• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can someone please help with these symptoms??

Just got back from the vet with George. He had his heart and his temp checked. Both fine. The vet said the sneezing could be an allergy as he has some discharge from his eyes. He gave him a steroid shot and some eye drops. He also said that the coughing could possibly be connected to his trachea. He gave him a course of preds and Millephline (sp?). He is to take them for a week and if there is no improvement with the cough, he'll go for an x-ray. He didn't mention "cavalier snort" and said nothing about it when I mentioned it. I'm concerned about the medication. Should I definitely go ahead with the preds? And the other tablets (apparently to help his breathing)? I don't want to give him medication if there's nothing wrong with him.

Thanks guys

Should I give him these tablets??

Sorry for being impatient. He's due to start the tablets tomorrow for his choking/gagging. Don't know if he should take them or not. Could they damage him if it's "cavalier snort"?

Thanks again.

Can you get a second opinion? And refer to the Cavalier snort as 'reverse sneezing' if you do- maybe they'll recognise the more technical term :roll: . I'd want to check that it definitely *isn't* reverse sneezing before putting him on anything for it. It can be frightening to see, especially for a new Cav owner, but honestly, calming the dog- sometimes just picking them up does the trick!- or covering the nose and pushing it to chest DOES work.

Thanks Lisa. I've been rubbing his back and talking to him calmly and it stops straight away. I would hate to put him on tablets for coughing if he doesn't need to be. It seems to be so common but like you say, it's very alarming when you're not used to it. I think I might go to a different vet. The vet that was there today wasn't George's usual one. I just don't feel happy about it. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. :thnku:

I'd go with Lisa on this one. The cavalier snort is a very distinctive sounds. It sounds almost like a honking. If you tilt his nose down towards his chest it should stop. I wish I had a video of it. It scared the bejesus out of me the first time it happened. Here's an excerpt I found on a chihuahua board:

Occasional bouts of sneezing, snorting, honking and wheezing are not unusual in chihuahuas, and is sometimes called a "reverse sneeze". This is usually caused by a elongated soft palate that is thought to become temporarily misaligned. It is a common trait in toy breeds. Pulling hard on a leash, drinking too fast or getting overly excited can lead to an episode of reverse sneezing. Reverse sneezing SHOULD NOT be confused with a different condition called "collapsed trachea".

Although reverse sneezing may appear to be scary, it only lasts a short time and can be ended by massaging the dog's neck and throat and encouraging the dog to swallow or lick. Another way to slow the reverse sneeze is to clap your hands to distract the dog, or pinch closed the dog's nostrils with your fingers, forcing it to breathe through its mouths and to swallow.

Thanks Cathy. By the sounds of things I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I'll bring him to a different vet tomorrow. And I agree about the video. It would be great to have one because I would imagine so many people are alarmed when they first hear it.

YOu know what ...??? I did a google "reverse sneeze video"

http://courses.ncsu.edu/vmc951/common/media/hawkins/

Lucky hasn't starting doing this yet thank goodness, but my sister's little Chi had a horrible little attack the other day when he was really excited and pulled too hard on his harness.

Maybe some of the people whose Cavs have experienced can let you know how the the Cavalier snort compares with this video

I also think you are describing the Cavalier Snort.

It's very scary til you get used to hearing it, then you realize that it's cureable by patting them on the throat or chest.

Mary Alice had a very bad attack after treeing a squirrel, it's just too excitiing for her!!

Charley used to do it all the time, when excited or out of breath.

I agree about the second opinion, or just call your vet back and ask if he thinks it could be just "reverse sneezing".

Good luck with your decision. ;D

zack hasn't done it. I've seen belle do it out on a walk to a point where she had to be picked up and carried. every time she walked, it would start. she was wearing a collar, it wasn't until much later that she got her puppia harness. she was excited on the walk. then she started gasping. For me, it would never be something i would get used to. It sounded like she was dying. I'd heard of reverse sneezing before and Lisa had talked to the vet about it, so i thought she's be OK, but still, i wasn't sure because she appeared to be choking and unable to breathe.

george's mom, i sympathize with your concern about the medication. you apparently weren't inspired to trust the opinion of this vet. Can you make an appointment to see the one you usually see and ask whether the reverse sneeze has been ruled out, since it doesn't require steroids? Or might you go to a different clinic? Zack has been sick twice since i've had him and both times i consulted multiple vets, because i felt compelled to in the first case. he kept getting worse and the treatments weren't helping. (there was a different explanation in the second case.)

Since you not only described coughing but also scratching, it makes sense that the vet wanted to try steroids, but i doubt all vets would jump right into steroids with trying other things first. You might be more comfortable with a different style?

What you said about how you are feeding carrots, that sounds good to me. I usually give Zack one carrot stick a day so he can carry it around and chew on it. He doesn't always eat it all.

The video isn't very typical of the reverse sneezes in my experinece. We have nevr had that creaking noise.

Would it be possible, to put your mind at rest, to arange to ring a forum member, during a snorting bout, so they can give their opinion ?

The video of the Boston is exactly what we have. I couldn't see the other video. The snork snork sound is what we get. Shelby used to do it fairly regularly. I was visiting my breeder before I brought Jake home and one of her dogs did it. She very calmly tilted his nose down and explained to me what was happening. Had that happened to me at home with Jake I would have freaked. He very rarely does it and when he does it scares him and he'll run into my lap and cower. Shelby takes it all in stride...like she does everything! I rub her neck and she's fine. Jake will run over and start sniffing her when she does it.

Back