• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help! George keeps barking at other dogs!!

george108

Hi guys,

Any advice on what to do with George while I'm walking him? He's fine at walking (pulls a little but he's getting better) but as soon as he sees another dogs he barks like crazy. Yesterday he had a go at a St Bernard, a greyhound, 2 spaniel pups and a westie!! The westie's owner was not impressed!!I've tried changing direction and distracting him but as soon as he sees one he's doing a "scooby doo" run on the spot!!

Please help! :(

He needs a good obedience class to get used to being around other dogs and also paying atttention to you with distractions around. If you are in Dublin, I recommend checking out www.dogtrainingireland.ie our official board trainers. :) It is difficult to work alone at stopping a dog from doing this. This is a very frustrating issue with a dog as well and can become a permenent bad habit so the earlier you can work on this in a formal way, the better. (y)

Thanks Karlin, Do you know of any dog trainers in Laois/Offaly/Kildare? I really would like to get this sorted asap. We only have him 3 weeks and he's wonderful in every other way. He went for a short walk with my sister's westie yesterday (to introduce them) and seemed to do quite well. They were both on leads and appeared to be fine in each other's company. The barking problem occurs whenever we bring him out and he sees another dog nearby. I'm nervous in case another dog doesn't take to kindly to him! Thanks again.

The best thing to do is email Tara at DTI, taraATdogtrainingireland.ie. The vast majority of Irish trainers use corrections/choke chains/etc all of which are inappropriate to cavaliers in particular, and they know the ones that do not.

Back