• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier popularity where YOU live

CavalierLover said:
[I also saw Law and Order: SVU with a blenheim--Munch was holding it and kissing it].

i've seen that episode twice, about the guy who kills his wife. The cavalier is in several scenes in the beginning! thank goodness for DVR, i was able to rewind and replay several times and pause--that was a really cute cavalier, and so happy and friendly to be there with the people, even if he did just discover his mummy murdered :yikes

i'm in Los Angeles and i have encountered about two other people on Cavaliertalk from this area. I never knew about cavaliers before my daughter got a blenheim last year. She said that when she was a little kid and had this book of dogs with pictures of all the breeds in it, that was the one she wanted, based on the picture and description in the book.

i wanted to get one like hers, Blenheim, and so then i saw some cavaliers while i was looking for one, of course, at the home of the lady i got zack from, she had all blenheims when i first visited. I visited many times and she always had blenheims. Then one day she had zack, a tri, and i waited a couple more weeks to decide and then got him instead. I also saw three blenheims at another breeder's home.

After that, i have seen very few in this highly populated area with many dogs (so many labs and goldens). I have never seen a cavalier at the dog park. I've never seen one on the street or in a pet supply store. I did see a tri at one of my vets, and i saw the only B&T Ive ever seen at my other vet. I have never met a ruby yet. :(

The other day, i saw a woman with three small dogs at a very crowded outdoor mall. i had zack with me. I fought my way through a wall of people to get to her and asked if they were cavaliers. Two were cavalier mixes and one was a pomeranian mix, all rescues.

I have slowed down and stopped my car whenever i think i see a cavalier.

i never get to see any but it's exciting just to have someone walk up and say "that's a cavalier king charles spaniel, isn't it?" Just that they know, is nice. When i get asked what breed he is, by the time i get to the word 'spaniel,' i have lost a lot of people, their attention span doesn't last that long. Like they were hoping for a name they could remember. I think it's surprising i dont see more cavaliers around town. As far as small dogs go, i see a lot of chihuahuas, a lot of yorkies, a lot of lhasa, jack russells. How can people not have cavaliers????? i don't understand it. Why aren't they overrunning the planet, they are so wonderful?? but come to think of it, when i was looking to buy one, they weren't that easy to find.

Thank God we all know we're not alone in our obsession with cavaliers. Though I must tell you all that you and your beautiful cavs have only contributed to my ever growing obsession!

There seem to be quite a few Blenheims around our neighbourhood.
At least half a dozen...which is a LOT.

Many people thought Charley (tri) was some version of a Cocker!! lol

Since Mary Alice (Blenheim) joined us, both my daughter and I have noticed that cars slow down to look at her.

She is quite petite, very pretty and quite a deep chestnut colour.

I think it's the lovely feathered tail, held high, that makes them check her out! :lol:

Im in NYC. Had a friend growing up who had King Charles Spaniels, then became friendly with a girl in my bldg who had a cav- beautiful ruby boy who was the sweetest most darling lil guy.
I knew from then on if i'd ever get a dog this was the breed for me.
There are actually a number of people just in my area alone with Cav's. I belong to a meet up group in the city and there are 35 members!! We try to meet once a month indoors or out so all the lovely cavs can play. Its very fun.At our meetups blenheims are the most popular- last time Ginger was the only Tri (and not much of a tri at that, only having 1 brown eyebrow! Makes her perfect!) There were about 2 or 3 rubys and same for the black & tans.
At ginger's day care there are about 4 or 5 cavaliers that are members! I do get the ? a lot, what kind of dog is that? And when i begin my rant....they are totally lost! But I always say how amazing they are. Ive noticed more and more seeing them in dog catalogs and on the internet for dog websites. Even in the AKC Puppy Manual there are a few pictures of them.

The 1st Cavi I ever saw was my sisters, he was a Blenheim. You don't see all that many around here, when you do they are Blenheims or Tri's.
The 1st ruby I have seen in person was Cecily's Tandie on Saturday :D

I'm from near Brussels, in Belgium. I don't know how they're spread among the whole country but I see them frequently, let's say 20% of the dogs in my neighbourhood. Some near neighbours had two but they've had them since 10 years now and said I would have difficulties trying to find one when I was looking for a pup. I askes around but they seem pretty present in Flanders, more then in Wallony. I paid 500 € for Sam. I had offers from 350 to 750 €. The most I see are tri or blenheim. Ruby are really rare but less then B&T.

