• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can someone please help with these symptoms??

george108

We only have George 3 weeks now and he is doing really well. We've begun to notice he is scratching around his neck and ears. He has a quick scratch and then he's fine again. No sooner had this started and he began sneezing which is now becoming more regular. Over the last few days he has been breathing strangely. I don't know if it's a cough as I have never heard a dog cough. My partner says it's more like hyperventilating. We spoke to the vet tonight and he's going for a check up on Friday. All these symptoms have occured fairly quickly and the breathing problem seems to be happening since we changed his food. He does it after eating and tonight he done it out walking (once when he pulled on his lead and once for no reason). Could it be an allergy or someting more serious? I'm worried sick about him and even though he's going on Friday I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

i have only had a puppy for a few weeks so i am not very knowledgeable could it be the collar which is anoying him and making him scratch, or could he have ear mites. My puppy scratches occasionally put its just normal doggy behaviour (i hope).
I think sometimes you can read about so many illness's that you can look for the symptoms and then panic when it's just normal doggy behaviour. Could you contact your breeder after all they will know puppy's behaviour better than anyone. And they will know about cavaliers and can offer you some support i know that i ring my breeder when i worry about lady and she can offer advice.
If you are concerned especially with a cough i would try to get in to the vets asap or ring vet emergency line if they have one. At least if you talk to a vet over phone and explain all symtoms they may be able to reasure you and maybe get him to vets tomorrow am. It's so worrying when your pup's not usual self. Keep us posted on amy developments sending puppy kisses to george from lady. :flwr:

Thanks for your input. George was a rescue dog so I know nothing of his background. I agree with what you're saying about reading too much into it but I just want to make sure the little fella is happy and healthy. The vet says it could be his heart/trachea problem/allergy. He'll get to see the vet on Friday but just worrying myself sick in the meantime!

Thanks again and LOVE the photo. So cute!!

i can tell you want the best for him. I am sorry i can't offer any other advice i hope he's ok at vet check.

How old is he? It is very unlikely to be his heart unless he is at least 2 or 3 and even then, that would be extremely unusual to be showing symptoms.

When he makes the breathing sound is it kind of like wheezing, then after a bit it stops? This may just be 'the cavalier snort', which is normal and often happens to some cavaliers. It is a result of their nose being extra short. All of mine do it now and then; some dogs do it a lot. Next time he does this, try gently tipping his head down towards his chest while you cover his nostrils with a finger. If it is the snort he'll likely stop right away and carry on without a bother. I know of people who have rushed dogs to the ER in the middle of the night having heard the snort and thinking the dog couldn't breathe. :) They can often do it after or even wghile eating -- Leo somteims does -- probably because of excitement and the position down and forward of their heads.

Sounds like he might have some allergies or could have picked up kennel cough and hence the sneezing. Dogs scratch for all sorts of reasons from ear mites to fleas to (in cavaliers) PSOM. When the scratching is particularly aggressive or odd it could be syringomyelia but that doesn;t sound like an SM scratch to me.

Rescues often have ear mites etc.

Regarding food allergies: don;t let the vets try to sell you Hills or another expensive diet to try. Just feed something like James Wellbeloved and get one of the non-poultry flavours (dogs tend to have more allergic reactions to chicken and beef, and to grains, than other things).

I am guessing the sneezing (and maybe the coughing) is just a mild cold or a bit of kennel cough and these are not allergies, and that he's just doing the cav snort. But do have him checked; I'd just be cautious to rush into treatments for what may only be some basic cavalier behaviour.

Pm me if you want to let me know where he came from and his background. If he was only recently into rescue then they often are a bit under the weather for a bit due to stress and the changes -- esp. if he was in a pound or rescue kennel.

Thanks Karlin. We were told at the rescue that he's two and a half years old. I was so worried over the last day or 2 because I really thought it was the start of his heart problems. Hopefully you're right and this is not the case. It's more of a choking sound than a snort. I undestand that you can't diagnose him but do you think it could be a trachea problem? He pulls very strongly on his lead and he was choking tonight doing it. As soon as I rub him he seems to calm down and stop.

