Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Behaviour ..... How to Retrain.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Behaviour ..... How to Retrain.

Mary Alice hasn't been in our car too much due to her desire to sit on the drivers' lap.

I'd like to retrain her to settle in the back seat, either laying down or looking out the window.

I have used the crate but she hates it.

We travel a lot and we need to get her comfortable & safe in the car.

Any suggestions for re-training a 2 1/2 year old??

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

there are many different styles of dog car seats available. Many have been discussed on the boards before and a quick google of dog car seats will probably give you plenty to sort through.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Will do ..... thanks. ;D

I was wondering if she can be re-trained to just sit pretty in the back seat, with or without a seat or seatbelt.

Does anyone leave their Cavalier loose in the car??

Post Thanks / Like

Our dogs are never in the car that long (only the short trip to the beach) but we have a "cradle" type blanket that goes on the back seat. Similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherpashaw-D.../dp/B000EQGUG8

This stops them being thrown around if you brake suddenly. It might be an alternative to strapping her in a harness?
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy
    Will do ..... thanks. ;D

I was wondering if she can be re-trained to just sit pretty in the back seat, with or without a seat or seatbelt.

Does anyone leave their Cavalier loose in the car??
    This is not a good idea for ANY dog. Even being held on someone's lap is preferable. Amber always travels in a crate. Holly will eventually be trained to do likewise, but at the moment I still hold her (I'm not a driver, so I'm always the passenger). On the very very rare occasions that she has been alone with the driver she usually went and curled in the alcove at the bottom of the passenger seat, if that makes sense- and even then, my grandmother told me about her being knocked against the side of the car when she has to break unexpectedly. That's not happening again. Even a soft crate is better than none! I did try her with the car seatbelt harnesses but she managed to get out of it!!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

We use crates whenever we go anywhere, only because we have crates. LOTS of crates I know there are lots of other options out there if you don't like using a crate.

I would never let a dog stay loose in a car. I would hate to have an accident and watch one of my "kids" go through the windshield. When I was a lot younger (20's), I had a cat that I used to take loose in my car until one day he decided to crawl under the clutch and I had to pull the shifter into neutral to stop; could have very easily been the brake.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for all of your suggestions.

I have looked at many kinds of car seats for Mary Alice but don't know which ones are good/bad.

She'll have to be in her crate for the time being but I do hope to find a way of keeping her secure and allowing her to enjoy the scenery.

I don't mind her being in the crate but she hates it.

She gets very upset, "scrabbles" at the door and howls.

I'm trying to find a way to have a secure and happy dog in the car.

Didn't know they could "get out" of seat belts...oh my!

Post Thanks / Like

We started out with a look-out seat for Jake

http://tinyurl.com/yx7kqe

Then he grew and grew and grew and moved into this
    http://tinyurl.com/y3ed7u

When we got Shelby I did away with car seats altogether and we use a harness attached to the seat belt.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They can twist themselves in the seat belts, too!

I use the softsided zippered crates with cozy crate pads in the car. My 3 usually fall asleep when we're driving, although sometimes India gets a little whiny at first.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

We use the stow-and-go car seat. We ordered them online from Home Depot, though they are available elsewhere. The base is a suitcase that detaches and you can store doggie items. The top folds out into a travel dog bed. Together, it provides a raised seat that attaches to the vehicle through the seatbelt. There's a strap and hook that secures to the dog's harness. You can see my girls like their seats and travel extremely well with them.

The black mesh that Willow is using as a pillow is detachable. It's simply velcro. When I first saw Willow do this, I took the mesh away. She didnt like it. She prefers her pillow.

Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), Holly (ruby), & Bella (blen)