Thread: questions about Lucky Star cav rescue

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions about Lucky Star cav rescue

...............following on from my thread about how much Cavs are worth in varying parts of the world, a thought dawned on me.

I understand that Lucky Star quite often buys the cavs out of ausctions and mills etc to save them, rather then receive them as surrenders. If this is the case, and given the mamoth prices of cavaliers in the states, how on earth do they afford to buy breeding age bitches from Austions if they are in excess of $1000 american each???

My jaw is still resting on the floor in regards to how much they cost over there, WOW!

Id love to know a bit about Lucky Star, with my own Cav rescue Im always interested in hearing about other groups.

Ta all

Kyla

Mic Guest

I don't think that LS usually pays that much for a cav at auction. Pups may go for higher, but LS tries to get older dogs to prevent them getting in the hands of another breeder/mill. That's what I was told.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Auction dogs go for a lot less than what people pay even for backyard bred dogs via the internet or in small ads. Remember this is basically the 'wholesale' price for dogs if you will.

I know many people who buy Irish imports in the US are not aware that though they may pay just under what a good breeder charges for their health-focused litters -- usually only a few hundred less, if that, but people see this as a 'bargain' -- the dogs when bought directly from puppy farms or from backyard breeders here in bulk, are little more then $50-100 each. So the markup is in many cases 1500-2000% pocketed by the folks who are telling you their brother, father, mother, uncle, cousin "breeds champion dogs in Ireland and can import them at much lower cost directly to you."

Well, I will tell you what these 'champion dog breeders' are like.

I got a call two days ago about a puppy with eye problems at a vets -- left in by one of these 'family member breeders' -- which might need rehoming (it doesn't, the vets have founbd a home).

The 'breeder' has 90 cavalier bitches producing puppies that are sold to brokers in the US and other places who sell them to you as their relative's champion bred dogs. Even on the usual disgusting puppy farm scale of things, I was gobsmacked.

These are also the d ogs that get bought and bred from by the millers in the US and are being sold at these auctions. So you can see if someone originally had a direct link to get them from Ireland, they dogs would only have cost a pittance of what is being asked at auction.

All this said: Lucky Star asks if I recall about $800 for homing a dog. This recuperates some of their costs but nothing ike what it takes to sort these dogs out after they are paid for at auctions, in many cases. So donations remain important to them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

To add a bit to what Karlin said, LS often purchases the dogs that need major medical attention. In the group I am working with, we had puppies and youngish dogs that had need of patella surgery; one had a bad eye, another a severe hernia - issues that made them undesirable. Fortunately, the vet clinic does surgery for a discounted rate yet the costs are still somewhat staggering. After vetting and spay/neutering, I would guess that an average "investment" in these little guys is around $1500-1800 each. So as Karlin stated, donations are very important.

I'm taking Ella to the clinic tonight so she can have both her hind legs repaired. Please say a prayer for the little gal, she's going to have quite a lengthy recovery but hopefully will be fine and running like a "real" dog very soon. She is such a love!

JaneB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jane. Please let us know how Ella's surgery went and how she's getting along in her recovery. We're sending prayers and puppy hugs her way!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

What a roller coaster ride! Ella's surgery has been postponed until Friday morning. I'll take her to the clinic on Thursday evening then they will do surgery first thing on Friday. She will be coming home that night - seems awfully soon but I guess that's how it is done. She'll be unable to walk for the first five days as they will be fixing both her back legs. I can only imagine how nutzy the girls will be since they won't be able to even see her as we will confine her in the spare bedroom in her crate. That's the only way I can come up with to keep her quiet and "unexcited." If anyone has suggestions on how to care for her I would welcome the info. I don't have any experince with this type of situation. I pray the vets can give me some good advise but would appreciate any help any of you have to offer. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers. Keep them coming, we will certainly need them.
    JaneB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jane, you might want to write down a list of all your questions to ask the vet. I actually wrote a list and called him on the phone 1 week before surgery.

Do you want to start a new thread for her in the Health and Diet forum? People will be more likely to come up with lots of post surgery ideas over there.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)