Do you think that Sex in the City has anything to do with the large population of Cavs because it was filmed in the City, or because NYC has such a large population of people?

judy said:
i've seen that episode twice, about the guy who kills his wife. The cavalier is in several scenes in the beginning! thank goodness for DVR, i was able to rewind and replay several times and pause--that was a really cute cavalier, and so happy and friendly to be there with the people, even if he did just discover his mummy murdered :yikes

OMG that brings back memories for me Judy :yikes A few years back, a lady not far from where I live was murdered by her ex-husband and her Cavalier was found right next to her body, lying snuggled up to her :(

The lady's family then took the dog to the Vet to be PTS and the Vet did it :yikes :yikes :yikes The first that I knew of it was when I saw it in the newspaper. If that dog had been taken to my Vet then it would never have been PTS but would have been fostered or given a home by either my Vet, me or one of the Vet nurses. It still upsets me now to think of a perfectly healthy young Cav being PTS because the family didn't want it :(

donna, that is so sad. i can imagine how frustrated you must've felt, to know that if only the right people, such as you, had been contacted, the dog would've gone on to live its life that it was born to live. man's inhumanity to dog. :x it's so callous, the way dogs are pts for reasons like that, dogs that could have homes. Those that will never have homes, that's bad enough, but those for who homes could be found is even worse if that's possible.

and i've heard of people who insist on putting their dogs to death even when homes are offered and because dogs are legally considered property, they can get away with it. Recently one of our forum members reported a story of a vicious ex husband doing it, apparently for spite.

Recently there have been some court cases and legislative initiatives here which involve defining pets not as property but as family members. There would be a lot of ramifications of that. I think one of the things that triggered the initiatives was Hurricane Katrina, and the way some people would not leave their pets with the result that they either died or rescuers had more to deal with.

Perhaps in the long run, this could lead to limits on practices like putting healthy animals to death, just as it would not be permitted to put one's child to death for the kinds of reasons that dogs are killed for. But i doubt that kind of humaneness is in the near future. There would have to be a very different allocation of material resources in societies for that to be possible probably. Thank goodness for the efforts of animal recue people now who are able to make it possible for some animals to enjoy longer happy lives of love that they would otherwise not have.

Pacific Northwest

I live in Seattle and have noticed quite a few Cavalier's in the area. I would definitely say that the majority of people I have spoken with are not familiar with the breed. However, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who do know about Cavaliers. It has been a wonderful experience being a part of the Cavalier family. Meaning that when I am out with Indy and we run into other Cav owners they always come up and want to swap stories and make a fuss over her ... and of course we are the same. It really is awesome that Cavalier owners seem to unite in a way that I have never seen with other breeds. There are always ads in the major newspaper here selling Cavaliers but sadly I have noticed that most of them are not to put it kindly ideal breeders. But through a legitimate breeder you are going to pay upwards of $1000. We chose to go through a breeder in Ireland and spent $1500 and she was well worth every penny! Of course we've already spent more than three times that spoiling her since we got her!

Where I live (which is the same town as Maxxs_Mum AKA Donna), I know of quite a few. In our family we have 3 Toby, Taffy and Archie, my aunt walks Taffy and meets up with Poppy who is another Cavvy, then there is Donna's 2. I also know of one from Cheltenham way (which is about 20 miles from here).

I hope no one minds if I bring back this old thread. My experiences with Christmas shopping really made this hit home.

First, I had never seen a Cav in person until I bought my Toby. I hope that I am not repeating a story I have told before, but here goes.

About 10-11 years ago my daughter and I were traveling down a rural road in Oregon and saw a beautifully painted sign that said, "Cavalier King Charles Spaniels for Sale." The sign had beautiful paintings of the dogs.

I made a big U turn and went back to the driveway, which was gated. I can't remember for sure, but there was either some kind of bell to ring or a sign saying to honk. The lady came out to the gate and I told her that I would like to see the dogs. I had never seen one or even heard of them but the painting was so terrific, and I am such a dog lover, I just wanted to see what they looked like.

I'm pretty sure that we didn't look like riff-raff, but the lady took one look at us, in my 3 year old vehicle, and us in our hiking clothes, and said, "These dogs cost $2000.00 and up, so unless you are ready to buy one, ........(essentially, I'm not wasting my time showing them to you.)"
And she didn't, she walked away from the gate and left us standing there.

