• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maddy vomiting

PamH

This weekend Maddy vomited a little bit. Just once. I didn't worry about it. But my hubby told me she did the same yesterday and today. First thing this morning. A little yellowish foam really.
Could it be something in her diet? She has purina one, a little soft dog food and a little cottage cheese or sometimes a little scrambled eggs mixed in.
Pam

In general vomitting is not as serious to pups as it can be to humans. Both of mine vomit every once in a while (in fact, Shelby did yesterday, and I think it was an emotional thing because I was very busy yesterday and both pups were upset with my lack of attention).

That said...it can be dangerous to a young pup. It can cause dehydration. Sometimes a pup will vomit in the morning because of an empty tummy. Some advice giving the pup a biscuit before bedtime so they aren't sleeping on an empty tummy.

How is she behaving otherwise? Her gums should be pink. If you press on them they should go white and right back to pink. If they aren't pink it can be a sign of dehydration.

When Chester was a little pup he would sometimes spit up some foamy, yellow bile usually first thing in the morning. The vet and several websites said that they can do that if they have a really empty stomach. I then started giving Chester a little "snack" before bed and a couple tiny treats first thing when he woke up and that solved the problem.

I would call your vet to see what they say, but hopefully it's just the empty stomach issue.

India had that as a puppy, too. We divvied up her food into lots of little meals for awhile. As an adult, she needs to be fed morning and evening, with a lunch time biscuit.

:lol: Oops, I forgot about the language! I meant a dog biscuit like a treat! :) I have bought some healthy biscuits that have duck & potato -or- high protein no grain treats. We give them one at lunch time for a snack.

I have definitely noticed it appears to be hunger. The problem is Maddy finds food the least of her preferred activities. She barely eats. If we put her in her crate and go out for a few hours and leave the food in the xpen there is more chance she will eat it.
If I hand feed her she gobbles it.
Pam

Pam, if you can get a kong treat dispenser ball and put her kibble in it, she will likely eat the food as she plays the game of rolling the dispnser ball with her paws. This really worked for India when she was a pup!

Have you tried several different types of food to see if there is one that appeals more to her ? or the fifiteen minute rule. The later worked a treat for my mums little one.

I know some dogs are just not food orientated, although this is hard for me to imagine with my two who inhale their food not eat it.

Good luck with it and Merry Christmas :)

I'm sitting here with Tucker reading new postings, and I got to thinking about how lucky little Maddy is to have so many people looking out for her. Pam, Merry Christmas to you, hubby and Maddy.

I cannot say enough how wonderful everyone is at this site and how lucky I feel to have found it. It's a great comfort to know that what happens to one of our precious cavs, often has happened to others and we get to benefit from their wisdom.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Back