• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Car Behaviour ..... How to Retrain.

Mary Alice finally has a harness with a seat belt loop on the back!

She's not too happy being belted in but I'm thrilled. ;D

Now, she can go everywhere with us....better than sitting in the window looking forlorn!

We've tried about 5 different things and today I found exactly what I wanted....she can walk with it and it keeps her in a sitting position in the back seat. The salesperson says she can also lay down...but I'll take the crate for longer trips.

Mary Alice was so surprized that she sat in *silence*!! cl*p

:rah: Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy go Mary Alice :rah:

My two have got seatbelt harnesses too Zippy and they both settle well in them. The only problem I have is that Maxx is like a small child and everytime I stop the car he starts singing excitedly - it's almost like he's asking 'Are we there yet, are we, are we?'

As soon as we start moving again he will huff loudly and lay back down again LOL

If Mary Alice doesn't settle again then try some Rescue Remedy for her, this is what I used a few times for Charlie as he used to panic in the car when we first got him.

Mary Alice is one determined cavvie!!

Today was her day to learn to stay in the car alone for 5 minutes.....when I came back, she was standing facing the rear of the seat with her harness pulled to one side. :roll:

Her ears were pinned right back.....poor baby, wonder what she's been through in her short life??

From the markings on the seat, she'd been trying to scratch her way out of the seat belt!!! :sl*p:

Guess I need to put a thick blanket under her before she rips the seat apart....the van is only a year old, so Hubby will be less than impressed if she rips it open!!

We'll have another go tomorrow....til she gets used to it. :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks to Maxs_Mummy and Shay for the support...hoping to avoid Rescue Remedy but might need it after all!!

It's great stuff.....our Charley needed it for thunderstorms.

Zippy....I just know that sweet little girl is going to "get it" soon. Your right, who knows what the poor baby has been through. With your patience and love, she can't lose. This little girls just has a special place in my heart. I just know she is going to be a great cavvie. We are all pulling for her. (y) Hugz from Lily and me. :hug:

gocamping said:
Great job Mary Alice. Here is a picture of Libby in her seat. We got this at Target. It's on rollers. It hooks to her collar. She can see out and if necessary we can even close the top. It is made to travel on planes too.

We looked at this carrier... the Boots and Barkely... our friend has it for her yorkie and they tried to take it on the plane and they were denied. They had to buy the Delta Sherpa at the gate (it wasn't that bad of a price for the Sherpa) and needless to say they aren't thrilled with that either.

Also, they just use the B&B in the car and with regular use (for about 3 weeks now) it is falling apart!! They are taking it back to Target, but are pretty sure they won't get a refund since the dog has already been in it. I was surprised because Target usually sells great stuff for doggies!! Our little Cicero's bed is from there (all 3 of em!).

Mary Alice Houdini escaped from her seatbelt harness this morning. :shock:

I left her for about 3 minutes, when I came back, she was sitting in the drivers' seat, wagging and smiling at me!!!!

I could hardly believe my eyes....everything was attached, in the back seat...this doggie must be the smartest dog on the planet!!! :sl*p:

Before you ask, yes it was on tight.....her new name is Chris Angel, Mind Freak!!

For those in the Europe, Chris Angel is an illusionist. A really good one!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Update: I've just sent an email to the company asking for suggestions.
If you want to see the harness, caninefriendly dot com
It's supposed to work!!

Zippy...That's hysterical. :lol: The Chris Angel part is too funny. That girl is something else.

Last weekend, we took a short journey, out of town with Mary Alice in her seatbelt harness.

She was pretty good, a bit of howling but Hubby put his hand back for her to lick...that stopped the howling, while I drove along the highway.

There and back, was about 2 hours of mostly highway driving, she was quieter on the way back, actually slept some of the way.

We were delighted!! :)

As the weather has been awful, we haven't ventured out again til today.

Drove Hubby to work, with Houdini as a passenger....I tried for another 5 minutes alone, while I ran into a shop.

When I left, she was securely seatbelted with her harness.

When I came back, she was smiling and wagging at me from the front passenger side!!!! :shock: :shock:

Everything was connected in the back seat, same as last time!!!

Mary Alice is so thrilled when I come back from shopping....but I'm not thrilled that she can escape.

Think we'll be gettting a second crate for the car!! :flwr: :flwr:

Oh Zippy.... :lol: I don't mean to laugh, but she is sure is the little escape artist. Do you know how she is getting out of the harness? Is there any way you can make her think you have gone off and watch her to see what she is doing? I was wondering how she was adjusting to her rides. Glad that the howling is getting better.

Shay....lol...I have no idea, none at all!!

I'm thinking it might be a blast to photograph her escaping...but how to hide from her with a video-camera??

There is a guy who panhandles outside our local drugstore, might slip him $10 to do it while I wait just inside....hope he wouldn't take off with the camera!!

Hubby jokes that she's an engineer and understands the mechanics of leverage!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"The Escapades of Mary Alice" or "Little Houdini, the Cavalier Furkid" would make a great children's book! :rotfl: BTW, I love your new Avatar.

Thanks...that was another surprize..after zooming around the yard, I called and said "sit". I was shocked again, cause she did!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you read the bit about her sleeping in her crate last night???

This little gal is full of surprizes lately!! :D

That's great! See, I told you this little girl would get it, and By George, I Think She's Got It. She's a smart cookie cl*p

Back