• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trimming hair ?

Justine

Should i cut the furry bits,in his paws,and between his toes.If so is it to be done winter and summer ?

I trim the hair from underneath the pad and in Izzy's case round the paws, because his hair is very long, al year round. It helps stop ice balls getting trapped, reduces mud carried and helps get a grip on slippery surfaces, as pads offer more friction than hair. Also, in summer it uncovers the pads through which a dog sweats.

My wesley

I tried tonight with little sharp nail sissors i was shaking so much.Alfie was not impressed i think his toes were tickly.I think i didnt even manage ONE toe.It was hard to do.I will try again.

I do my boys by sitting on the floor with legs apart and dog on his back on the floor, between my legs. Head towards me for front paws, then change round. It's quite comfortable position for them , so spend some time relaxing and stroking, then strike.

Mine love it when they are let go. it's as though they are pleased to feel the ground again.

I do NOT trim Tucker myself. My gosh, I struggle with my own toenails, my eyesight sucks! Thank God for groomers.

I bought some teensy battery operated clippers from Pet Supplies Plus. You have to oil the clippers between clipping each paw. The little bottle of oil is included with the clippers. I just clip hair growing out from between the pads.

At first, the pup will not like the noise of the clippers. Without turning them on, let puppy have a good sniff. You also have to get the puppy used to having his/her feet handled. When you're handling pup's feet, talk baby talk, and give lots of praise, make it sound fun and lighthearted. Then let puppy get used to buzzing sound of clippers without touching the clippers to the pup's feet. Eventually, with praise, baby talk, and lots of treats you'll be able to clip the hair that grows out from between the pads. Just clip it even with the pads.

If using scissors, use the ones with the rounded tips, very carefully.

It may take two people to do this at first. :flwr:

Yes definitely don't use pointed scissors -- easy to have a very bad accident with a squirming dog. Even the rounded ones need to be used cautiously; they are very sharp and it is easy to accidentally catch the pad. The hair trimming round tip scissors you can get at pet shops; they are used fro trimming face hair or feet. Mine are only about 3 inches long.

Easiest is to take the dog to a groomers and tell them you don;t want the dog trimmed AT ALL including the long hair on their feet but just to wash and dry and the one exception, trim out hair between the pads on bottom of feet only, and do nails. You really, really need to clear on this, even writing it down, or they are likely to shave all the hair off their feet and trim the dog, or some of these unwanted things (assuming you want your cavalier to be kept natural). I made a very clear point that I did not want Lily's feet trimmed and they still took all the hair off. :? It is only now beginning to come back in, a month later. It will take months to grow back to its former length, which was frustrating, but the rest of the job they did was very nice as her coat was just such a mess.

I guess I'm lucky. I plop Kosmo onto his back with his feet facing me and cut away - he falls asleep during the whole process! :roll:

I have clippers that I can definitely use. I didn't even think of that. What a great idea.

Speaking of cutting off hair..... You know how the males have the hair that hangs over their pee pee? Could I trim that? Should I even go there? I just don't like picking him up after he's gone potty outside and have wet pee pee hair brush up against my arm and clothes.

Ideas?

You know how the males have the hair that hangs over their pee pee? Could I trim that?

I trim Kingston's. The long hair over that region would get wet and dirty, and I feel like it's more sanitary to have him trimmed.

My Wesley said:
I have clippers that I can definitely use. I didn't even think of that. What a great idea.

Speaking of cutting off hair..... You know how the males have the hair that hangs over their pee pee? Could I trim that? Should I even go there? I just don't like picking him up after he's gone potty outside and have wet pee pee hair brush up against my arm and clothes.

Ideas?

Oh, really!!! It's JUST puppy pee pee :roll: :yikes :sl*p:
Just be careful not to trim the hair off his "actual" pee pee... it directs the stream downward so that it doesn't spray all over. I made that mistake when my Golden was a pup. It makes a BIG mess!!!

Yeah, I'm talking about the hair that hangs off his actual pee pee. So it'll spray if it's trimmed??

My Wesley said:
Yeah, I'm talking about the hair that hangs off his actual pee pee. So it'll spray if it's trimmed??

In my experience......YES :shock:

:yikes maybe it was just my Golden? but, better safe than sorry ;)

I trim the hair on Murphy's pads, I normally have to wait till he's sleepy though his back feet are so tickely :lol:
Poor lamb. His 'pee pee' hair got trimmed when he was in getting the snip, and I probably will do it again when it gets really long :yuk:

TRimming

Never thought of hair clippers.will look into that at the vets.Regarding PeePEE AREA,I WAS having a ciggie. out the back and thinking to myself about trimming that area,but it does make sense to leave it ,as the weewee will flow to the ground.I did have a little chuckle at the peepee comments though. thank jus.

Back