• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need some guidance.....Please!

Zippy

Hi,

It's not 6 am here and I've been up with Mary Alice since 4:20 am.

She woke me up by walking on me, licking me, etc.

I took her outside, thinking it might be a toileting issue.

After a pee, she wanted walkies...we came back in but she won't settle.

I went back to bed, tried ignoring her.

She's raced up and down the stairs, howled and barked.

We've checked everything...alls well, except Mary Alice.

We've put her in her crate and "shhh-ed" her.

She's been barking, howling and "scrabbling" in her crate for over an hour.

Now, she's whining loudly and seems terribly upset.

I'm trying to ignore her...but we're a wee bit tired and I have no idea what's wrong with her.

Other than some "acting up" when we first got her, she's been quite good at night. Til tonight.

Please feel free to leave suggestions. I'm close to posting my phone number and taking collect calls!!!

Mary Alice is now out of the crate...had to quieten her.

She really hates the crate.

She's just raced downstairs yet again.

It's nearly 6:45, almost time to get up...hope this is a "one off".

Hi Eileen, didn't see your post ...

She's 2 1/2 yrs and we've had her for a month.

We know she's been abused.....but I don't know what's wrong.

Mary Alice just went down for a drink, no more howling.

We've had a cuddle and a quiet patting session.

Guess who's just curled up.....both of us.

Wonder what that was all about??

Any ideas on how to handle it better?? tx

maybe she heard something that frightened her and made her remember something from the time she was abused.
How come she hates her crate so much? Was this from the first day on? How did you introduced her to the thing?

I have had this experience with each of my cavs at one time or another, and really don't understand it, either. Sometimes they need to wee, then they need to poo, but not in the same trip. :roll: India has needed a drink of water, like your little girl. Sometimes I think they might be hungry or they just have lots of energy and need to be up.

After all that fuss, she slept on the bed til I woke up just before 11!

We were told that she's been spayed but there is no apparent scar.

Don't know why she hates the crate so much...it's a real problem.

Thanks Cathy, for posting that your doggies have done this too.

It was pouring down yesterday and we only went for two walkies.

That's the only thing that "seems" amiss.

Mary Alice is just sooo loud when she howls....oh, my!! :roll:

Thanks for all the responses, please cross your paws that it doesn't happen again!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Jake had some episodes where he just freaked out for no apparent reason. He's 4 years old and has been with us since day one. All of a sudden he would flip his head around like he heard something, then slink around the house with his tail tucked and cower. It was really weird. We went through it for several weeks. I took him to the vet and everything checked out physically. On the advice of several people I learned to ignore him when he started it. If I gave him attention and tried to comfort him it seemed to feed into the behavior. When he would do this I would let him basically get it out of his system. No overt comforts and concern. Sure enough he eventually worked himself out of it. Never did figure out what caused it.

Thanks Cathy,

Mary Alice didn't appear to be frightened, she was very energetic and happy til I crated her.

I thought she just needed to go outside for a pee or whatever.

The problem, howling, barking and running around began when I returned to bed.

She kept jumping on both of us, licking like mad...wouldn't stop.

Hubby thinks she needs a "five mile walk"...lol....as he's yawning his head off! ;D

I feel so bad for her.....we don't know everything she's been through...its' tough to know what's wrong. tx.

You could make her like the crate by leaving it open and dropping some sweets (or anything alse she really likes to eat) in it and letting her come out and in as she pleases. Then later on you can try closing the door for a few seconds and opening it again so she can come out. Allways make her go in with the treats in it, don't push her when she doesn't want to! this way she learns there's nothing threatening about it and you can build up the time you leave her in there with the door closed. This takes some time and patience off course, but it works for most of the dogs!
Hope this helps! :xfngr:

Hmmm, when my pups jump on me and lick intensely for no apparent reason, it means they have to go potty. Maybe she needed one trip for #1 and a second trip for #2?

estertje said:
You could make her like the crate by leaving it open and dropping some sweets (or anything alse she really likes to eat) in it and letting her come out and in as she pleases. Then later on you can try closing the door for a few seconds and opening it again so she can come out. Allways make her go in with the treats in it, don't push her when she doesn't want to! this way she learns there's nothing threatening about it and you can build up the time you leave her in there with the door closed. This takes some time and patience off course, but it works for most of the dogs!
Hope this helps! :xfngr:
This sounds like a really good idea. Later, when she thinks of it as her nice bed, every now and then tell her to go in her bed, then give her a treat when she complies. She'll always associate it with something good.

Cathy, that's what I thought too.

After a pee, she headed down the sidewalk....she got very annoyed when we came back in and all H broke loose!!

It's 11:35 and she hasn't done a poop but has been out again twice.

Ester, thanks for the crating tips, it has been open..I store the toys in it. lol
She won't go in for a biscuit, she just cries til you get the biscuit for her.
I think it relates to being abused somehow.

We *do* need to sort out this thing about being confined, I need to be able to car train her. What if she rips up her Stow & Go!!

maybe you can built it up, give the treat in front of the crate and let her move closer every time, then attached to it and finally in the crate, but close enough so she doesn't have to get in it to get the treat, just her head, and so on, each time a little further in the crate until she entirely goes in it to get it.
I wonder what happened to her before! Poor little thing, I bet they used the crate to punish her or something like that. People like that should be locked in a crate for a long time too! :x

in her prior life, she may have just been abandoned in the crate for long periods, perhaps all the time, maybe forced to pee and poo inside her crate, maybe not fed enough or regularly. maybe she longed to get out, and now has unpleasant associations to the crate and being crated.

I really feel for you. As you say, i hope it's just the once since she wasn't doing it before. i'll be interested to hear a follow up report on that...

Judy, I think you're right, one never knows exactly what a rescue has been through......they need time and lots of patience.

Mary Alice is such a beautiful doggie, she tries so hard to do the "right" thing....but you can see that she's been properly trained somewhere along the way.

We've been fortunate, not had any more "nutty nights"!

Maybe it was a one-off! ;D

Please, everyone cross their fingers and paws that I'm right! lol

you mentioned rain the day before. Is it possible that she was hearing thunder rumblings or somthing to do with the weather? Our Laci hates hates hates the thunder, or fireworks. Sometimes she hears it when we don't. She goes under the bed when it thunders or she hears fireworks. We live close to a professional football/baseball stadium and they have fireworks often.

Just my thoughts.

Nean

Back