• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cranberry sauce

murphy's mum

While reading Dec 'Your Dog' I came accross a Turkey & Trimmings X-mas Balls recipe. In it it had Cranberry Sauce, good for urinary health, I knew it was good for humans but has anyone ever heard of it being fed to dogs?
The recipe is by Joe Inglis a vet. Would cranberry sauce not be full of sugar too, it's just a teaspoon but even so.

Don't see why it would have to be full of sugar. You could just chuck the berries in the blender and whizz it- and they see if the dogs can get past the tart taste! :lol: :lol:

i was just looking on dog poison food lists, didn't see cranberries on there, also i saw that it's included as an ingredient on some low allergen dog foods. personally, i don't think added sugar would be good for the endocrine system, but i didn't find any mention of common toxicity for cranberries themselves. there is something you can give people and animals for urinary tract health called D-manose, i think it's the same sugar that's in cranberries, but much more potent and it's claimed by proponents that in the body, it makes it so that common offending bacteria can't grab onto the tissue that they attack, they are easily washed out of the system, so they say. It's a fine white powder that has a mild sweetness mixed with water, i've taken it before. The brand i got is called U Tract. i was told about it at the homeopathic drug store.

I think I've seen some cranberry water supplements somewhere for cats or dogs but can't find the link. :sl*p:

I did a google on "dog cranberry" and found a million links (sure not all on point ...). Reading through a few I think there is no harm in giving them to a dog, but the issue woudl be more would the dog like the tart flavor.

I would not be any more concerned about the sugar content in cranberries than apples - since they all pretty tart, I think a few cranberries would have substantially less sugar than apples. I'd do some research to verify before feeding to Lucky, but I don't think it would be harmful.

EDITED to add: I would not, however, feed commercially prepared cranberry sauce to a dog - no research on this, but I'd expect to see lots of refined sugars in there that probably are not good for humans or dogs. Pure cranberries though, like Pumpkin, I'd expect to be very good if the dog will eat them.

Back