In the next ten years, I still never saw a Cav. Not on TV, didn't watch SITC, not anywhere, but I couldn't get them out of my mind.

So blah blah blah, I got Toby. He was absolutely meant to be my dog. First, he was priced in a range I could afford because of his underbite and his age, 7 months when I got him. Second, several people had come to see him and he would have nothing to do with them. From the moment I walked into his yard, he has in my lap, following me, and cried at the gate when I left that first day. His owners said that he had never reacted to anyone like that, and I don't doubt it at all. I knew the moment I held him, he was my dog.

During Christmas shopping time, I went to Petsmart without him and saw a lady who had a Cav in her cart. Of course, friendly little me just marches right up to her and says, "Oh you have a Cavalier, I have one too." She totally ignored me! How rude!

Now for some good news, that was the only time I haven't had Toby with me at Petsmart, and everytime, even the employees make a big fuss over him. The last time I took him, on Christmas Eve Day, he had this adorable Christmas collar with candy canes dangling from it, he looked so cute.

A woman came up to me and asked, "Is that a King Charles Cavalier, I've never seen one in person before!" And I said yes, he is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She was just gushing about not ever seeing one before except on tv and in pictures and how beautiful he is. I told her that I hadn't ever seen one in person either, until I got Toby. I was actually nice to her and let her pet him and play with him.

I have lived in California for about 40 years, and have lived in Newport Beach, Orange County, Glendale, Central Coast, and now in the Sierras. And have only now seen 2 Cavaliers, mine and the rude lady's.

My experience is that "Pet Quality", cannot be bred or shown, females are 2000 and males about 1500 to 1700.

I want another so badly, and I would love to rescue one of these remarkable babies. I have a real gift with dogs, despite my other thread where I was impatinet with my Toby's obscession with me. But I have never seen any rescues in California.

Keep me in mind if you do hear of any resuces in CA, OR, NV, or maybe even AZ. I will drive hundreds of miles to save a Cavalier.

Thanks for listening to this long post. In summary, I can only say that these wonderful doggies are so rare that to find one is a miracle.

goldcountryrose said:
....I have never seen any rescues in California.

Keep me in mind if you do hear of any resuces in CA, OR, NV, or maybe even AZ. I will drive hundreds of miles to save a Cavalier.

Thanks for listening to this long post. In summary, I can only say that these wonderful doggies are so rare that to find one is a miracle.

I just posted contact info on cavalier needing a home, he is fostered in Santa Barbara, the agency is in West LA. I don't know if they still have him, the email came about a week ago, maybe they are still screening people.

i never saw a cavalier in SoCal until my daughter got one last year, and since then, i still have never met one in person except when i was looking for one of my own and i met other puppies at the place where i got zack, and at one other breeder i met two. But since then, i haven't met any, except, i did see two at the vet, each at different vets. And i met a woman at a mall (The Grove in LA) who had two rescued cavalier mixes with her. They sure aren't common here, but i meet people who know what kind of breed they are.

We have six in just two roads all blenheim and Tri. This year we went to Great Yarmouth for a few days by the coast and one afternoon in town we met six cavaliers all with different owners walking down one main street. In the end we were all standing chatting at once. Cavalier owners are all such nice friendly people and will always come over to talk.

there is a good few around my area, but my friends ma rescued a lovely girl and i fell in love with her wanted a cav ever since, as they are beautiful well manned dogs!! :flwr:

We have only seen a few in our area. My next door neighbor has a blenheim. When we got new neighbors on the other side this summer, my husband and I said to the wife that we hoped they were dog people as we had 4 dogs. And she said that her mother had a blenheim too and she visits often! How weird is it that 3 houses in a row are 6 cavaliers.

When we go to the dog park, people comment on our blen and tri as cavaliers and then ask what kind of dogs are the other 2? Most seem to never have seen or heard of rubies and B/Ts.

In the NYC/NJ area, the going rate seems to be $2500-3000 these days for a pet quality pup.

I've met three others

I've run into three others in Williamsburg, VA by accident- all tris whearas my Isabelle is a Blendheim (sp?)

When we first brought her home we took her to a vet recommended by my coworker- they wrote on her records that she was "tan and white" in color and I found a new vet

Back