• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coughing :-(

Hello there,

Hope you all had a good Christmas. We're just back from Wales, which was very nice :) Charlie is still coughing a bit (mostly first thing in the morning), but he had a lovely time and was as good as gold in the car - just sat and dozed and was really calm. We stopped off quite a few times for break - he was really brill :) We had a lovely cottage with an open fire, and he got to have several little walks during the day. He's going back to the vet for a check up tomorrow - hopefully the Vetmedin will have had some effect.

Thank you all again for all your best wishes. I really do appreciate it - it's really nice to be able to post here and get help from people who really care.

And here's lots of photos from hols!! (he's not looking bad for 14, is he? :D)

Thank you,
Pepsi x

337512642_462410522a_m.jpg
337512645_ecd4151abe_m.jpg
337512646_9f61ef61f7_m.jpg
337512648_2af2bdbafd_m.jpg

337512654_ca51851f4e_m.jpg
337512656_947f86ea90_m.jpg
337518073_48751d7bab_m.jpg
337518074_b5c7b07141_m.jpg

337518076_79df183e23_m.jpg
337518077_bd834f9eb2_m.jpg
337518080_34bc6d37a9_m.jpg
337518082_fc5683cfbd_m.jpg

So glad you made the trip. Charlie sure looks like he enjoyed himself.
I had Rudee on Vetmedin for about six years and she was great on it. I even managed to decrease the dose from 1 tab twice daily to half tab twice daily and she had no problems with it. The pics are great and it's so wonderful to see such a beautiful 14 yr old boy enjoying himself.

:flwr:

Wow, the photos are wonderful, and it looks like Charlie had a very nice time in Wales! He sure does have a nice comfy bed :)

(Just found your thread over here in the MVD forum.)

Charlie is beautiful, Pepsi. Loved the photos of him: he looks to have enjoyed his holiday.
Sorry to hear about Izzy, too, Barbara. I understand about you moving to be near him during the night.
I was the same with my little Dickens. I even made a pallet to be near him all thru the night. He sought out cold places, even outside on the pond ice or in the snow. At night alongside the colder exterior walls of the room. His legs gave out one night.
As I was reading your notes about the night time coughing, I got to wondering if having their head and/or upper body elevated a bit would help? It does for humans sometimes. Just a thought.
Hugs, Dorothy and Om

Pepsi,

Never mind about him not looking bad for a 14 yr old I think he's fab! I tell you what, if i still have my Maxx when he's 14 I will consider myself completely blessed :D

I'm so glad you all had a lovely time in wales, the cottage looks gorgeous and Charlie looks more than contented there :hug:

How is he doing now?

Hiya - Charlie is actually doing really well at the moment :D His coughing has got much better (we increased the diuretics, and added Vetmedin). He was also having problems with his back legs (stiffness & weakness) which seems to have got much better too.

So overall he's pretty good at the moment - he's happy and pretty lively for an old man. Long may it continue :)
Pepsi x

Wonderful news :flwr: Hope he continues to do so well. He's such a gorgeous, dignified old man :lotsaluv: :flwr:

What a handsome boy! I never would have guessed that he was 14! Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip and that he is doing so well!

:flwr:

Hi all,

Thanks for all your best wishes. Not posted here in a while - been busy busy with new job.

Charlie is still doing pretty well. He still coughs a bit, and we now think that's because of his enlarged heart, rather than because he has fluid on his lungs. The vet can't hear any fliud at the moment, and he seems to cough mostly when he's in a funny position (e.g. he can't tolerate sleeping on his side for long nowadays).

He gets pretty stiff sometimes, poor old boy. The other morning he didn't seem to be able to put any weight on one of his front legs. But that didn't last long, and generally he still manages to go for walks with no adverse side effects. The walks are only about 10 mins long, but he loves them.

I think he's got a pretty great attitude all in all. He has so many health problems, but he's still a happy old boy and enjoys life. Hope I'll be the same when I'm in his situation! Only negative is that he wakes us up most mornings at about 5am cos he needs to go pee! Zzzzz.

Pepsi x

Glad to hear he's doing so well!! :) He's such a trooper!! I had to get up with my bordeaux 2x in the middle of the night so you're still doing better than I was, LOL. ;)

Glad things are going well - I just love him. ;) Nice to hear an update! :flwr:

Thanks Sara :) By the way, I saw the pics of Trixie. She's absolutely goregous (as is Kosmo).

Pepsi,

I'm so pleased Charlie is coping better now :flwr: send him to us Monday to Friday overnight as hubby is up for work before 5am - he can let both the Charlie's out together :lol:

Charlie

I was rereading some posts and saw yours about Charlie. He is SUCH a handsome guy. I'm so glad that he's doing okay. The pictures from your trip are wonderful. Your comments about him reminded me of our Toby (who's in the "In Memoriam" section). They both have the same dignified look of old gentlemen and the same perseverance in face of lots of health problems. These older dogs are great and worth every minute.

Margaret

Back