Just one more thing. I fed him some chopped up raw carrots yesterday with a very small bit of gravy as his poo was a bit soft. Is this ok and if so how often should I feed him carrots? He eats half Royal Canin in the morning and half in the evening. Should I mix a few carrots in with his dinner? Also I have given him a small piece of apple and banana in his Kong. Is there a limit to the amount of fruit I should give him?

Thanks again for the advice.

The 'snort' sounds like a choking or gagging sound. I am pretty sure that is all it was. I'd strongly recommend getting a good harness for him, such as one of the Puppias,. Walking on a collar isn't the best for any dog that pulls but cavaliers have soft necks and their tracheas can be damaged, among other reasons for using a harness. You can get Puppias from the shop at www.dogtrainingireland.ie or pet-bliss.ie.

Two and a half would be very young to be coughing due to MVD -- that is one of the very advanced signs of congestive heart failure. Haven;t heard of any cavalier having that advanced stage at that age.

If George is pulling on his collar, it could be contributing to the problem.

Harnesses are always a good idea for cavaliers. The Puppia harness is popular with many cavalier owners because it's made of soft cloth and is comfortable. When the dog pulls against the lead, the pressure is off his/her neck.

Thanks a million guys. I feel better about it now. I will definitely order him a harness. As I won't be around tomorrow, my sister is taking him to the vet just to get him looked at. Paranoid about his trachea now. I'll have to stop reading all these horror stories! :shock:

I agree with Karlin this definitely sounds like the 'cavalier snort'. It does sound like they are choking and can happen at any time, pulling on the lead, feeding, playing etc.,
I love the Puppia harnesses, they are very comfy for the dogs.
Good luck with your boy, I am sure he is fit and well.

Cathy I went for the black one. Sat here trying to picture him in each colour! I reckon he'll be quite dashing in black!! 8)

Ruth I really hope that's all it is. My mind is more at ease now that I've got some very good replies. George is the first cav I have ever owned and it can be so worrying when you're not familiar with different things. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Good Luck with the Vet. Please let us know as soon as you get a chance. Our 2 both "snort"...the first time we thought they were choking. They do it fairly often when they get too excited. But we just give them lovin' and it stops.
Love and Licks to George...
Boo & Punkin'

Thanks scuffer. It's reassuring to hear that your 2 do it often. George was doing it a lot today which had me so concerned for him. Each time I just rubbed him and talked to him calmly and he stopped straight away. Is it silly of me to bring him to the vet (as it seems to be clear that's what it is)or should I still go ahead and get him checked? The vet wants to give him a good check up, checking his heart, trachea and also he wants to take blood to check for allergies.

george108 said:
....All these symptoms have occured fairly quickly and the breathing problem seems to be happening since we changed his food. He does it after eating and tonight he done it out walking (once when he pulled on his lead and once for no reason). Could it be an allergy or someting more serious..

If it started since changing his food, might you try changing him back to the food he was on before, just to see if that makes a difference? good luck at the vet friday! I hope they can give you some reassuring information.

Look for any bald patches, which may suggest mites. When Monty had them he had bald areas on the tips of his leathers.

Definitely sounds like the "snort" especially if he's able to stop once you calm him. I put a hand on Shelby's chest when she does it and she calms down. You can also tilt his nose down to his chest and it opens up his breathing.

The harness should help. I walk both of mine on harnesses.

I would still take him to the vet if he's hasn't seen a vet since you got him. Can't hurt to have the vet give him a good going over. Let us know what they say.

Yes...I agree with Cathy. Definitely take him to the vet for a good checkup. His itchy ears could be ear mites or an allergy to the new food. My pups have had itchy ears from a yeast infection (I believe from having wet ears). So I clean their ears a couple times a week with ear wipes. I personally wouldn't go through a huge expense on allergy testing...my vet suggested taking them to the basics of food then adding other foods slowly. Best of Luck...let us know.

Back