• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

adding another puppy to our home

Harley & Carley

We just got out first puppy 3 weeks ago and are getting her sibling Friday - I know we are crazy, but it is just working out that way. They are both 13 weeks old.

I work about 3 days/week and am gone about 7 hours on those days, but will be home the next 3 weeks for the holiday.

both puppies come litter trained, although we have our first puppy going outside and not using the litter box at this time. So far, I have been able to come home at lunch or have my husband come home, but I cant depend on being able to do that every time.

I need advice on the following:

take them outside to "go" separately or together to teach the 2nd one to go outside

use the litter box on the days I am working or try to get someone to come at lunch until they are big enough to hold it all day

use on food bowl or two

use one crate for sleeping or two
I can have my husband take them to work with him, but I am afraid that a whole other environment may confuse them at this early age - advice??

Any tips you have are greatly appreciated and lots of prayer too!!

I raised 2 puppies at once (they are one month apart in age, and we had one of them for almost 2 months before we got the 2nd.) Their breeder thought it was ok to raise them together. We already knew about "Littermate Syndrome" so we were very, very careful to raise them as separate puppies!

We were warned by our dog trainer not to allow them to be together too much, so this is the set up we had for them for when we were at work: We had 2 30" x-pens side by side in the kitchen with one crate in each. We put down newspaper or wee wee pads in the x-pens in case they could not hold it. We came home at lunchtime to take them out, and we never left them for more than 4-4.5 hours at a time.

We took them outside individually most of the time. If we were both available, we'd each take one out for potty. We'd keep them separated for potty, because when training and treating their focus needs to be on the human, not on each other.

We fed them separately in their x-pens, and they each had their own food and water bowls.

We have always crated them separately at night.

They need to be obedience trained separately, and should not be allowed to play together endlessly.

I took them to different training classes, and we took them places separately, so each pup could adjust to spending a few hours alone. This is very important, or they could get separation anxiety from each other.

Please read up on littermate syndrome! It is a lot of work. :flwr:

harley said:
We just got out first puppy 3 weeks ago and are getting her sibling Friday - I know we are crazy, but it is just working out that way. They are both 13 weeks old.

Yes, you're nuts! But at least your Christmas won't be dull!!

harley said:
I work about 3 days/week and am gone about 7 hours on those days, but will be home the next 3 weeks for the holiday.

This three week period will be vital. You'll learn a lot about how the two dogs will react to each other in their new situation. What you learn during these three weeks will probably give you the answers to the questions below. The thing to remember, though, is that three weeks is an introductory period. Things will change when you go back to work for your two pups, and their behavior will most likely reflect it. Be prepared for difficulties when you first go back to work.

harley said:
both puppies come litter trained, although we have our first puppy going outside and not using the litter box at this time. So far, I have been able to come home at lunch or have my husband come home, but I cant depend on being able to do that every time.

I need advice on the following:

take them outside to "go" separately or together to teach the 2nd one to go outside

It will depend on how much house training the new puppy will have when it arrives. If it just litter box trained, you will have to decide how reliant on the litterbox you want to be.

harley said:
use the litter box on the days I am working or try to get someone to come at lunch until they are big enough to hold it all day

If you can get someone to exercise them, give them some attention and let them out at lunch time ALL the time, your life will be easier and the dogs will be happier. Even if they COULD hold it all day, it probably wont be comfortable. How often do YOU hold it all day?

harley said:
use on food bowl or two
IMO, use two. This way, you can measure out the appropriate amount of food for each dog. You may have to supervise closely at first to make sure they can eat politely out of separate bowls next to each other. Some multi-dog households feed each dog while they are in separate crates/kennels.

harley said:
use one crate for sleeping or two
I think this really depends on how the dogs react to the crate and to each other. My girls share a crate quite happily; other dogs dont.

harley said:
I can have my husband take them to work with him, but I am afraid that a whole other environment may confuse them at this early age - advice??

What would be confusing? If your husband can be with them all the time, it could really help in their house training. If your husband can take them, will care for them, and he can still get his work done, that sounds Ideal to me!

harley said:
Any tips you have are greatly appreciated and lots of prayer too!!

