old dogs do made me smile. Charlie has wandered into the neighbours kitchen once. Very embarrasing icon_blshing

I think the new medication he's on is supposed to help with senility. It's Vivitonin. Anyone come across it? It's supposed to increase blood flow & circulation. It does seem to have perked him up a little. Though we have the barking of course.

Ah well, the neighbours will just have to understand. I can't think of much to do to stop him barking. Hopefully it's just a phase he's going through.

Oh, I've attached a couple of pics I took of him yesterday. Ain't he beautiful :) (many more pics to follow - bought OH a new digital camera for Xmas).

Pepsi x

320352127_f13597adcb_m.jpg
320352126_ecca7cbfaf_m.jpg

he really is beautiful. gorgeous. do you have any photos of younger days? how wonderful that he's made it this far and looking so good. we should all look so good at his age. :lol: seriously, i don't think he looks nearly as old as 14. when i first saw his photo, i thought he was a younger dog. you've done a good job of keeping him trim.

ppotterfield said:
She may be heard of hearing and living in a more silent world causes her to bark more as she does not even hear herself. She could also have Canine Cognitive Dysfunction which is similiar in many ways to Alzheimer's.

I found this info very interesting, it explained my parents lab to a tee! she was almost blind but she was off too. the whole family talks about that dog because those "off" years were some of the best!

Back