• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Probably a silly question

Nean

When people show dogs and win is there a monetary prize? If so, is it substantial?

Never had an interest in showing, so never thought about it. Not sure what brought it to mind now.. just curious.

Nean

I don't really know much about showing either... but from my understanding of what my breeder (who shows CKCS) says, there is not any money to be made. So, I think she means that even if there is a monitary value won, it is small, if that.

She shows for the hope of getting points for a champion status (did I say that correctly?).

I don't know either, but someone told me that there is money prizes and depending on what a dog wins is the size of the monetary prize. I was told that actually the prize can be quite handsome and that this is why breeders are always breeding and looking for that next perfect show dog.

Any truth to this?

Nean

Nope! :lol: There are a lot of costs in raising litters, health testing, travelling to shows, vet costs for large numbers of dogs, entry fees for competitions... mostly people get trophies and recognition. Very few show breeders make an income off breeding puppies and many take a loss or break even but it is part of breeding for a superb dog that littermates are produced that are homed. Stud fees alone can be the price of a single puppy.

A small number of well known breeders run large breeding establishments (of over say 10 breeding dogs) and these clearly do make money for those breeders and some consider this sort of atsablishment controversial.

Most of the 'breeders' making money -- and huge amounts in many cases -- are puppy farmers/millers, backyard breeders with a few to many breedings dogs (verging on a puppy mill but not quite) and the brokers who buy puppies en masse and sell them to you often as coming from 'a close relative' who breeds in Ireland or Wales and can get you a good 'direct' price on a 'champion-line' puppy (never, ever, ever true). These come from trash backyard breeders or puppy farms of appalling conditions. They do no testing, keep the dogs in small cages or outbuildings, and ogten home them underage (6 weeks, stating they are 8 weeks, for example). They feed them slop. No vet care til they get some vet in their pay to do the injections and sign the health clearance for shipping. Hence they make huge ampunts of money usually undeclared to tax authorities. :x

Nean said:
I don't know either, but someone told me that there is money prizes and depending on what a dog wins is the size of the monetary prize. I was told that actually the prize can be quite handsome and that this is why breeders are always breeding and looking for that next perfect show dog.

Any truth to this?

Nean

Depends on the show and depends on the win. Winning best of breed at an AKC show will generally get you a few pretty ribbons and "hopefully" points. I have a Ch male that won 6 best of breeds - finished quickly before he was 18 months old and we never won a penny.

Nope, no money in showing. You get some very nice ribbons and handshakes, though; even a hug or two :D

The only people who make money showing dogs are the professional handlers, but their money comes from the dog owners who pay them to show their dogs. But no money comes from the show itself.

The compensation for showing is truly the joy and pride in working as a team with the 4 legged critter be it horse or dog that you love dearly. It is hard to put that feeling into words but when you have competed and hold that ribbon whether it is first or fifth.....you will know the absolute joy of competition with your best best friend.

Big shows like Eukanuba may have monetary prizes for BIS etc...

The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship offers the only sizeable monetary award in dog shows, with cash and prizes totaling more than $225,000 to be awarded.

These breeders don't tend to be hobby breeders. Sandy

Back