• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lump found by Vet

Hi all,

Yesterday I woke Roxy up at 7, She was lethargic and didn't want her breakfast at all. Luckily my fiancée was off work. I later got a call in the afternoon to say that she had been sick. Not food sick but green bile type sick. I said we would take her to the vets as soon as I finished work. She was sick a further 4 times after that. My partner ended up taking her too the vets with her father before I finished work. They found a lump in her intestines; it wasn't a fixed lump, as the vet could move it about. Looks like she may have swallowed something when we haven't being looking, the only other thing that I can think of is the profleece vet bedding that she is always chewing on. Maybe it has built up. I have now removed this just in case. Anyway we were told not too feed her last night and just make sure she drinks plenty. Last night I made her some boiled chicken, Pasta and green beans, carrots and broccoli and gave her a little this morning with her anti-inflammatory tablets.

I do hope she is ok; in fact I am sure she will be ok.

On a positive note, I went too the puppy class last night (by myself) and picked up her Kennel Club Good citizen foundation certificate and rosette. She also got the award for knowing the most cues...yay Roxy.

She knows:
Sit, Down, Come, Roll over, Leave, Take it, Heel, Wait(stand), Left Paw, Right Paw

Oh poor thing; hope she is better.

Many treats can cause a problem like this -- rawhides for example. So can swallowing fabric like socks or stuffed toys, elastic bands or other objects. Vet bedding is unlikely as it is designed not to cause any problems.

Keep a close eye on her -- if the impaction doesn't move along they can become life threatening very quickly. Just watch to make sure she starts pooping normally and isn't acting ill.

See: http://www.sidyboysfoolin.com/Health/BowelObstruction.html

Do please keep a close check on this. A friend, on another forum, lost a three-year-old cavalier,because she swallowed a piece of husk from corn on the cob. This was even more tragic as the lady's family did not eat this vegetable, so it must have been thrown over their gate by a passer-by.

Hope was sick first thing, was taken to the vet at lunchtime and was dead by the evening. The vet could do nothing as the blockage would have (unlnown to them, of course) been there for a few days and the damage done.

We will be keeping a very close eye on her, she ate her lunch and had a nice firm poo at lunchtime, which i think is a good sign.

Thanks for your concern.

Michael.

Back