• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crate/Water Question

casshon

I have just bought an XL crate for my 2 new girls - they were so excited when I set it up and love going in and out. I have never crated my dogs before and I have a question about leaving a water bowl in there.

I have not closed the door on the crate yet because they have no access to water when in there - is there anywhere (in Ireland or on the net) I can get a bowl that clips on to the side or what does everyone else do for water access?

Thanks!

I know you can get them at dog shows. Canninekennels.com have bolt on ones, but they are probably more for kennels. However, they do have non-tip bowls, whch they recommend for crates and these could, of course, be used elsewhwere, too. The trouble is that they are rather expensive.

i got this portable kennel in the intermediate size which i bought at a pet supply store, and i ordered the double cup plastic food/water container that snaps on the grill from this link (it's mentioned under replacement parts on this website). It's called 'double cup.' I don't know if they ship to the UK.

http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1546&SizeID=3

Here's one on US eBay:
CLICK

i became a believer in leaving the crate door open, surrounded by an xpen. But i know (from this forum) of a number of people who's dogs are happy crated during the night and when owners are away from home for limited periods. But as someone who went to work and left for as long as 4 hours, i felt way better once i got the xpen and left the crate door open.

I have a bowl that clips on to the cage, I think it was sold in a pet shop as being for a large caged bird.

Thanks for all your replies. I will do a search for crate bowls.

I think I will also look into getting an xpen as my new house is open plan downstairs but I reckon Bella for one will be able to find a way out. She has already figured out to get out of the baby gate :lol:

We have a stainless steel bowl which is for a large caged bird which we clip to the side of lady's pen and crate we bought it because she likes to have a paddle in the water bowl then run wet paws all over her blankets. She now barks at the water bowl because she can see her reflection in it that and any other shiny surface she can find she's so vain. :roll: As i said you don't need the tv on when you own a cav.

Hamster Waterer

What we did for our puppy was buy a hamster water feeder. It looks like an upsidown water bottle with a metal straw that has a ball at the bottom. Izzie licks it an water comes out (she figured this ut right away); when it isn't being licked the ball holds the water in the bottle. The whole things clips onto the outside of her crate which is nice because it doesn't take up room on the inside. We got it at petsmart for $6.

i like the idea of the hamster water feeder, seems like it wouldn't spill.

The one on ebay costs $2.50 and they say it ships to the UK. It also says free shipping on the item, but i can't imagine they would ship free to the UK from the US. you could PM the seller and ask.

Arne said:
I have a bowl that clips on to the cage, I think it was sold in a pet shop as being for a large caged bird.

I used a similar clip-on bowl at first. That worked very well but I felt it took up room. I wish we could have found a smaller one than the one we had.

So I tried a bottle water feeder. They make different sizes for rabbits or hamsters etc. Like Izzie, both pups learnt straight away how to use it. They just lick the ball bearing on the end of the spout and the water comes out of the upside-down bottle which is attached on the outside of the crate. I don't like to think of them having no access to water as we still shut the crate door at night and if we are out for a couple of hours in the day.

Re: Hamster Waterer

Izzie Bell's Mommy said:
What we did for our puppy was buy a hamster water feeder. It looks like an upsidown water bottle with a metal straw that has a ball at the bottom. Izzie licks it an water comes out (she figured this ut right away); when it isn't being licked the ball holds the water in the bottle. The whole things clips onto the outside of her crate which is nice because it doesn't take up room on the inside. We got it at petsmart for $6.

I have also done this and find it to work very well. She took to it very fast and seemed to enjoy it especially at first - like it was a fun water game :roll: . I originally got it becuase she was chocking when she was drinking and this helped her get the water down without throwing her face into the water bowl ( :sl*p: ) but I have left it there because it seems to work so well.

I have the bolt-on bowls like Duncans_ma's link. I don't put water in the plastic bowl; I put the water in a stainless steel bowl that fits in the plastic one. It's much easier to change the water using the stainless bowl. :flwr:

Back