• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Car Behaviour ..... How to Retrain.

Zippy

Mary Alice hasn't been in our car too much due to her desire to sit on the drivers' lap.

I'd like to retrain her to settle in the back seat, either laying down or looking out the window.

I have used the crate but she hates it.

We travel a lot and we need to get her comfortable & safe in the car.

Any suggestions for re-training a 2 1/2 year old??

Thanks.

there are many different styles of dog car seats available. Many have been discussed on the boards before and a quick google of dog car seats will probably give you plenty to sort through.

Will do ..... thanks. ;D

I was wondering if she can be re-trained to just sit pretty in the back seat, with or without a seat or seatbelt.

Does anyone leave their Cavalier loose in the car??

Zippy said:
Will do ..... thanks. ;D

I was wondering if she can be re-trained to just sit pretty in the back seat, with or without a seat or seatbelt.

Does anyone leave their Cavalier loose in the car??

This is not a good idea for ANY dog. Even being held on someone's lap is preferable. Amber always travels in a crate. Holly will eventually be trained to do likewise, but at the moment I still hold her (I'm not a driver, so I'm always the passenger). On the very very rare occasions that she has been alone with the driver she usually went and curled in the alcove at the bottom of the passenger seat, if that makes sense- and even then, my grandmother told me about her being knocked against the side of the car when she has to break unexpectedly. That's not happening again. Even a soft crate is better than none! I did try her with the car seatbelt harnesses but she managed to get out of it!!

We use crates whenever we go anywhere, only because we have crates. LOTS of crates :shock: I know there are lots of other options out there if you don't like using a crate.

I would never let a dog stay loose in a car. I would hate to have an accident and watch one of my "kids" go through the windshield. When I was a lot younger (20's), I had a cat that I used to take loose in my car until one day he decided to crawl under the clutch and I had to pull the shifter into neutral to stop; could have very easily been the brake.

Thankyou for all of your suggestions.

I have looked at many kinds of car seats for Mary Alice but don't know which ones are good/bad.

She'll have to be in her crate for the time being but I do hope to find a way of keeping her secure and allowing her to enjoy the scenery.

I don't mind her being in the crate but she hates it.

She gets very upset, "scrabbles" at the door and howls.

I'm trying to find a way to have a secure and happy dog in the car.

Didn't know they could "get out" of seat belts...oh my! :lol:

They can twist themselves in the seat belts, too! :shock:

I use the softsided zippered crates with cozy crate pads in the car. My 3 usually fall asleep when we're driving, although sometimes India gets a little whiny at first. :roll:

We use the stow-and-go car seat. We ordered them online from Home Depot, though they are available elsewhere. The base is a suitcase that detaches and you can store doggie items. The top folds out into a travel dog bed. Together, it provides a raised seat that attaches to the vehicle through the seatbelt. There's a strap and hook that secures to the dog's harness. You can see my girls like their seats and travel extremely well with them.

carseat.jpg

The black mesh that Willow is using as a pillow is detachable. It's simply velcro. When I first saw Willow do this, I took the mesh away. She didnt like it. She prefers her pillow. :roll:

willowcarseat.jpg

Luckily, so far, every doggie I have ever owned (okay just one) was small enough to fit in a small petflys carrier, which can be buckled into the car seat and stays pretty well... but my friends with larger dogs recommend both the pet lookout (with harness attachment) and just the plain old harness attachment that goes on a seat belt (which is properly secured keep the dog in place and do not tangle).

After seeing a link that showed what can happen in a crash if your dog was not strapped in, I vowed NEVER to let my dog run loose in the car. (that sherpanet thing looks like it would be comfy and work nicely for short trips). Also, if you have airbags you may want to think twice about the dog sitting on the passengers lap. And I never recommend the dog be sitting on the drivers lap, both because of airbags and just too plain distracting and hazardous!

I think there may be a link around here somewhere, if I can find it I will post it. The video shows two Crash Test Dummy Dogs - one restrained, one not- in the event of a crash. The poor unrestrained doggie gets completely tossed, while the other one (who could possibly still get minor injuries) was still in his general seating area with less tossing.

I *do* like the Stow & Go .... checked it out online and it states that it's good up to 19 lbs.

Mary Alice is just under 18 lbs.

We cannot tell if she's been spayed, supposedly was but there is no visible incision.

Do the girls gain weight after the op??

Willow and Cedar look very content in their car beds...especially Willow! ;D

Thanks again for the links, photos and information.

