• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What should I do?

I think you are making the right decision about Kingston. The country vet must do tons of these types of surgeries. And price does not by any means equal the best vet. My sister lives in NYC and pays $85 to walk in the door at a vet there - for me, it's more like $50, and I have a better vet. She can't leave for under $300. I can go in and get a couple of tests done and medicines for under $100 (and have done ... several times!). And the only difference is that she's in NYC and I'm a couple miles across the river in NJ. My vet practice is GREAT. Not all NJ vets are, I know that too, but there is no reason to feel you need to pay extra just to have it done in the city.

The overnight stay might be hard that night ... but you might be greatful the next day that you don't have to see him all groggy from the surgery. The'll get to watch over him carefully at the vets and then you'll see him the next day when he's a lot closer to his old self with tons of energy. :)

My vet wants to charge me $200 to get Jeremy desexed. And they do the dogs in the pounds here. The cost of the dog from a pound is cheaper than getting my boy desexed. I am not going to use them. Instead I am going to the RSPCA when I go to my mums, about 3.5 hrs drive away, and get him done for $90. I have used them before so I know they are good. I reckon its best to find a good vet through word of mouth. And I certainly dont think that its a bad thing to look for cheaper options. And the quality of care is generally no different in a country vet to a city one. I much prefer country vets personally.

All ours were about six months of age - and cost about 210.00 for the operation but we paid an extra 57.00 pounds for a drip that put antibiotics and pain killers in as he was being operated - no blood test They went in in the morning out at 4.30 that day and disolving stitch inside and a cross stitch outside - we went back I think four days later to have it checked and the stitch removed.

My boys had the dissolving stitches on the inside, and glue on the outside. I was great because we never had to go back to get the stitches remoived, and there is absolutely no scar.

Kosmo had the glue as well but we did go back a week later to get his stitches out for the hernia. If they have to go and find Kingston's other testicle I wonder if they will use regular stitches to stitch it back up? Even if that's the case I was glad that we got to go back a week later because the vet confirmed to me that he was healing wonderfully. :)

And I applaud you for being able to put up with Kingston's hormones for this long! cl*p

Bainfeild

I purchased a "puppy plan" from Banfeild, a chain of vets all in PetSmart stores. $100 to join, $21 monthly and it includes all of Isabelle's shots, vet visits, fecals, and her hysterectomy. We also get discounts on anything else vet related we could ever need. Do they have Bainfeild in Texas?

Sorry...I didn't mean to come off so harsh. I just wanted to make sure you don't skimp too much. But everyone is correct when they say different vets can charge radically different prices.

Again, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you and I know you only want what's best for Kingston!

Not that this is the same topic, but it reminds me of something. I do not carry medical insurance for myself. I'm a contractor and each and every plan I've investigated comes with such a high yearly deductible and unbelievable high premiums that I opt to pay out of pocket for my medical expenses. I usually go to what are called "Walk-In" Clinics. However, when I do have to go to a hospital for something, I pay MORE for EACH service than someone covered under an insurance plan. The explanation I received when I questioned this practice was "We have negotiated rates with insurance companies." Can you beat that? Even if I pay with a credit card, no chasing around for their money, I pay more for an x-ray than I would were I covered under an insurance plan.

Apparently both human and animal health care is in disarray in the USA.

I purchased a "puppy plan" from Banfeild, a chain of vets all in PetSmart stores. $100 to join, $21 monthly and it includes all of Isabelle's shots, vet visits, fecals, and her hysterectomy. We also get discounts on anything else vet related we could ever need. Do they have Bainfeild in Texas?

I've actually used Banfield before. But I guess the puppy plan wouldn't help too much now since Kingston's had all his shots... I wish I had done that to begin with!

Back