Good Luck!

a few question about your response

going to work with my husband - he is the commander at an army post here (the boss) so he has the liberty of taking him to work with him - probably not all the time, but at least most of the days that I have to work. I was afraid the environment and routine there would be confusing because it isnt what life is like at home - they wont have a pen, but the use of his office as their den. there will be times when he isnt "in" the office, but down the hall and they may have to stay in the office - I dont know - i was afraid that the different schedule and environment may be confusing -going from home to the office and home again on different days - any thoughts?

Litter box - I know it will be a while before they have enough control to be reliable. SHould I give them an alternate elimination place while they grow and gain that control or just try to prevent mistakes. I guess my ultimate goal is for them to go outside, but it would be nice if they could use the litter box if they had to while we were not home,and go outside when we are home (remove the litter box when we are home) until they can "hold it" for 4-5 hours at a time. I should be able to check on them mid-day and when thay can consistently hold it that long, I can remove the litter box. Will this just confuse them?

Re: a few question about your response

harley said:
going to work with my husband - he is the commander at an army post here (the boss) so he has the liberty of taking him to work with him - probably not all the time, but at least most of the days that I have to work. I was afraid the environment and routine there would be confusing because it isnt what life is like at home - they wont have a pen, but the use of his office as their den. there will be times when he isnt "in" the office, but down the hall and they may have to stay in the office - I dont know - i was afraid that the different schedule and environment may be confusing -going from home to the office and home again on different days - any thoughts?

What does your husband think of the arrangement? The dogs will want attention, etc., from him during the day. Will that be a problem? Will it be a problem to take them outside to do their business?

If he's fine with it, I think the dogs will do fine, too. I'm sure they'd be the little darlings of the entire office! I would make sure that they have a kennel, though. There are all sorts of things puppies can get into in an office if they arent supervised. If your husband had to leave the office for any reason, he could put them in their kennel while he is gone.

harley said:
Litter box - I know it will be a while before they have enough control to be reliable. SHould I give them an alternate elimination place while they grow and gain that control or just try to prevent mistakes. I guess my ultimate goal is for them to go outside, but it would be nice if they could use the litter box if they had to while we were not home,and go outside when we are home (remove the litter box when we are home) until they can "hold it" for 4-5 hours at a time. I should be able to check on them mid-day and when thay can consistently hold it that long, I can remove the litter box. Will this just confuse them?

I have never used a litter box to train. Some others on the board have, so perhaps they will chime in. My instinct tells me that it will have to be one or the other, though. It will be too confusing for the pups to know when to use the litterbox and when to go outside. If you want them to eventually go outside only, I'd start working on that now. If your husband is with them everyday and can take them out on a schedule, it shouldnt be too hard to housetrain them.

he is excited about taking them to work and doesn think it will be a problem. I guess I will let him give it a go. on the days he cannot take them, I will try to come home or get my sitter to stop by for a while.

will they know not to "go" in hie office since it is a new place or should he crate them until they know it is a clean place?

Just to chime in on what Moviedust said, I would be very careful about letting them run around an office. My husband has his office in our home, and Lily loves to go in the office with him and play with her toys. Yesterday she came running in the family room to me, and she had a PAPER CLIP in her mouth, already half straightened out. I about had a heart attack. No more going in Daddy's office. There are paper clips and staples, etc. that fall on the floor in a office environment. Unless they were going to be in their crates, I would be careful with this arrangement. His office would need to be puppy proofed, and even then, it would be almost impossible to monitor everything that may fall on the floor. You or I, may not even see a paper clip or staple on the floor, but believe me, a puppy will find it. And let's face it, most men just don't pay attention, like a Mommy, especially if they are working. Who knows how long Lily had that paper clip, and he didn't even see her. But that's what happens when you're busy at work, and you get distracted. There was a thread on here or another forum a few weeks ago about someone's dachshund puppy getting the cap to a chap stick stuck in it's throat and chocking to death. I don't mean to scare you, but they really do have to be watched like a hawk when not in their crate. Just something for you to think about.

PLease be careful as they will ingest anything. If they ingest pennies, the zinc under the copper will poison them; it kills blood cells and shuts down organs. There are loose pennies laying about all over along with lots of strange things! Good luck. 2 puppies is a tremendous amount of work!

