• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy, Adult, Innova, EVO???

cavalicious

Hi everyone :flwr:

AUGH the confusion! Lol :lol:

First Question: Adult or Puppy food?

Second: Is it better to feed regular Innova or EVO?

Third: Or is it better to feed California Natural?

Thanks for putting up with me I just want everything to be perfect for Ollie! :D

First you'll want to find out what Ollie's breeder is feeding him, and get some of that food. Ollie should stay on his current diet for at least the first week or two, then gradually change him to the food of your choice.

We went through the same thing. India and Geordie's breeder was feeding them Royal Canin Adult 27, so we continued with that for awhile. Then our vet felt they should have puppy food, so we gave them Royal Canin puppy. Later we gradually switched them to Wellness and California Natural, before we discovered Innova Evo.

One consideration could be kibble size - the Royal Canin and Innova Evo have smaller kibble and might be easier for a young puppy to eat.

I just found another interesting food - Pinnacle trout and sweet potato - small kibbles and can be fed to adults or puppies. We got samples at the dog show last weekend, and our cavs love it.

Thanks Cathy :) Yeah we will start off on Purina Puppy ( :yuk: ) But I want to gradually change over. Thanks for the suggestions is Innova EVO ok for a puppy?

i think EVO is good for puppies. it's supposed to be like a raw diet in some ways. But the company that makes EVO does say that it is not designed for large or giant breed puppies, and they advise not giving it to them. based on my experience since changing to EVO, if i get another puppy, i'll be trying EVO from the start, unless i get a large dog, which seems unlikely right now. But each dog is different so you will learn by experience what is going to work best for you.

some people say that puppy formulas are unhealthy, they promote too much growth of the bones, out of proportion to growth of other tissue, and can increase the risk for skeletal problems. Laura Lang, a knowledgeable experienced cavalier breeder, posted about this on her webpage about feeding cavaliers, and this influenced me to stop feeding puppy kibble soon after i got zack when he was about 4 months. But i would like to have more information about this, the basis for saying this, and i searched the web but didn't find much.

I've never known anyone to report any problems or deficiencies from feeding "adult" kibble to puppies, though i've heard people say their vet recommended having a puppy on puppy kibble, but so many people say their pups flourish on "adult" food, i don't know why some vets recommend people change to puppy formulas. I doubt all vets would recommend it.

I checked my Innova Evo dog food bag, and it has the AAFCO seal of approval for all life stages, therefore it is good for pups.

If I ever get another puppy, I will feed him/her Evo, too.

Back