• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

home made dog biccies

Today I bought some new xmas themed cookie cutters so I decided to make the doggles some biccies!

This is a FANTASTIC recipe and most people will have all the stuff they need without going to the store!

2 cups of plain flour
4 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cups of shreded cheese (I use Gruyere for the stronger flavour, but romano, parmesan or cheddar would be fine, or a mix!)
1/2 cup of shredded parsley or basil or both
4 tablespoons of water

just mix everything together minus the water. Then, use the water to help it form into a dough. Best to take smaller balls of the dough at a time and roll it out then trying to do the whole thing at once.

Bake at 400f for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once at 5 minutes. Let them dry out on a wire rack, or turn the oven off and leave em in.

The dogs go crazy over them!!!

322871805_dc352f5ff9_m.jpg

Heres Mia giving her stamp of approval!

Kyla

Sounds great! How do you store them? In fridge or container?
How long do they last?

Hi Gillian

They apparently store really well just in an airtight tupperware type container. Due to the heat over here though, I do put mine in the fridge also.

I should also note that this recipee does make quite a few, so you could always half it if you were concerned about them staying fresh etc

Give it a go though, the smell of them cooking in the house is fantastic!!

Kyla

I'm planning to make some home biccies this weekend in Christmas shapes - I think the recipe I got from my breeder is very similar to yours! I'm planning on sending some to my sister's dog from Willow, and keeping some for Willow herself - it'll be my first time making doggie biccies - I'm actually excited to see how they turn out!

Krista

Thank you so much for this recipe. It is easy. Sounds nutritious too. Can I use the jars of minced garlic they sell in the store, or do you mince your garlic fresh from the clove?

Main reason I like this recipe so much is its easy, and there are no fancy ingredients you need to make special trips to the shops to buy. I make all my own biccies, but this one is a favourite amongst the kids (infact Boyfriend has commented he quite likes them too, but could add a little salt)

Nutritionally, there isnt anything in them thats unsuitable for a 10 week old pup, however id deffinately only make a half batch of them as I dont think id be keen on feeding more then 1 or 2 a day to a bub and they may go stale if you have too many.

Id be more inclined to make a medium sized biccie for the wee one and supervise her/him eating it. Im always warry of making things smaller for puppies incase the inhale/choke on small bits. I prefer a normal sized biccie they can 'gum' on, and if needs be, I can always break it up into smaller bits. Thats just me though :)

The minced jar garlic is DEFFINATELY a good idea. I wish Id have thought of it at the time lol I can still smell garlic on my hands from trying to mush it with a fork!

Enjoy cooking them everyone, the house will smell like an italian kitchen!!!

Kyla

Stupid Question Queen at it again...

Does the garlic in them make the dog's breath stink???

I know when I cut garlic for me and it gets on my skin, I was like mad but the smell lasts for at least 2 days! :yikes

Never a silly question, its actually quite a valid one!

Funnily enough, the garlic actually works in reverse and helps freshen the breath, much the same as parsley does.

Your more likely to smell nothing on their breath then garlic though, it just helps eliminate the bad odours.

That said, it should only be used in small quantities as it is a member of the onion family. However, its also a natural alternative to heart worm tablets.

Naturopathy in Australia for dogs is very populare, and many people choose to give garlic capsules to their dogs instead of conventional heart worm medication. Im not a believer though to that extent, and continue with my heart worm meds monthly and use the garlic in their food when it can be cooked, or raw in small amounts only.

Kyla

GARLIC WARNING: Many of the lists of 'toxic foods and plants for dogs' have not been updated to include garlic, grapes, raisins, xylitol, etc., which were not known to be toxic even 2 years ago.

However, recently various dog magazines have been listing garlic as a toxic food for dogs. Evidently garlic contains the same substance as onions that can give dogs hemolytic anemia :yikes , leading in some cases to death.

I would modify the recipe to exclude the garlic altogether, or possibly just use a tiny amount for flavor.

Oh, that's a cute idea for doggie gifts :) I love the new avatar, Charleen! I figured out how you got all four pups to sit so nice ;) :lol:

Cathy - I only had 2 Christmas collars. At the time I bought them, I thought they would be too big for Merry & Jolly, but I was wrong. But yes, it was much easier to get the pictures with only talking to 2 at a time. :lol: Jolly isn't used to my picture taking sessions yet and he did have a tendency to drift away, while I was waiting for my old digital camera to refresh itself.

:lol: We think alike! As soon as I figured out how you took the photo(s), I then wondered if you had used the same 2 collars in both! :lol:
My 3 pups share 2 raincoats and one winter coat!

Kyla,

My Mom just made this recipe. It turned out great. These biscuits can be made anytime of the year.

I am driving to Toronto on Saturday to meet up with a group of Cavalier lovers (Sara, Linda, Debbie, Ansley, Zippy & many more) and I wanted to bring homemade dog treats and I had saved your recipe. I am not a baker, so Mom was kind enough to make it up for me today. We tried it on my 4 cavaliers and they love it.

Thanks! :luv:

Last edited:
I just baked two trays of these tonight, in tiny bone and paw print shapes, my dogs love them! thanks for the recipie. :p

Back