• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy mopes for me when I am away during the week.

PamH

Our puppy Maddy has been with us now for for three weeks.
My husband picked her up on the Tuesday while I was away in New Hampshire. He is in Florida for the winter. I arrived Thursday and left again on the Monday. Last weekend I came home Friday and stayed until Sunday evening. I will return this Friday morning for ten days.
My husband is retired and I "commute" to work.
Yesterday he told me she was mopey and thought she was missing me. I talk to her on the phone and she licks the phone.
She seems a little better today. Hubby spends a lot of time with her.
Any tips on how to make the back and forth easier on her?
Pam

Awww gosh, that has to be tough! Maybe get her a lot of her favorite toys and chewy things (safe ones that is!)? And only give them to her just before you have to leave? My 2 boys stay home alone while I work during the day, but at least they've got each other, and that is nice that your husband is retired and can be home with Maddy.

Make sure you and your husband split doing things with her equally, while you are around. For example, both feed her, or even have him in charge of feeding and walks. This will help him bond with her so she is less focused on your absence. On the other hand it is common for a dog to bond more with one person. But perhaps her routine is changing significantly when you are not there and that may contribute to the situation? Or you interact with her more when both of you are there, so she looks more to you?

Thanks for the tips. I do try to spend more time with her when I am there, but both hubby and I take her on her walk. I tend to feed her when I am there and he does when I am not. We both play with her.
I would be very happy if she did not appear to miss me, but was happy to see me when I get home. I'd rather that than feel so guilty.
By the way, my husband says she does seem to recognize my voice on the phone. Do you think she does? Would it be better not to speak to her and remind her?
Pam

I live alone and I'm 48 yrs old. I take Tucker for short walks, let him run in the yard, and I play with him in the house, everyday. But, when my nieces or nephews visit, Tucker lights up like a christmas tree. He loves children. When any of the kids sleep over, he focuses on them almost exclusively. He sleeps with them. The first night I got Tucker, my niece Rosalee spent the night, both she and Elizabeth are his favorites. If the kids haven't seen him for 3 to 4 days, and if I haven't had any other company, he kinda looks down. I just play with him a bit more. However, I have had Rosalee babysit Tucker for me, and she says he starts to look for me all around the house, and go to the door to wait for me. These are the most social dogs, the most loving creatures, I think Tucker just wants to keep his tribe with him at all times, but it doesn't mean he is unhappy, just a little bored, when he's only got me :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one that puts their dog on the phone. Tucker routinely listens to Elizabeth and my mother on the phone. He turns his head back and forth, his tails starts wagging like crazy and he generally gives the phone a lick, then he runs off, gets a toy or one of his balls and brings it back to the phone!

Joanne, thanks for the input. I would prefer to think that she just prefers to have "more" people rather than just one. She is very sociable too.
When she gets back to New Hampshire in May we will have to get our children together!
Pam

Joanne M said:
I live alone and I'm 48 yrs old.
Hey me too! oh, wait, ...counts, darn 49 here :(

Joanne M said:
gets a toy or one of his balls and brings it back to the phone!
That is so cute!

I mostly fed, brushed, trained our lab. If I went out she sat with her bottom at the top 2/3 of the stairs to see out the little top door window to watch for the car. If I went away she pouted. But when home she ignored me, followed my daughter and thought as a huge lab she was a lap dog - no kidding always on the couch with 1/2 her body on her. When my oldest went to university, each time she was here for a visit but then left our dog was depressed for 24 hrs - would not look at you!

They love us all for different reasons just like we love all our children!

Back