Thread: Agilities ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agilities ??

Anybody would recommend agility for Cavaliers?? I know that our precious babies are easy to train, but on the other hand, they get distracted really easy too .. and by the way , are people doing it for the sake of money ? ( if there is any money rewards........ ) or more for health and fun reason ?
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Post Thanks / Like

There is no money to be made in show obedience or agility. A piece of card, rosette or less often a small trophy are the only rewards. It's done for pleasure (hopefuly both dog's and handler's) and is hard, but fullfilling work. My former trainer sts out at 5am or sleeps in a tent working in often muddy fields through pouring rain.

Two of mine, Izzy and Joly, love obedience work and would jhave liked agility, but I'm the sticking point, there.

Many cavaliers do and enjoy agility, but it's not recommended until the dog is 12 months old (later for larger breeds) because it can damage growing tissue.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

We do agility and is in fact one of the reasons I got my second dog and in particular a Cavalier as my lab is getting ready to retire from agility..My little guy loves it..there is certainly no money to be made from agility..just a lot of money spent on it for classes and trials..LOL
    Debbie, Riley and Robbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They can begin learning fundamentals before age 1, as long as they are not jumping. So you can lay the poles on the ground and let them step over, rather than jump. They can learn the tunnel, low dog walk, etc. and handling signals at a young age, too.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your response! I just bought an agility starter kit! Cherrise really loves it , i think she loves the part where she gets treats the best.. but anyhow, tried some small jumping, and a tall one at the end, and she's realllllyyy good at it! I know can't do too much jumping yet :S but i really see that she can be good at this .. funny part, when she thinks the pole is too high for her, she'll use her hands to strike it down, and then she'll jump ! smartie.
    she already recognise hand signals and all that. Can't wait to join agility classes!
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find cavaliers really easy to train! All mine do a little agility and all of them love it. Jaspar is really good at it and could likely compete well -- much better than I am at doing it with him. Keep jumps tiny for a puppy; no more than a couple of inches off the ground. Jumping can damage ligaments and bones when they are younger than a year.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gabbrielle did Agility for a few months and was brilliant at it, it was her mum that got lazy and gave up!

All of them have done the basic agility needed to compete in flyball, and all but Lilly (who couldnt be bothered) compete in flyball weekly.

Kyla