• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

diarrohea

coconut

freddie had diarrohea this morning, so went to the vet have to fast him but my main problem is trying to get him to drink plenty of water! :yikes

can anyone help me on this?? just getting worried that he is not getting enough fluids! :roll:

i'm guessing if he just had diarrhea this morning but doesn't continue to have it, he will not get dehydrated. you can leave his water where he knows it will be.

i've given Zack water using a syringe in the side of his mouth and he seems to enjoy this, he licks it and kind of acts like he's nursing on it. just giving a tiny amount at a time so he doesn't choke. i didn't give it to hydrate him though. i was giving it with colloidal silver (pet formual) in it, and also, i've given him probiotics powder mixed in water in a syringe like that.

but if he doesn't drink for hours, i'd call the vet and ask what they would advise. Once when zack had vomiting, he was given subcutaneous fluids in his neck, he had a bulge of water they injected on his neck which gradually went down as it was absorbed.

he has being drinking little bits every 20 mins or that, but i put my fingers in the water a few mins ago and he took a good big drink so i am happier about that!

No he only had it this morning!

the only thing better than NO diarrhea is just one diarrhea. :sl*p:

i hope you've seen the end of this one....

Sounds like he's coming around well. I'm always relieved when mine are ill and do their wees. I give small ice chips if I don't think they are getting enough fluids.

I have used a large syringe in the past and very slowly give water, I can also measure the intake doing this. Hope he is feeling better :hug:

going to buy a syringe and have it in the house incase he gets it again! i have feed him this morning and he went poo's and they were normal, so lets hope he is better!! :)

Thanks for all the advice!

When we are at shows, we bring our own water for the dogs with us. When we think they may need some water, we just use a plain, old squirt bottle to squirt it in their mouth. They seem to love it!

Just need to be careful with squirting anything into the mouth be it with syringe or water bottle that it is done carefully and slowly to avoid aspiration. ;)

thanks for the advice all, well he is defo back to himself today, at the moment he is on the sofa trying to fight h2b!! :lol:

Back