• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Agilities ??

babyC

Anybody would recommend agility for Cavaliers?? I know that our precious babies are easy to train, but on the other hand, they get distracted really easy too .. :roll: and by the way , are people doing it for the sake of money ? ( if there is any money rewards........ :? ) or more for health and fun reason ? :)

There is no money to be made in show obedience or agility. A piece of card, rosette or less often a small trophy are the only rewards. It's done for pleasure (hopefuly both dog's and handler's) and is hard, but fullfilling work. My former trainer sts out at 5am or sleeps in a tent working in often muddy fields through pouring rain.

Two of mine, Izzy and Joly, love obedience work and would jhave liked agility, but I'm the sticking point, there.

Many cavaliers do and enjoy agility, but it's not recommended until the dog is 12 months old (later for larger breeds) because it can damage growing tissue.

We do agility and is in fact one of the reasons I got my second dog and in particular a Cavalier as my lab is getting ready to retire from agility..My little guy loves it..there is certainly no money to be made from agility..just a lot of money spent on it for classes and trials..LOL

They can begin learning fundamentals before age 1, as long as they are not jumping. So you can lay the poles on the ground and let them step over, rather than jump. They can learn the tunnel, low dog walk, etc. and handling signals at a young age, too.

Thank you for all your response! I just bought an agility starter kit! icon_whistling Cherrise really loves it , i think she loves the part where she gets treats the best.. :sl*p: but anyhow, tried some small jumping, and a tall one at the end, and she's realllllyyy good at it! I know can't do too much jumping yet :S but i really see that she can be good at this .. funny part, when she thinks the pole is too high for her, she'll use her hands to strike it down, and then she'll jump ! :sl*p: smartie. :x
she already recognise hand signals and all that. Can't wait to join agility classes! :rah:

I find cavaliers really easy to train! All mine do a little agility and all of them love it. Jaspar is really good at it and could likely compete well -- much better than I am at doing it with him. :roll: Keep jumps tiny for a puppy; no more than a couple of inches off the ground. Jumping can damage ligaments and bones when they are younger than a year. (y)

Gabbrielle did Agility for a few months and was brilliant at it, it was her mum that got lazy and gave up!

All of them have done the basic agility needed to compete in flyball, and all but Lilly (who couldnt be bothered) compete in flyball weekly.

Kyla

Back