• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bean bags . . .yes or no?

angie

jadan has slept in his bean bag since he was about 12 wks old when he came upon it in the front room and as we have laminate floors and as there was no laps at the time must have thought it was a nice warm spot and it smelled of my son sean so even better :lol: he has been in it ever since and he is now 9 months, dragging it into which ever room he wanted to kip in and now doesnt use his proper dog bet at all. the question is...is it alright for his growing bones? it supports him and he makes a nice little whole in the middle of it to snuggle into but it doesnt lay him out flat. does this matter? i just wondered as he is growing and sleeps in it sooo much ;)

Sorry I don't know the answer but.. my cat is always on my beanbag! When I want to sit on it she looks completely offended at me pushing her off :roll: :p

Very good question. sorry I don't know the answer.

My mums puppy Toby is favouring the tiled floor :yikes over most of his beds and mats at the moment and it makes me cringe wondering about his little bones. I think it due to our heat he feels nice and cool there ?

I hate to be a scaremonger here but I wouldn't presonally use a bean bag. They are filled with tiny polystyrene beads and if these get out they can get into the lungs. They are impossible to detect by x-ray and can cause mega problems :(

We had a GSD who managed to open the door from the kitchen to the dining room and she tore open the kids' bean bag - we were finding beads for months :shock: Luckily, she suffered no ill effects but I still don't like the things. I have a real hatred of polystyrene.

Oh yeah, and the reason the furries like them so much is because polystyrene keeps the body heat.....

I would say that it might be dangerous if you have a chewer on your hands....

I have a friend that allows her dogs to lounge on beanbags, but she has made covers for the bb out of some kind of water resistant pleather stuff... I think this was a good idea.

In general I don't think it would be a problem. It's not going to hurt his body to lay on it if that's where he chooses to lay. The issue would be, as Donna says, to be careful the beads stay inside the chair. If he's a chewer I wouldn't keep it down for him.

i was going to put on the end that i know about the inner being made of polly balls but didnt want to ramble on. he has been lying on it for the last six months and doesnt ever go to chew on it even though he is a chewer he likes my wood more!! never had a problem there. any bedding can be dangerous if the dog gets into it i suppose. my sisters pup ripped open his bed which had that white stuffing inside and was just caught in time with a nice big mouth full, dont know how much he had already eaten though. completely riped it to bits, twice!! got a new one and did the same. now sleeps on a fleece. anyway i would obviously change it if there was the slightest whole etc but was mainly worried about his body posture. in fact i would change the insides and fill it with proper stuffing if i first knew that the actual shaping of it wasnt a problem. :p

I think it'll be fine then. When Jake was a baby we came home to white stuffing all over his x-pen. He had ripped his little bed to pieces! :yikes After that he only got towels for a while until he had got over his desire to destroy anything in the pen.

Pictures as promised:

329931189_40c314fc82.jpg

329931192_81b95d1791.jpg

Back