Re: a few question about your response

harley said:
going to work with my husband - he is the commander at an army post here (the boss) so he has the liberty of taking him to work with him -

How cute!!! They are little military brats!! Love it!! You definately need to look at the camo puppias!! Maybe they will do such a good job at blending no one will notice... lol!

is it that bad of an idea

OK - I am getting really worried that this isnt a good idea - in fact, it is an awful idea. Everything I have found online says not to do it - that it will cause problems with training and obedience, and we will regret it forever. I cant find a single site that says it is an acceptable thing to do. they say the puppies wont get enough attention, and will only depend on each other and that I have to keep them separate for at least one year if there is any chance of it working.
the breeder has only said that it will be alot of work.
I guess i could get out of it, but we really wanted it to work.
what is your best advice - get the 2nd puppy or wait until next summer or later??

it will be a lot of work i have a 11 week old puppy and i am knacked you have to watch them like a hawk and make sure that rooms are puppy proofed and safe. I can't imagine looking after two puppies at the same time but then again this is my first puppy so i am not very experienced maybe the others can offer you some advice. But i love the idea of two puppies especially siblings together they will have companship when your not there.

I have read all the similar warnings... especially if they are from the same litter... they said flat out don't do it... but to each thier own. You have to make an educated decision based on what is best for you, your family, and your pups!

Harley, I'm certainly no expert. This is my first puppy in 13 years, and my first Cav. So my opinion is just that, an opinion and what I personally have experienced with Lily. I can just say that for me, there is no way I could raise 2 puppies at the same time. It absolutely changes your life. It is hard work and you have to watch them constantly. With my other 2 dogs as puppies, my Mother had them during the day while I worked, so I really missed a lot of the work. This time, it is just me most of the day (my husband and I are both home during the day) but I do most of the day time, and he does the nights. I can't imagine everything we are doing X 2. Cavs are different from any other dog I have ever had. They require a lot of attention and want to be with you every second, at least that is how Lily is. You worry about them and watch them like a hawk. We absolutely love and adore her, and she is the center of our life. With this being said, I wouldn't be able to give 2 puppies the attention that I give Lily. None of this has anything to do with what the experts say about raising 2 puppies together, this is just my opinion based on my experience so far. You have to be totally committed, because these dogs are literally like babies. Just imagine raising twin babies.

Again, I am certainly not an expert, just giving you a viewpoint from a new Cav Mom. I will end with this: She is the best thing we have ever done, and we wouldn't trade her or the experience for anything. She is truly our baby. You know what's best for you and your family, and I'm sure you will make the right decision. Best of luck with you new baby/babies!

Hi Harley,

I did it. I raised two siblings together. It was a lot of work, but I think I was successful. They are both Canine Good Citizens and Certified Therapy dogs. I also took them to a few group obedience classes starting at 4 months old. Everyone told me it would not be successful, but Fortunately they were wrong.

Start with separate feeding bowls and crates. Take them out separately, and play with each one separately. They also can play together. Cavaliers love to play with their own kind. Socialize them as much as possible with people. My trainer told me early on, to leave one home for shor periods of time so that they will be used to being alone.

All of my friends that have 2 cavaliers, have told me they really have trouble taking them places separately. I can them but It is much easier to take them together. I also have separate crates in my car for them. They know the routine and go into their respective crates. They also have two distinct personalities.

This was a first for me, but i was not a first time dog owner. I guess I was lucky. It took a little longer to housebreak both of them. But at 9 months they were 100% trained and were perfectly trained in all aspects of keeping the house clean and they were never destructive. They still love their crates when we are not home but they have full run of the house.

If i had to do it over again, I would eventually have two, but I would train one and then get a second 9 months later after puppy number 1 was reliably trained.

Good luck!!!!!!

BS

It was a lot of work raising two puppies together, but I do not regret it.

India and Geordie are truly best buddies, and they are very playful with each other, very entertaining! :lol: It was a lot of work, though, and luckily my hubster shared the load almost equally with me. India went on to become CGC and TDI, while Geordie is my Agility boy!

Back