• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New puppy supplies?

cavalicious

Hi all! :D Ollie is home with me in 2 weeks from now! :jmp2: YAY!!! :w**h**:

My shopping list includes:

Dental Care products
Grooming products
Shampoo
Bowls
Collar
Dog tag

We've got the crate, old towels, puppia and toys so far :p

I was wondering what sort of brushes you think I should get? I don't want to go OVERBOARD with price but any suggestions are welcome.

Also must I get a puppy shampoo or is normal dog shampoo alright?

Thanks in advance for the help :flwr:

Emily

Congrats on the new puppy! I know how excited you are. I use pet silk dog shampoo. Keeps her nice and white. I am not sure if you have that there.

Right now, I just use a metal comb. She doesn't really get any knots. I would also add a package of baby washclothes and q-tips. I used the clothes to wipe her eyes with warm water every day. I use the q-tips to apply some apple vinegar for the staining they can get around the eyes.

Pick a food. It is wise to use what the breeder has already been using.

Film, Film or get the digital camera ready! You will be taking lots of pictures and we want to see them!!

Thanks for the replies :D Oh yes.. digital camera will be used and will probably be full within the first hour! :lol:

Thanks for the link Mathisgreen :)

omg! 2 weeks!!! you must b totally thrilled!

with the brushes..just make sure whichever one you choose isnt 2 hard/spikey..like rub it against your skin or something and make sure it isnt going to scratch the puppy or anything..also dont go 4 those really stupid, really really soft brushes they sell where just by looking at it you can tell it probably cant even take out a small knot...they sometimes have brushes specifically 4 cavaliers but its not a necessity... most puppies dont really like 2 b groomed when theyre young so some struggling is pretty normal..usually not the brushes fault

Thanks Nisha :D Excited? HARDLY! icon_whistling :lol:

Thanks for the advice on brushes I was wondeirng if many poeple on here use slickers and metal combs? I don't think they are necessary for the puppy coat though.

Oh sorry forgot to mention before.. I haven't seen PetSilk around here but there are special white shampoos I've seen in the shops.

Oh and congratulations Mathisgreen on the new puppy! :D It is so exciting visiting your puppy but at 1.5 weeks don't expect them to do much ;)

cavalicious said:
Also must I get a puppy shampoo or is normal dog shampoo alright?

I would recommend tearless puppy shampoo, just to be sure that bathing is perceived as a positive, fun activity for your baby! :flwr:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a great Happy New Year present!!!

I use both a metal slicker brush (backs/bellies/butts) and a metal comb (ears/tail). But when they were puppies I used a plastic slicker brush with very rounded tips to get them used to it.

Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Thanks scuffer! :D

Ok went out shopping today and this is what I bought for Ollie:

Metal slicker
Natural bore bristle brush
Metal comb
Puppy shampoo
Puppy conditioner
Cat collar (will replace when Ollie gets bigger)
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Dog tag

All that is left is a lead, nail cutters and a nylabone! :p

Back