It's very much appreciated. :)

I do not use a car seat. For awhile I was using a harness/hook that I slid over the seat-belt and attached to Tucker's collar or harness. It was not long enough, he was getting strangled by it. I only let Tucker in the back seat. I drive a small car, a Toyota Corolla that has high bucket seats, and very foamy head rests. The seats are in the most furthest back position as I'm tall and have long legs, even if I stop short Tucker does not get tossed around because there is almost no room to go in the back seat. I still worry about the possibility of an accident, but no car-seats I've looked at seemed as safe to me as the back seat with nothing. I do not let him sit in the front seat, it's too dangerous, as Cathy said he could get under the brake or gas pedal if he slipped off the seat, there is also too much room in the front seat between the seat and the dashboard / windshield. I also only remove Tucker from the car from the back passenger side. I keep the child safety locks on at all times when Tucker is in the car because he can and has operated the power window buttons on his own.

Here is the link that I talked about in above post:

http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckle/sledtest.htm

The video shows a car crash test on a sled with two "dog test dummies" one restrained and one not. It shows it from a variety of angles. The restrained dog still gets tossed around, but he stays in his seating area and at least he doesn't go through the windshield (poor test dummy doggie).

IMO, I would buckle my 3 year old in, right? Why not my Furkid as well.... lol!

We have a "lookout" booster seat for our little one that you can attach the harness to.

Zippy said:
I *do* like the Stow & Go .... checked it out online and it states that it's good up to 19 lbs.

Mary Alice is just under 18 lbs.

We cannot tell if she's been spayed, supposedly was but there is no visible incision.

Do the girls gain weight after the op??

Willow and Cedar look very content in their car beds...especially Willow! ;D

Thanks again for the links, photos and information.

It's very much appreciated. :)

No, spaying does not cause a dog to gain weight. Diet and exercise controls body fat in dogs, just like in humans.

Is Zippy's 18 lbs appropriate for her frame? In otherwords, would it be healthy for her to lose weight?

You can purchase a seatbelt harness that attaches the dog straight to human seatbelt. They are more appropriate for larger dogs, in my opinion. But the Look Out Bench in Cathy's post is good up to 70 lbs. It would raise Zippy to the window AND keep the dog fur off the car apolstery, which is always a plus.

Please, please do not even consider anything this dangerous for her or for you and any passengers in the car (without a belt or crate, that is). A dog would be unlikely to survive an impact if it hit the back seat and a collision at just 25mph would throw her at minimum 25mph straight into the back of the seat in front of her, most likely breaking her neck. At any higher speed, she is likely to be hurled airborne at which point she could break YOUR neck. Also many emergency services will not even try to rescue a dog that is not crated from any kind of car accident. Some have specific rules against this. This too is a reason for crating.

She needs either to be trained to use a seatbelt harness specially designed for dogs and approved as safe (not all are -- go for the best one you can buy) or to travel in a crate. Most dogs are BETTER in a crate with a dark sheet over it as this is a very calming environment. I transport a lot of cavaliers for rescue and almost all will settle before long in a crate where they CANNOT see out, for a long journey. It is the movement of scenery past the car that actually makes most dogs anxious and sick.

Training to travel in a car takes time and patience. You can start by rewarding her just for sitting quietly in her harness on the back seat. Progress to driving around the block, then up to longer trips. But for long trips I much prefer crates, as some dogs can get tangled, sometimes painfully, in some types of seatbelt harnesses (I've used a few) and a crate just makes the whole travel thing much easier and less prone to problems.

If you search this board for other discussion on car transport you will see much discussion about what to use. :)

Hi Karlin,

I do use the crate but she just hates it.
Mary Alice gets very frantic in the crate, either in the house or car.

I don't know what it is that upsets her but I totally agree that she shouldn't be loose in the car.

It's hard to drive with a howler in the back but that's how we go to the vets.

I am taking her on short rides but she flips out in the crate.

Hopefully, someday she'll settle..... ;D

Update.......

We took Mary Alice to be microchipped today.

She stayed quiet in the crate til the car stopped!!

The vet is about a 10-15 minute drive.......we're thrilled!!

Good going, Mary Alice!! :rah:

Great job Mary Alice. Here is a picture of Libby in her seat. We got this at Target. It's on rollers. It hooks to her collar. She can see out and if necessary we can even close the top. It is made to travel on planes too.

2006CavPuppyPictures003.jpg

Back