Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often to bathe

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often to bathe

How often should I give my Cavalier a bath? He starts having that dog smell after about 2 weeks.

Thanks,
    Seanboy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How often is his bedding being washed? I wash my dogs' bedding every week, and I find they don't need to be bathed very often. I bathe them every 2-3 months, unless they roll in something dirty or get muddy.

Some people bathe their dogs more often without a problem, so it seems to be a personal choice.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know what the pros will say but as just regular pet owners, we bath ours once a week. Unless of course they get into something objectionable which then they get it right away in between their weekly baths.

Grooming is another matter. In our case, it's actually needed after every meal because they at least get their ears in their food and/or water when they drink so we prefer to head off knotting of the hair. We try to get to it daily but sometimes miss a day or so with brushing.

Good luck.
    Doggydad to Charley (Blen), Megan (Ruby), Mocha (Pekinese-Shih Tzu mix), Abby (Heinz 57 mix), Hobie (Poodle mix), Bessie (Min-Poodle) Butch (mix) and Snickers at The Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

DON"T QOUTE ME but.........

It takes at least two weeks for the natural oils to build up in your dogs skin/coat, for this reason normal dogs (without allergy) should not be bathed any more than once a fortnight. The longer you can leave it the better as you want their skin and coat to be as natural as possible, if you bath more than this the skin will dry out and cause problems.

I agree with Cathy on changing the bedding, I would also suggest regular brushing (everyday or second day) as this helps to clean the coat also.

You can always spot clean sections eg, mouth, if they are getting dirty too quick or just soak the paws once a week if these are a problem ? but make sure you dry them properly.

All in all make sure you use a very good quality doggy or puppy shampoo and you can always buy a leave in conditioner if need be.
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, forgot to mention that daily brushing really does keep them clean!! And I wipe their faces with a wet paper towel at least once a day, and brush their teeth, etc.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Leave in conditioner is good for helping preventing matts- I must do Holly again- and conditioning sprays give the coat softness and shine, as well as deodorising between baths.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

I've been giving Wesley a bath once a week, but I think that may be too much because he seems to scratch a bit. I think it may be drying him out. But I use the Pet Silk Shampoo and Conditioner.

Are pet perfumes ok instead?
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Our kids get baths every 6 weeks. We also brush them daily...those crazy coats But if they start to get a little stinky we have doggie wipes that help a bunch. They sleep in bed with us so their bedding isn't an issue.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mean to make my old lab sound, well dirty... but she only had a professional groomer bath once a yr and I bathed her an average of 2 maybe 3 times from may to late sept when she was out and it was hot. She didnt smell, but also she was brushed about 3x a wk.

So is it that the cavalier longer coat attracts more dirt that makes them smell more or are you all talking about the fact their coats just look messed up because of all their fuzz?

We were told a lab didnt need a bath that often, that is was better to brush more and stimulate natural oils. Those of you that use conditioners (leave in) inbetween baths, do you find they leave an oily coating which maybe attracting more dirt? I guess you can guess, I'm not familar yet with a long haired breed yet.

Post Thanks / Like

zack doesn't smell at all, he doesn't have any odor (except when he got into the catbox FOR THE FIRST--and hopefully last--TIME the other day)

other than that, Zack has no dog odor. After i first got him, he got a dog odor, especially a breath odor, which lasted for a while, weeks, and then went away and never came back. I learned on cavaliertalk that it was from teething.

He also had that dog odor, which i don't think of as a bad odor, but it's a distinctive dog odor. He just had that for a short time and then it went away, and now, he has pretty much no odor at all, or very mild not unpleasant odors.

Back when he used to have the dog odor, i was giving him a bath about once a month and found that the bath took the odor away. As time went on, i've given him a bath less and less, pretty much like Cathy, every several months. When he has gotten dirty, the dirt just went away on its own, partly from brushing and partly, somehow it just magically goes away.

I asked Jean Dodds about this when i consulted with her about general health things. She said mainly brush him with a soft bristle brush. She said they have a feral cat at home that they have never bathed.

i use oatmeal shampoo when i bathe Zack.

Lisa T (and anyone?)--i'm very interested in the leave in conditioner--does it really prevent mats as long as you brush? LauraD had posted a while back about Riley getting matts despite her best efforts and at the time, zack never got matts, even if i didn't brush him. but recently he has suddenly started getting bad matts in his ear hair and i was remembering Laura and Riley. Like, i will use the de-matting comb and the ears will seem matt free but then the next day, a huge matt will be there that wasn't there the day before. this is a new one for me. does the leave in conditioner come in an unscented version? I'd rather not put perfume on zack, i like his natural smell, or non-smell.