• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

loose poop

Kingofthehouse86

Well King's got a little of an upset stomach...been very loose last not and 2day...plus a maltese pup I'm watching got loose poop. So tonit they both got boiled chicken and rice... They loved it, so hopefully by tomorrow their poop will firm up, if it persists King might need to see the vet to make sure he's just got the runs nuttin else.... (but I don't think it's anything just some loose poop)

Well I'll keep everyone posted on King's poops....lol

lol ... I hope his poop improves. Does he have colitis or has he had issues with chronic loose poop?

Loose poop is usually treated by starving, except for water, for 24 hours, followed by cooked chicken or white fish with rice. The light diet should be continued for a few days after the symptoms go away.

Oh poor King! Usually doesn't last more than a day or two, so hopefully he will be back to his usual self tomorrow.

Oh, poor King! Nobody likes loose poopies! ;)

Try giving him a bland diet (i.e. cottage cheese & rice, or what Barbara recommended) for a couple of days. A little canned pumpkin (the straight pumpkin, NOT the pie filling one with the spices added) will also help to firm up those poos! :flwr:

Hope he feels better soon!

Well hasn't gotten better...plus I noticed a little mucus in his poop, he's loving the chicken and rice diet... but I don't think it helping...if he doesn't improve bye tues I'm going to make an appt with my vet to see what he thinks...hope it's nuttin more then a lil upset stomach.

Hoping for the best....

Canned pumpkin works like a charm for my two cavs. You may want to give it a try before going to the vet. Good luck and hope he's feeling better soon.

Aaron, if there's mucus in the poop then it could be Colitis :( That's exactly what Maxx gets like when he has it. Do you think that the puppy might have stressed him in any way? If not, anything else could have upset him? Maxx only has to get a little bit upset and that's it - Colitis :roll:

I think the usual treatment if it is Colitis is, Cimetidine for a few days and possibly some antibiotics if there is a lot of tenderness around the tummy & also, I'm afraid to say, starvation for 24 hours then bland food for a few days :?

Another thought, King hasn't had Turkey meat to eat has he? That always brings on Colitis in Maxx :(

It could of course be something else entirely. Just sounds like Colitis to me as I've had seven years of it with my little man :roll:

Hope he soon feels much better {{{{{{{{King}}}}}}}} and get well licks from my boys.

I'm not trying a diagnosis, here. I'm asking for pure knowledge's sake.

Is it possible that King could have caught something from the puppy, since they both had loose stools?

It's possible King could have gotten something from the pup....Well I gave the pumkin last night...but this morning still the same, even saw a drop of blood in the stool...so that freaked me out, so I made an appt with my vet. He put King on Tylan powder to help firm up the stool...and my boss felt kinda responsible for this, and afford to pay for it.

My vet said the test should come back in a couple hours and they'll give me a call... If it's something then King's gonna need a different antibiotic...but cross ur fingers it's nuttin more then a upset stomach

I hope your furbaby feels better soon and you find out what's making him poorly. Also sorry a little off this thread, if a puppy has loose poo is it ok to starve for 24 hrs and just give water or should you always go straight to the vets?

Poor King. I hope he's feeling better soon, give him a big hug from me :hug:
I'll keep my fingers crossed :xfngr:

Kingofthehouse86 said:
...but this morning still the same, even saw a drop of blood in the stool...

{{{{Aaron}}}} hugs for you and King. That is so worrying for you but let's hope it was just caused by him straining (yeah, they can strain even with loose poops :?). Hope it's nothing more serious than an upset tummy but will be sending positive thoughts and cyber hugs for the little man :hug:

I am thinking of you too. Lucky has colitis and it acts up from time to time ... I know how worrisome it can be. Hope he feels better soon. :flwr:

Kingofthehouse86 said:
It's possible King could have gotten something from the pup....and my boss felt kinda responsible for this, and afford to pay for it.

Is the puppy feeling better? Did it get vet treatment, too? If King is suffering, a puppy could be even more stressed!

Good ol' King. I'm sure he'll be fine. He's such a trooper, and I'm sure he considers it all part of his services to help those visiting puppies!!

hey aaron--could king have gotten worms or parasities from the puppy?
zack had bloody diarrhea off and on for a month when he was 4 months old, my experience of a lot of meds was that tylan was the best, and tylan was a good anti-diarrheal which eases inflamation in the bowel, could take a coupld of days to work. Didn't you use it before? Flagyl does the same thing, independent of their antibiotic properties, which may or may not work, depending on if there's a susceptable organism. I've read that people on these boards, sometimes give something like kaopectate, kaolin?
Belle was given that by her vet when she had bad diarrhea not long ago. It worked very fast.

i hope something helps and he gets over it.

if your vet prescribes salicylamide, discuss the common side effect of damage to tear production with them. it can be short term, longer term or permanent, but usually is short term. But cavaliers seem to be prone to tear issues already so if it's ever prescribed for zack again (as it was for colitis) i would ask about alternative medications, since zack did have the side effect. the vet immediately reduced the dosage when she saw that he was having eye symptoms from it. his tears have been worse ever since, although i don't don't know if this would've happened anyway. When i first got him, i was happy that he didn't have big tear stains like belle had, but since the salicylamide he has them but they come and go and it may be unrelated, who knows.

i hope King's better by now, how worrisome. good luck!

hey aaron--could king have gotten worms or parasities from the puppy?
zack had bloody diarrhea off and on for a month when he was 4 months old, my experience of a lot of meds was that tylan was the best, and tylan was a good anti-diarrheal which eases inflamation in the bowel, could take a coupld of days to work. Didn't you use it before? Flagyl does the same thing, independent of their antibiotic properties, which may or may not work, depending on if there's a susceptable organism. I've read that people on these boards, sometimes give something like kaopectate, kaolin?
Belle was given that by her vet when she had bad diarrhea not long ago. It worked very fast.

i hope something helps and he gets over it.

if your vet prescribes salicylamide, discuss the common side effect of damage to tear production with them. it can be short term, longer term or permanent, but usually is short term. But cavaliers seem to be prone to tear issues already so if it's ever prescribed for zack again (as it was for colitis) i would ask about alternative medications, since zack did have the side effect. the vet immediately reduced the dosage when she saw that he was having eye symptoms from it. his tears have been worse ever since, although i don't don't know if this would've happened anyway. When i first got him, i was happy that he didn't have big tear stains like belle had, but since the salicylamide he has them but they come and go and it may be unrelated, who knows.

i hope King's better by now, how worrisome. good luck!

How is King doing? Any progress??

I've always been told that a little pumpkin in the food works well... I think someone may have already mentioned it.

Back